sadness

21 Jan 2011 09:39 #251 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic sadness
I noted that too. There was a post on Pinecam wherein a cat owner used Tea Tree Oil on their cat. The cat licked it off and died. It seems that Tea Tree Oil is, according to that poster's experience, toxic to cats. Please do not use it until you have checked with your vet!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 09:56 #252 by CC
Replied by CC on topic sadness

normalwhyner wrote: Did anyone see this posted on Pinecam regarding

• Someone who also rescues cats has found that Tea Tree Oil is a very effective (and inexpensive) treatment for ringworm.

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 04#1209304

Surveyor wrote: I noted that too. There was a post on Pinecam wherein a cat owner used Tea Tree Oil on their cat. The cat licked it off and died. It seems that Tea Tree Oil is, according to that poster's experience, toxic to cats. Please do not use it until you have checked with your vet!

Please be careful with home remedies and your pets. Please check out what you read here or anywhere with a professional before you try it on your furry family member.

21 Jan 2011 10:35 #253 by LahLah
Replied by LahLah on topic sadness
One thing I neglected to say in my long-summary from last night's meeting (I was reminded by a friend who was there). After I spoke about my kittens being euthanized by IMHS for ringworm someone spoke directly after me and continued to encourage people to volunteer as foster families - essentially negating my experience. I must have been too shocked at the time that someone would be so insensitive - and of course... still no apologies from the people that count. Why would anyone want to put in their love, time, money, etc if there is a possibility IMHS would euthanize the animals they've cared for? Or is it just the cats? I still think this would be a whole different issue if we were talking about 23 dogs being euthanized. And of course, the dogs in the shelter were taken out to other homes when the cats were being killed. I suppose they were worth saving...

21 Jan 2011 10:40 #254 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic sadness
I stayed for the regular board meeting that followed the break. During that session one of the vets in the audience brought up the saveintermountainanimals proposal. One of the board members apologized and said it had been given to her 15 minutes before the meeting started and she hadn't realized that's what it was. They'll be reviewing it as part of this month-long assessment period.

Same board member also made it very clear that they don't feel they currently have the time to respond to "any community boards" and that all communication from them will be on their website (and, she said, ONLY their website.) Just an fyi.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

21 Jan 2011 11:31 #255 by Norm
Replied by Norm on topic sadness

LahLah wrote: One thing I neglected to say in my long-summary from last night's meeting (I was reminded by a friend who was there). After I spoke about my kittens being euthanized by IMHS for ringworm someone spoke directly after me and continued to encourage people to volunteer as foster families - essentially negating my experience. I must have been too shocked at the time that someone would be so insensitive - and of course... still no apologies from the people that count. Why would anyone want to put in their love, time, money, etc if there is a possibility IMHS would euthanize the animals they've cared for? Or is it just the cats? I still think this would be a whole different issue if we were talking about 23 dogs being euthanized. And of course, the dogs in the shelter were taken out to other homes when the cats were being killed. I suppose they were worth saving...

With all due respect, I don't think someone encouraging volunteers to foster animals was in any way an attempt to negate your experience. They just wanted to voice their opinion in a public forum in an attempt to help the situation in any way they could.

21 Jan 2011 13:47 #256 by CreatureKeeper
Replied by CreatureKeeper on topic sadness
I'm joining the conversation a little late in the game. One of last night's speakers volunteered a week prior to the meeting the present the proposal and also provide more information gathered from speaking to an attorney and other shelters. The day of the meeting, we were given the indication that parts of the proposal had already been presented to some of the board members and was well received. Two of us met the speaker in person 1 1/2 hours before the meeting and were very happy to hear all the information that was going to be presented. Some time between that moment and the time to speak, the speaker decided instead to introduce a lighter subject citing the fear all of the board members and families were feeling due to the recent attacks on their properties.

A number of us who have worked closely on the project were present and all were thrown off-guard when the proposal was not mentioned. The last person to speak did bring up the subject and directly asked the board about their willingness to discuss those options at which point the mediator informed everyone that the time allotted to that portion of the meeting had run out.

One of the members of the group who worked on the proposal is stopping in the shelter this afternoon to verify that it was indeed received. I personally am not concerned that it was not formally presented at the board meeting and am most interested in the outcome.

The proposal has been endorsed by three licensed veterinarians who stated they felt it is a solid starting point. The group who worked on it understand that additional details and editing may be required and are supportive of necessary changes that will put in place a policy that will ensure euthanasia be used as a last resort. Two of these veterinarians have expressed an interest in working on the advisory committee outlined in the proposal and all three have offered their time and services.

The proposal is lengthy, but available via email to anyone interested in reading.

As for the tone of the meeting, I thought everyone handled themselves in a very respectful manner. This was certainly a relief after learning that someone chose to handle this situation by threateningly damaging a home and an office belonging to those working with the organization. Thanks to everyone who is participating, on either side of this issue, in a more positive way.

21 Jan 2011 14:43 #257 by Buffalo
Replied by Buffalo on topic sadness
I tried to write the following letter on the IMHS website, in the contact us section, but was limited to 1,000 characters, which I exceeded...

Hello IMHS Board,

I attended the meeting last night and after listening to people speak, I would like to give you my two cents.

First, thank you for what you do. I do understand that what you do is difficult, and oftentimes, thank-less.

However, I was somewhat discouraged to hear Diana speak, as MY interpretation of her speech was that she did not want to have any changes put in place, as that would cause delays. I disagree. Change is the only thing that will ever stay the same in the world. Changes must happen, and I do believe that changes must occur to your euthanasia policy.

I was moved by the pleas for the need for volunteers in the community. I am a LONG time community member, 5th generation Coloradoan, and a passionate animal lover, who has adopted from IMHS and have donated items over the years to the shelter and to the thrift store. However, I am dis-heartened to learn that when a volunteer was given a litter of kittens to foster for IMHS, that when they contracted ringworm, they were all euthanized. She was not notified, she was not even given the courtesy of a PHONE CALL after the event, but an impersonal email was sent. She has invested her time, her own money, and most importantly, her love in those kittens. She was never even given so much as an "I'm sorry that happened" by any of the IMHS board members. The man that spoke after her at the meeting was cruel, in my opinion, in saying that she had the wrong response by not volunteering. When in fact, she IS choosing to volunteer for another organization in the community that promises that euthanasia is a last resort. I agree with her. I WANT to increase my actions and volunteer...but for an organization that has the animals best interests at heart, and from what I see of your actions in early January, you need to revise those interests. Please consider a change to your euthanasia policy. Given the speeches by the 3 other attending veterinarians, I believe that changes are in order.

I will support the group that is making efforts for change in a positive way. I echo Creature Keeper when she said: As for the tone of the meeting, I thought everyone handled themselves in a very respectful manner. This was certainly a relief after learning that someone chose to handle this situation by threateningly damaging a home and an office belonging to those working with the organization. Thanks to everyone who is participating, on either side of this issue, in a more positive way.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for considering my post.

Sincerely, a concerned Pine community member, and animal lover

22 Jan 2011 19:02 #258 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

Buffalo wrote: I tried to write the following letter on the IMHS website, in the contact us section, but was limited to 1,000 characters, which I exceeded...

Hello IMHS Board,

I attended the meeting last night and after listening to people speak, I would like to give you my two cents.

First, thank you for what you do. I do understand that what you do is difficult, and oftentimes, thank-less.

However, I was somewhat discouraged to hear Diana speak, as MY interpretation of her speech was that she did not want to have any changes put in place, as that would cause delays. I disagree. Change is the only thing that will ever stay the same in the world. Changes must happen, and I do believe that changes must occur to your euthanasia policy.

I was moved by the pleas for the need for volunteers in the community. I am a LONG time community member, 5th generation Coloradoan, and a passionate animal lover, who has adopted from IMHS and have donated items over the years to the shelter and to the thrift store. However, I am dis-heartened to learn that when a volunteer was given a litter of kittens to foster for IMHS, that when they contracted ringworm, they were all euthanized. She was not notified, she was not even given the courtesy of a PHONE CALL after the event, but an impersonal email was sent. She has invested her time, her own money, and most importantly, her love in those kittens. She was never even given so much as an "I'm sorry that happened" by any of the IMHS board members. The man that spoke after her at the meeting was cruel, in my opinion, in saying that she had the wrong response by not volunteering. When in fact, she IS choosing to volunteer for another organization in the community that promises that euthanasia is a last resort. I agree with her. I WANT to increase my actions and volunteer...but for an organization that has the animals best interests at heart, and from what I see of your actions in early January, you need to revise those interests. Please consider a change to your euthanasia policy. Given the speeches by the 3 other attending veterinarians, I believe that changes are in order.

I will support the group that is making efforts for change in a positive way. I echo Creature Keeper when she said: As for the tone of the meeting, I thought everyone handled themselves in a very respectful manner. This was certainly a relief after learning that someone chose to handle this situation by threateningly damaging a home and an office belonging to those working with the organization. Thanks to everyone who is participating, on either side of this issue, in a more positive way.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for considering my post.

Sincerely, a concerned Pine community member, and animal lover

Nice post Buffalo

23 Jan 2011 15:05 #259 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic sadness

RivendaleFarms wrote: I stayed for the regular board meeting that followed the break. During that session one of the vets in the audience brought up the saveintermountainanimals proposal. One of the board members apologized and said it had been given to her 15 minutes before the meeting started and she hadn't realized that's what it was. They'll be reviewing it as part of this month-long assessment period.

Same board member also made it very clear that they don't feel they currently have the time to respond to "any community boards" and that all communication from them will be on their website (and, she said, ONLY their website.) Just an fyi.

[/b]

Too bad that board member can only find the time to respond and thank the community on only one "community board".

23 Jan 2011 18:00 #260 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic sadness

pacamom wrote:

RivendaleFarms wrote: I stayed for the regular board meeting that followed the break. During that session one of the vets in the audience brought up the saveintermountainanimals proposal. One of the board members apologized and said it had been given to her 15 minutes before the meeting started and she hadn't realized that's what it was. They'll be reviewing it as part of this month-long assessment period.

[/b]

Too bad that board member can only find the time to respond and thank the community on only one "community board".

At least it was posted somewhere, I could not find it on the IMHS site.
Buffalo I hope you will e-mail your comments to .
I doubt they are reading over here.

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds