America’s Rich Muslim Heritage

14 Feb 2011 09:54 #61 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic America’s Rich Muslim Heritage
:yeahthat:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2011 09:59 #62 by LadyJazzer

14 Feb 2011 10:17 #63 by lionshead2010
Hey Bailey Bud. I haven't spent as much time as you in the Muslim world, but I have spent two years there working closely with the people. That being said, I originally posted this editorial discussing a Pew Research Center survey on another thread but it seems more appropriate here. What do you make of the findings in this survey? Do you think these numbers are off or about right?

Just wondering...

Editorial: What Egyptians Really Want

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysi ... o-Want.htm

Islamofascism: Romantics in Western media expect "democracy" to flower from the anti-Mubarak rioting in Cairo. But polling shows Egyptians actually seek strict Islamic rule.

According to a major survey conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, adults in Egypt don't crave Western-style democracy, as pundits have blithely trumpeted throughout coverage of the unrest...Far from it, the vast majority of them want a larger role for Islam in government.

• 49% of Egyptians say Islam plays only a "small role" in public affairs under President Hosni Mubarak, while 95% prefer the religion play a "large role in politics."

• 84% favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith.

• 82% support stoning adulterers.

• 77% think thieves should have their hands cut off.

• 54% support a law segregating women from men in the workplace.

• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.

• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.

• 30% have a favorable opinion of Hezbollah.

• 20% maintain positive views of al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden.

• 82% of Egyptians dislike the U.S. — the highest unfavorable rating among the 18 Muslim nations Pew surveyed.

Egyptians are revolting against Western-style democracy. The Pew poll reveals they do not, in fact, value our principles of individual freedoms, human rights and separation of religion and state.

For the sake of discussion, I'm going to say that this survey isn't too far off. So given that, I'm curious about some recent examples of some of the following beliefs in the Christian World:

-A larger role for religion in politics (this one may be arguable)

-Execution of non-believers

-Stoning of adulterers

-Cutting the hands off of thieves

-Segregation of women in the work place

-Tacit support of known terrorist organizations

Do you consider these values and beliefs compatible with America's values and beliefs? Would you say these are common and welcome values in a Rich American heritage? My experience is that Christians and Muslims DO share many common values but there are also significant differences in how we see the world.

In this thread I have been trying to track and participate in a discussion about Muslims being a part of America's culture. I won't deny that they have played a part in the evolution of the nation but I see a real disconnect in values and can't see how the beliefs suggested in the survey will EVER be welcome in America.

Do you think Muslims (Islam) in America "value our principles of individual freedoms, human rights and separation of religion and state"? Or do you think they are anomalies as compared to the Muslims of the Middle East and Asia? I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

14 Feb 2011 10:53 #64 by bailey bud
The original source is here:

http://pewglobal.org/files/2010/12/2010 ... -01-13.png

You can read the entire report here:
http://pewglobal.org/2010/12/02/muslims ... /#prc-jump

AND - you'll see tremendous diversity in the views held by Muslims - just as you'll see tremendous diversity in the views held by Christians. Turkey - which is slightly smaller than Egypt --- has very different views of the world.

I think this particular point is taken out-of-context.

a) The Mufti from Al-Azhar University has made it clear that Muslims should treat converts to Christianity "as if they were dead" (virtual killing). They believe that it's Allah's perogative to punish the infidel - not man's. (Al Azhar University is the highest ranking Islamic authority. They are to Sunni muslims what the Vatican is to Catholics). Regardless of what the masses say - the high authority has already ruled out the practice - and in Islam - the high authority rules.

b) There's a lot of focus on adultery - but if you read Sharia carefully --- there must be three (3) witnesses to the specific physical act. Tell me - what do you think the chances are that three individuals will witness the actual, physical act??? It's similar to Jesus saying "let him who is without sin cast the first stone." The rule is in the book. However, it becomes un-enforcable 99.999 percent of the time. From what I've seen - adultery isn't that unusual in Egypt (common in Cairo) - while capital punishment is relatively rare. Of course - I suppose that's the reality the Brotherhood is reacting to.

I would add that while the survey respondents appear to support stoning, etc..
there's not a lot of reports of them actually practicing it (regardless of the government's stance). When you read/hear about stoning - it's usually in Iran, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. While I imagine it happens occasionally, in Egypt - you sure don't see it reported very often (through mission circles, human rights organizations, etc.)

Finally, I'd note that Muslims in America are demonstrably more liberal than the individuals in this survey (by Pew's measure). I think people change over time.

14 Feb 2011 11:47 #65 by Mayhem

bailey bud wrote: The link from the original post asks where Muslims were during the Civil Rights Movement.

:lol: rofllol So let's see. If he had this button then palastinians would be part of Cuba's history? :lol: rofllol

14 Feb 2011 13:59 #66 by bailey bud
To repeat my opinion one final time:

The point of the link in the original post was to marginalize Muslims, by responding to (disorted)
statements made by the President.

I don't feel any need to distort the President's words.

Nor do I feel it necessary to marginalize Muslims by denying their role in the history of America (or the world).

My beliefs are hardly politically correct. I'm an evangelical and a Republican (neither of which is politically correct).

There are better ways to be a patriot - and better ways to be a Christian.

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it --- regardless of what anyone else might say.

14 Feb 2011 14:37 #67 by Pony Soldier
Here's an interesting link to the library of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html

Attitudes towards Islam were not so different back then it seems.

15 Feb 2011 14:22 #68 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic America’s Rich Muslim Heritage
[youtube:2sca0vns]
[/youtube:2sca0vns]

www.ted.com They've been called the "saints of Somalia." Doctors Hawa Abdi and Deqo Mohamed talk about their medical clinic in Somalia, where -- in the face of civil war and open oppression of women -- they've built a hospital, a school and a community of peace.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds