Empathetic Civilization

28 Nov 2010 16:26 - 29 Nov 2010 12:32 #1 by Scruffy
I recently read this book (thanks to the Jefferson County Library system) and was surprised to see that the author has an article at Huffington. The book is "Empathic Civilization" by Jeremy Rifkin. I would recommend it. Here's a excerpt from the article (written in February):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeremy-ri ... =fb&src=sp

In the past two weeks, President Obama has made an unprecedented plea for civility in public discourse. Washington insiders say they can't ever recall a period in American public life as full of anger and polarization as now. TV and radio talk show hosts, in particular, have fanned the flames of hatred with occasional outrageous personal attacks on public figures and advocates of policy agendas with which they disagree. If we continue along this toxic road, it could lead to unfathomable damage to the American psyche. The question is "Why is The United States becoming so uncivil"?

When we talk about civility, we are really talking about empathy: the willingness to listen to another's point of view, to put one's self in another's shoes and to emotionally and cognitively experience what they are feeling and thinking. To civilize is to empathize.

Below all of the fiery rhetoric and finger pointing, the acid comments and degrading personal attacks, is a deep-seated fear and mistrust of the "the other"- in other words, a lack of empathy.

My sense is that the fear that is spreading like a wild fire across America is due, in large part, to a seismic shift occurring in our thinking about the most cherished values of American life: our notions of freedom, equality, and democracy. In other words, what we are really discussing- underneath the surface of the political and ideological debates- are our beliefs about the basic drives and aspirations of human beings.

It's basically about putting yourself in the shoes of those with which you disagree, to have some empathy rather than an "us vs. them" mentality. Just thought I would share this, as it seems the divide between left & right on this board seems to be growing wider and wider. A little civility goes a long ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Nov 2010 11:44 #2 by ckm8
Replied by ckm8 on topic Empathetic Civilization
I think it's deliberate. If they can keep the voters at each others throats we are unlikely to unite to demand campaign finance reform and put an end to the corporate takeover of our nation.

29 Nov 2010 11:50 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Empathetic Civilization

ckm8 wrote: I think it's deliberate. If they can keep the voters at each others throats we are unlikely to unite to demand campaign finance reform and put an end to the corporate takeover of our nation.

That is very civil of you.

29 Nov 2010 12:23 #4 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Empathetic Civilization
FYI Scruffy:

I would think the word would be Empathetic, Jus' saying

29 Nov 2010 12:32 #5 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Empathetic Civilization

Nmysys wrote: FYI Scruffy:

I would think the word would be Empathetic, Jus' saying

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out! Imagine how embarrassed I would be if anyone else notices!

I'll just quietly go change it.

29 Nov 2010 12:33 #6 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Scruffy wrote: I recently read this book (thanks to the Jefferson County Library system) and was surprised to see that the author has an article at Huffington. The book is "Empathic Civilization" by Jeremy Rifkin. I would recommend it. Here's a excerpt from the article (written in February):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeremy-ri ... =fb&src=sp

In the past two weeks, President Obama has made an unprecedented plea for civility in public discourse.

It's basically about putting yourself in the shoes of those with which you disagree, to have some empathy rather than an "us vs. them" mentality. Just thought I would share this, as it seems the divide between left & right on this board seems to be growing wider and wider. A little civility goes a long ways.

Oh you mean like this

[youtube:3slcserf]
[/youtube:3slcserf]

29 Nov 2010 12:34 #7 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Empathetic Civilization
I buy you books, send you to school and what do you do? You eat the teacher!

29 Nov 2010 12:36 #8 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: I buy you books, send you to school and what do you do? You eat the teacher!

Huh?

29 Nov 2010 12:40 #9 by JusSayin
Replied by JusSayin on topic Empathetic Civilization

Scruffy wrote: ...we are really talking about empathy: the willingness to listen to another's point of view, to put one's self in another's shoes and to emotionally and cognitively experience what they are feeling and thinking.

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just had an LJ moment!!!

On a serious note, so liberals put on conservative shoes; and conservatives put on liberal shoes.

And then we still have two divided sides, just arguing from the respective opposite points of view.

No...I don't like it.

29 Nov 2010 12:43 #10 by Scruffy

JusSayin wrote:

Scruffy wrote: ...we are really talking about empathy: the willingness to listen to another's point of view, to put one's self in another's shoes and to emotionally and cognitively experience what they are feeling and thinking.

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just had an LJ moment!!!

On a serious note, so liberals put on conservative shoes; and conservatives put on liberal shoes.

And then we still have two divided sides, just arguing from the respective opposite points of view.

No...I don't like it.

Well, it's more like "Oh, now I see why you're such a moonbat." I'm trying more to see and understand other people's viewpoints. Not always easy, especially when I try to think like Nmysys. Boy, that guy is really f***ked up. :jk2:

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds