sadness

14 Jan 2011 13:57 #201 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic sadness

Wily Weasel wrote: yes I am. I going to write up proposal for a more formalized review process and offer to facilitate it. You wanna go?

I'll definitely go with you. I'll see if Miz CatCrapHill wants to go as well. (And we'll have knitting needles in case anyone needs a poke.)

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2011 14:22 #202 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic sadness
The email I received from 'savetheanimals' stated that they want to work with the present board.
I just saw many,many cats up at IMHS.

Lots of people were working very hard to get the shelter ready to open again.

I feel good despite the headache.

14 Jan 2011 14:35 #203 by Cat Crap Hill
Replied by Cat Crap Hill on topic sadness
I don't think I'll go because I'm a little pissed about the innuendo that my vet, Jeff Danielson, was only protesting/interviewed/etc. because he's in competition and needs the money.

I'll pass.

14 Jan 2011 15:07 #204 by CC
Replied by CC on topic sadness
With all due respect WW.....I just don't see how any vet was wrong in any way to speak up publicly on what should have happened.
Sounds like a lot of trying to shift blame somewhere other than where it belongs.
I just don't see any unethical behavior by any vet that spoke out.
How exactly are any of these vets in competition with IMHS?

14 Jan 2011 17:26 #205 by Residenttroll returns
Replied by Residenttroll returns on topic sadness

Becky wrote: With all due respect WW.....I just don't see how any vet was wrong in any way to speak up publicly on what should have happened.
Sounds like a lot of trying to shift blame somewhere other than where it belongs.
I just don't see any unethical behavior by any vet that spoke out.
How exactly are any of these vets in competition with IMHS?

Wait a minute Becky.....you said that the public had a say in the operation because they donate into it. So if the public has a say, they have a responsibility too. If the people at IMHS had not been donating their time and efforts over the past several years, all these cats and dogs could have become wildlife food.

The vets that spoke out should make a phone call to IMHS first - if they were feeling philanthropic. I would bet the IMHS would kindly accept complimentary medicine and professional services.

Still waiting to see whose going to volunteer for the public relations and crisis management volunteer position.

14 Jan 2011 17:52 #206 by CC
Replied by CC on topic sadness
RT.....I agree with you. We are all responsible to a degree but not to the degree a handful here would like to shift.
I don't wish any harm to come IMHS's way. I just want them to be accountable and responsible to the community they depend on for donations.

I can only speculate as to the reasons the shelter chose to keep quiet about this as long as they did. I don't have a lot of hope after reading here and pos and watching the news reports that we will get that truth.

14 Jan 2011 18:52 #207 by wildflower
Replied by wildflower on topic sadness
Wily seems to have already negatively judged those who are trying to help and present accurate information on this senseless IMHS action. Many of them are professionals also and our local veterinarians understand very well the challenges of boarding and shelter facilities. More so than someone who has managed just one hospital.

What are the ethics of lying to foster homes? Holding closed meetings to change policies without community input or knowledge of such changes? Sneaking around to kill 23 cats and who knows how many others? Presenting inflammatory inaccurate information on a condition that is treatable? What is IMHS' hidden agenda?

I would ask you to conduct yourself in an ethical, professional, and objective manner.

14 Jan 2011 19:21 #208 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic sadness
Question - should the crisis management person be someone with vetrinary experience, or just someone who is good at organizing in stressful situations?

15 Jan 2011 12:41 #209 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

Local_Historian wrote: Question - should the crisis management person be someone with vetrinary experience, or just someone who is good at organizing in stressful situations?

I would say some of each.

15 Jan 2011 20:44 #210 by MyMountainTown
Replied by MyMountainTown on topic sadness
IMHS has not yet posted information to 285bound members about their board meeting on Thursday. We were hoping for more information from IMHS, but we found this press release on their website.. We are posting it for them. This is from their website and press release:

The IMHS Board of Directors will meet in open session on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at the Elk Creek Fire Station off Richmond Hill Road. The meeting is open to the public, however, if you wish to be put on the agenda, please provide your name and the topic you wish to discuss in advance. Guest speakers are allowed up to five minutes' presentation time each; a maximum of ten guest speakers will be included on the agenda. All requests to be included on the agenda must be received by IMHS no later than Monday, January 17, 2011 by 5 pm. Please click here to email your name and presentation topic.
Owing to the recent ringworm outbreak in the IMHS shelter, a thorough cleaning was required, which included disposing of many items that need to be replaced.

The sooner we can get our shelter up and running, the sooner we can help so many of the homeless animals out there who need us. Here's how you can help us to help them:

#1 on the list: Money. It may be crude that cash is at the top of our list, but replacing/repairing/upgrading our shelter space to overcome and protect against ringworm and other outbreaks costs money. Cleaning supplies like bleach and “Scrubbing Bubbles” have been used by the gallon. Caulk and double coats of polyurethene were used to seal every crack and raw surface where a fungus could burrow. Our cement floor has layers of paint can never truly be clean, so your donation can support a “firm foundation” of new flooring that will provide a safer and more sanitary environment for our resident pets.
We recently received a wonderful donation of stainless steel cat kennels (Shor-line, top of the line), which will be much easier to clean and maintain compared to our current chipboard & laminate models. We are, however, missing base frames and side panels: your cash donation can help us build the necessary components to provide clean, sleek and sanitary housing for our cats.
Speaking of sanitary, the plastic litter pans we use can be host to lots of bugs. For our new stainless steel kennels, we'd like to introduce stainless steel litter pans... those steam table pans you see in restaurants work great, at a fraction of the price … please give us the money to buy them and we'll purchase the ones that fit!

#2: Food. We had to throw out dry kitten and dry puppy food. We greatly prefer the “all-brown” types, without colors and dyes, because those additives tend to upset our little guys' and gals' tummies. As well, we always need canned cat food, pate-style (not flaked or chipped).

On the subject of feeding: we use stainless steel bowls to feed our adult pets, but the little ones will be missing the ceramic bowls they can't turn over. Flat-bottomed ramekins or souffle-dishes found in the bakeware aisles are great and usually cheaper than pet store options.

#3. Fleece. Although high-heat washing and drying kills the ringworm spores, we took no chances and disposed of all our dense-fiber blankets and towels used for pet bedding. Micro-fiber fleece is a great replacement – it's cozy for the animals and means a lot less wear and tear on our washer and dryer. Raw, by the yard, is fine; our pets aren't picky about color or pattern!
#4 Cat beds. See above. Small washable cat beds are needed.

#5. Daily Cleaning Equipment. We'll take anything that can be sterilized: Metal cat litter scoops; Libman (or similar brand) mops and/or the detachable heads that can be thrown in the washer; brooms, dust brushes and dust pans that can be sterilized (metal, with plastic bristles preferred; straw bristles won't do); micro-fiber cloths; Swiffer-brand dusters and floor cleaner pads (wet and dry). FYI, research has indeed shown that picking up as much dust as possible inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi, and the Swiffer product is specifically recommended.

#6. Toys! We had to throw out cat toys that might have been contaminated. We're looking for a variety of toys which we can change out each day in the cat kennels (it keeps them stimulated): ping pong balls, tiny whiffle balls, wine corks and plastic or paper straws are simple yet entertaining distractions. These disposable items are more cost-effective than the packaged toys that can't be safely moved from one cat to another.

Not to leave them out, dog toys are needed, too. Kongs of all sizes, are great – dogs love 'em and we can clean 'em! We also stuff them with donated store-brand plain peanut butter and dog biscuits to keep them occupied for hours. Other chewing things, likerope toys, rawhides, nylabones, are appreciated to replenish what we had to throw out.

#6: Grooming Tools: METAL combs and brushes for cats and dogs are appreciated, as are “Zoom Groom” brushes. These items can be subjected to bleaching and high-heat cleaning. They help to make our pets not only look good, but feel good!

Monetary donations may be mailed to IMHS, PO Box 1250, Conifer, CO 80433... or you may wish to use PayPal via this site... simply click on the donations button at the top of this page.

You may drop off monetary donations and/or any of the needed supplies listed above at the shelter onTuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays before 2:00 p.m.; Wednesdays before 7:00 p.m.; and Saturdays before 4:00 p.m. We are located at 67318 U.S. Highway 285, near the intersection with Mt. Evans Blvd./Route 126. We are in the back of the Log Building, just west of the Panda Garden Restaurant.

Thank you for supporting Intermountain Humane Society.

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds