America’s Rich Muslim Heritage

12 Feb 2011 14:43 #1 by outdoor338
Got this from a friend of mine, any thoughts?

Barack Obama, in his Cairo speech, said: “I know, too, that Islam has always been a part of America ‘s story.” :VeryScared:
Were those Muslims that were in America when the Pilgrims first landed? :no: Funny, I thought they were Native American Indians.
Were those Muslims that celebrated the first Thanksgiving day? :no: Sorry again, those were Pilgrims and Native American Indians.
Can you show me one Muslim signature on the United States Constitution? :no: Declaration of Independence? :no: Bill of Rights? :no:

http://texasfred.net/archives/6642

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2011 15:01 #2 by archer
Are you, ok, your article, saying that if your relatives weren't here when America was born then you aren't part of America's story? Any story has many chapters.....even if you aren't mentioned till chapter 12 you have "always" been a part of that story.

12 Feb 2011 15:11 #3 by Nmysys
Nice try, but it is Spin, Spin, Spin and not in any an explanation of What he said, nor an excuse.

12 Feb 2011 15:23 #4 by archer

Nmysys wrote: Nice try, but it is Spin, Spin, Spin and not in any an explanation of What he said, nor an excuse.

wow....good for you, my post was not intended to be either an explanation nor an excuse......so you got that part right.

12 Feb 2011 15:45 #5 by major bean
"....always..."

Regards,
Major Bean

12 Feb 2011 16:18 #6 by pineinthegrass
Muslims have certainly been a part of the early history of the United States. But many were brought here from Africa as slaves, and didn't have the opportunities that free men had to participate in the government. But some did serve in the Revolutionary War.

Here's one example of a person you might recall...

In 1767, Kunta Kinte was captured and enslaved. Kunta Kinte was a Muslim born in 1750, in the village of Juffure in Gambia. He was shipped to Annapolis, Maryland on the ship Lord Ligonier and sold to a Virginia planter. Kunta Kinte fought hard to hold on to his Islamic heritage. Having learned the Qur’an as a boy Kunta scratched Arabic phrases in the dirt and tried to pray every day after he arrived in America. Kunta Kinte was Alex’s Haley Mandingo forbearer, who he talks about in his book Roots.

And we've made early treaties with Muslim nations...

In 1777 Morocco becomes the first country to acknowledge America’s independence as a new country.

In 1784 Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and John Adams was commissioned to negotiate a treaty with the Emperor of Morocco.

In 1786 Morocco became the sixth and the first Muslim country to sign a Peace Treaty with the United States in 1786. Algeria in 1795, Tripoli in 1796, Tunis in 1797, and Muscat (Oman) in 1833 followed.

And here's a well known treaty...

In 1797 the Treaty of Tripole in Article 11 reads:

Article 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

The treaty was signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796 and at Algiers on January 3, 1797, finally receiving ratification from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by President John Adams on June 10, 1797.

This link give the names of many Muslims who lived in the US (or what was to become the US) in the 1700's...

http://www.muslimsinamerica.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=28

And here is even earlier history of Muslims in what was to become the US...

http://www.muslimsinamerica.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28

12 Feb 2011 17:02 #7 by archer
hmmmmmm....that pretty much covers "always" eh major bean?????

12 Feb 2011 17:14 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic America’s Rich Muslim Heritage
Why are you always going back, deal with the now. They are here and we are the land of the free! so Muslims have every right to live among us unless they break the law just like anyone else. And they are not bad people as a whole. Just like we tell the liberals that lump all tea partiers as racists. Don't you see this is the same thing?

My family are original descendant's of the Mayflower and very English and my whole family is part of the sons of the american revolution. To be part of that you have to have original american heritage. Do I give a damn that hundreds of years ago a muslim did not fight for my country? Hell no. Why would I want to exclude a bunch of people that didn't have the fortune, as you all seem to put it, of fighting in our war. This is modern times. Live in the now.

WTH?

12 Feb 2011 17:23 #9 by outdoor338
which decedent CG? Just wondering!

12 Feb 2011 17:23 #10 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic America’s Rich Muslim Heritage
Outdoor not sure what you mean?

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds