sadness

15 Jan 2011 23:08 #211 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic sadness

IMHS has not yet posted information to 285bound members about their board meeting on Thursday. We were hoping for more information from IMHS, but we found this press release on their website.. We are posting it for them. This is from their website and press release:
.... clip

285bound may not be on the list of priorities, but thanks for the info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jan 2011 08:30 #212 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

Hoot Owl wrote:

IMHS has not yet posted information to 285bound members about their board meeting on Thursday. We were hoping for more information from IMHS, but we found this press release on their website.. We are posting it for them. This is from their website and press release:
.... clip

285bound may not be on the list of priorities, but thanks for the info.

We understand that and that's why we posted it for them. Our members and guests should have this information.

16 Jan 2011 08:48 #213 by CC
Replied by CC on topic sadness
I will check with our warehouse guy about some donated flooring.. We have several vinyl pieces that are 6' by some length. (They vary) I will also check to see if we have any tile which is the best floor source.

I also have tons of carpet samples that are approximately 2.5 X 3' that can be thrown away when soiled.

16 Jan 2011 11:46 - 16 Jan 2011 13:24 #214 by Silent Lucidity
Replied by Silent Lucidity on topic sadness
I have read the threads on PC and here in their entirety. I just became aware of this situation yesterday as I don't frequent either site on a regular basis. I will say, I couldn't sleep last night. I decided to post here vs. PC because one never knows when a perfectly innocent post will be deleted over there.

Add me to the list of folks in this community that are disturbed that the cats were euthanized. I have donated bags of food, cash and nice items to the thrift store. I have given when I can and what I can at the time. I don't know anyone that donates to an organization that doesn't agree with their ideals and philosophies. For example, I don't agree with PETA, so I don't donate. I don't agree with the Salvation Army, so I don't donate. Sadly now, I can add IMHS to my list of organizations that I don't agree with. Don't get me wrong, I know they have done wonderful things to save many animals lives; however, I would think euthanasia would be a last resort for the cats. In this situation, it sounds like it was the first resort.

Having had ringworm as a child, I'm glad my parents didn't decide to euthanize me. I know this is an extreme statement, but brings reality to the situation with the cats. I am trying to imagine the enormity of the situation with an animal shelter. I know it would have been a pain in the ass to deal with, but it had been dealt with before.

I think the reason why I can't support IMHS is because these ringworm euthanasias were not the first and this seems to be a recent trend. Someone in this community fostered kittens that were later euthanized by IMHS and now 23 cats were euthanized.

I will hold off on my donation dollars and items until I hear that there has been a change in direction at IMHS that is more in line with my philosophies. Please let me know. I would rather support locally, but I have an envelope on my desk for Best Friends Animal Society that will get my most recent donation. I do feel I can speak my voice with my donation dollars and I can speak my voice with my spending dollars in the retail sector for things that I believe in.

Rest in Peace Kitties~
Silent Lucidity

16 Jan 2011 11:56 #215 by Dave OBrien DVM
Replied by Dave OBrien DVM on topic sadness
My name is David O’Brien. I am a veterinarian who has practiced in Colorado for 34 years and lived in Pine for 21 years. I have provided volunteer work for the Intermountain Humane Society in the past, and would donate services to the shelter if asked. I presently practice at several clinics, one of which is MaxFund, a large animal shelter in Denver. At present I do not own a practice and stand to gain nothing financially from this response.

The nature of ringworm has been covered extensively by several people on this website already, but I would like to make a couple of points. It is everywhere. It can be isolated from every square foot of soil in these mountains, and it is zoonotic, meaning people can catch it. However, with a minimal amount of training, education, and precaution, transmission is rare. I have treated many ringworm cases and never contracted the disease. Ringworm in people is generally easily treated and cured. Treatment of ringworm in animals has always been successful in my experience. In addition, the cost of treatment is not excessive.

In discussing the topic with the staff at the MaxFund, I was told that at one time they had 30 cats with ringworm. These cats were treated daily by one staff member alone, in addition to his other regular duties, for an average of six weeks. This MaxFund employee felt that treating cats for ringworm was easily accomplished, and he has never contracted ringworm. In addition to the MaxFund, I contacted pertinent personnel for the Cat Care Society, the Denver Dumb Friend’s League and the Denver Municipal Shelter. These shelters differ greatly in their euthanasia policies in general, but none of them euthanize cats with ringworm infection as a matter of policy. They treat these animals, cure them, and find them homes.

We have a responsibility to the animals in a shelter. When an animal comes into a shelter, it’s the shelter’s responsibility to do its best to keep that animal healthy and happy until it can be adopted into a new family. Dealing with ringworm infection in cats is part of running an animal shelter. Euthanasia in such cases is irresponsible and wrong.

The Intermountain Humane Society has a unique posistion to provide a better standard of care for this community than most shelters. This community cares, and provides compassionate support, but also needs the opportunity to have adequate input to assure that proper policies are in effect and practiced. As such, this shelter needs to openly and honestly provide that opportunity, and reflect their supporting community's philosophies in the policies they adopt.

Sincerely,

David G. O’Brien, D.V.M

16 Jan 2011 12:18 #216 by JMC
Thanks for your courageous input, well said.

16 Jan 2011 13:06 #217 by CC
Does anyone know who IMHS is here on this site. I have offered to donate flooring twice already and have not heard from anyone. Wanted to send them a pm

16 Jan 2011 13:15 #218 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic sadness
Intermountain Humane Society euthanizes 23 cats after ringworm outbreak

Westword magazine

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/20 ... ociety.php

​Intermountain Humane Society in Pine Junction is embroiled in a controversy sure to stir any animal lover. After an outbreak of ringworm, center personnel decided to euthanize six cats that came down with the ailment, as well as seventeen others, in an effort to halt the epidemic. But as noted in a Channel 7 report, plenty of commenters on message boards like this one feel medical treatment should have been substituted for more drastic measures.

16 Jan 2011 15:03 #219 by JMC

Dave OBrien DVM wrote: My name is David O’Brien. I am a veterinarian who has practiced in Colorado for 34 years and lived in Pine for 21 years. I have provided volunteer work for the Intermountain Humane Society in the past, and would donate services to the shelter if asked. I presently practice at several clinics, one of which is MaxFund, a large animal shelter in Denver. At present I do not own a practice and stand to gain nothing financially from this response.

The nature of ringworm has been covered extensively by several people on this website already, but I would like to make a couple of points. It is everywhere. It can be isolated from every square foot of soil in these mountains, and it is zoonotic, meaning people can catch it. However, with a minimal amount of training, education, and precaution, transmission is rare. I have treated many ringworm cases and never contracted the disease. Ringworm in people is generally easily treated and cured. Treatment of ringworm in animals has always been successful in my experience. In addition, the cost of treatment is not excessive.

In discussing the topic with the staff at the MaxFund, I was told that at one time they had 30 cats with ringworm. These cats were treated daily by one staff member alone, in addition to his other regular duties, for an average of six weeks. This MaxFund employee felt that treating cats for ringworm was easily accomplished, and he has never contracted ringworm. In addition to the MaxFund, I contacted pertinent personnel for the Cat Care Society, the Denver Dumb Friend’s League and the Denver Municipal Shelter. These shelters differ greatly in their euthanasia policies in general, but none of them euthanize cats with ringworm infection as a matter of policy. They treat these animals, cure them, and find them homes.

We have a responsibility to the animals in a shelter. When an animal comes into a shelter, it’s the shelter’s responsibility to do its best to keep that animal healthy and happy until it can be adopted into a new family. Dealing with ringworm infection in cats is part of running an animal shelter. Euthanasia in such cases is irresponsible and wrong.

The Intermountain Humane Society has a unique posistion to provide a better standard of care for this community than most shelters. This community cares, and provides compassionate support, but also needs the opportunity to have adequate input to assure that proper policies are in effect and practiced. As such, this shelter needs to openly and honestly provide that opportunity, and reflect their supporting community's philosophies in the policies they adopt.

Sincerely,

David G. O’Brien, D.V.M

3 local vets now have disputed the decision to kill these cats, should we just accept this, without question?

16 Jan 2011 15:38 #220 by CC
Still waiting on someone to respond to my flooring offer.
Any takers from IMHS?
Could someone please post my offer on Pinecam. I am banned and unable to do so.

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds