sadness

13 Jan 2011 23:39 #161 by PeaceLove+Happiness
Replied by PeaceLove+Happiness on topic sadness
First of all I would like to thank Dr. Lori Johnson for educating the community on what ringworm really is and the options that IMHS had. I would also like to thank Wendy for her honesty and eye opening posts.

My daughter and I began volunteering for the organization in 1995. We chose to volunteer at IMHS because it was a no kill shelter. We became a foster home and fostered over 600 animals over 10 years. Most of the animals we fostered were dogs, but we fostered some cats and kittens too. Every time you bring animals that you don’t know the history of into your home (strays, owner surrender, etc.) there is a risk of bringing in diseases. Throughout the years we dealt with countless health problems including ringworm, giardia, mange, and even a litter of puppies that had parvo. After hours and hours at the vets office (thank you Lori), and night shifts at the IMHS shelter, all the puppies survived. At that time IMHS used the logo “compassion and care.” After finding out that the current board of directors decided to euthanize instead of save lives, makes me feel that they have no compassion and they don’t care. I contracted ringworm three times during the time I volunteered, and I can say from experience, it is not a big deal. No member of my family got ringworm, and neither did any of my own animals (10 dogs and 3 cats.) I would like to ask Intermountain what they would do if one of the dogs they took in has mange?? Do all the animals in the shelter have to die then too?? There have been many suggestions to shut up and donate, donate, donate…I could not (with a clear conscience) donate a penny to an organization that would do such an outrageous thing. There are plenty of organizations I would gladly give my money to.

As stated on the IMHS website, “Intermountain Humane Society has depended entirely upon voluntary donations made by individuals and businesses in the communities we serve; we also benefit from grant monies and donations from philanthropic foundations. Unlike other shelters in our area, IMHS receives no governmental support.” For a shelter that depends entirely upon community support, how could you make the decision that you made without asking the community for help first?? It is an outrage!! I would also like to ask Dianna Whitlock this: after seeing all the input from the community members that keep this organization going, how can you directly state “We considered all of our options and I would NOT have done anything differently.” After reading the posts by CreatureKeeper, LahLah (whose foster kittens were euthanized), this incident, and Dianna’s comments this evening, I wonder how many animals were euthanized for no good reason. For the sake of the animals, these incompetent people need to leave this organization and competent, people who care for the well being of the animals need to take over….otherwise IMHS and the animals in our community are doomed.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26 ... etail.html

http://www.imhs.org/history.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2011 06:09 #162 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic sadness

Surveyor wrote: The board should be replaced. I saw the channel 7 coverage and am not only very sad for the kitties that were victimized by this board that apparently cares very little for life, but very angry that when the "shelter" opens it will only have dogs in it. They certainly took care of their cat problem, didn't they?

Before flaming me, know that I too have adopted a kitty from that shelter--back when its board valued the lives of all its animals, not just the pups. I have donated money, litter and cat food to them. No need now, since there aren't any cats left!

"when the
shelter opens it will only have doges in it." PLEASE provide references/quotes that show this statement to be true......OTHERWISE
you are creating a misconception and will open up an onslaught of controversy BEYOND what is presently occuring.....REFERENCES
please. If the news channel provided this info, I did not see the coverage on either channel.....can someone post if THIS statement
is accurate from the news channels?

14 Jan 2011 06:56 #163 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

homeagain wrote:

Surveyor wrote: The board should be replaced. I saw the channel 7 coverage and am not only very sad for the kitties that were victimized by this board that apparently cares very little for life, but very angry that when the "shelter" opens it will only have dogs in it. They certainly took care of their cat problem, didn't they?

Before flaming me, know that I too have adopted a kitty from that shelter--back when its board valued the lives of all its animals, not just the pups. I have donated money, litter and cat food to them. No need now, since there aren't any cats left!

"when the
shelter opens it will only have doges in it." PLEASE provide references/quotes that show this statement to be true......OTHERWISE
you are creating a misconception and will open up an onslaught of controversy BEYOND what is presently occuring.....REFERENCES
please. If the news channel provided this info, I did not see the coverage on either channel.....can someone post if THIS statement

The news report did not say anything about the shelter only housing dogs. They did say that the dogs were moved to foster homes. I guess they were not exposed?

14 Jan 2011 07:17 #164 by homeagain

JMC wrote:

homeagain wrote:

"when the

The news report did not say anything about the shelter only hosing dogs. They did say that the dogs were moved to foster homes. I guess they were not exposed?

Just to CLARIFY this issue,I just received an email from Diane,shelter mgr. and Surveyor's statement is INACCURATE.......I would like to express my true amazement that ANYONE would attempt such a deceitful stance and
how this despicable behavior is NOT acceptable. YOU need to be held responsible for your actions Surveyor and that is what I am
doing.(obviously my computer problem has not been solved,sorry for the "brakes" that appear to be an issue.)

14 Jan 2011 07:37 #165 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic sadness

In an interview with 7NEWS, Whitlock said she would not have done anything differently.

Unbelievable arrogance! Apparently she has no interest whatsoever in community input, all she wants from the community is dollars and hours.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

14 Jan 2011 07:40 #166 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

homeagain wrote:

JMC wrote:

homeagain wrote:

"when the

The news report did not say anything about the shelter only hosing dogs. They did say that the dogs were moved to foster homes. I guess they were not exposed?

Just to CLARIFY this issue,I just received an email from Diane,shelter mgr. and Surveyor's statement is INACCURATE.......I would like to express my true amazement that ANYONE would attempt such a deceitful stance and
how this despicable behavior is NOT acceptable. YOU need to be held responsible for your actions Surveyor and that is what I am
doing.(obviously my computer problem has not been solved,sorry for the "brakes" that appear to be an issue.)

Since IMHS is now registered here, I would hope they would publicly address the issues raised by the posters on this site. That may help the community better understand the issues. I understand they are most likely swamped right now but think it is important to engage in an open dialogue with their concerned supporters and members.

14 Jan 2011 08:22 #167 by nothing wrong with me
Replied by nothing wrong with me on topic sadness
That story was crazy,and their stubborn attitude was also.
According to the story I saw on the channel 7 story,they said 'One vet offered help?"
How is it that they knew ahead of time?
But you know how the news is.
I wonder what was edited out.

14 Jan 2011 08:38 #168 by RkyMtnHiIQ
Replied by RkyMtnHiIQ on topic sadness
I have had the unfortuate experience of having to deal with the Shelter Manager. She is a cold-hearted, uncaring, mean-spirited woman who should not be in her job. I am outraged by her decision to euthanize all of these cats, but not surprised - like I said, she is cold-hearted. In my dealings with her, she displayed **extremely poor** judgement, and appeared vindictive and power-hungry.

I am fully versed in caring for pets with ringworm - and it's not a condition that requires DEATH to cure. This is outrageous and I am dumbfounded as to why the BOD has not been removed and Diane fired over this.

There is NO excuse for what has happened - DMVs have stepped up and stated that this was uneccesary. Why aren't more people outraged?

14 Jan 2011 08:43 #169 by CC

14 Jan 2011 08:45 #170 by homeagain

RkyMtnHiIQ wrote: I have had the unfortuate experience of having to deal with the Shelter Manager. She is a cold-hearted, uncaring, mean-spirited woman who should not be in her job. I am outraged by her decision to euthanize all of these cats, but not surprised - like I said, she is cold-hearted. In my dealings with her, she displayed **extremely poor** judgement, and appeared vindictive and power-hungry.

I am fully versed in caring for pets with ringworm - and it's not a condition that requires DEATH to cure. This is outrageous and I am dumbfounded as to why the BOD has not been removed and Diane fired over this.

There is NO excuse for what has happened - DMVs have stepped up and stated that this was uneccesary. Why aren't more people outraged?

The LACK of participation in the BOD meetings (people actually showing up) is DIRECTLY responsible for the issues
that have been presented on this topic/forum/site.......APATHY is to blame and where do YOU (collectively) take the time to reflect
on just how much/little you (collectively) were involved......with this post I am bowing out of the discussion/forum/site. It has become
NON-productive and is futile to continue.....JMO

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds