sadness

28 Jan 2011 18:56 #261 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Replied by Wily Fox aka Angela on topic sadness
lah lah, I have given you a lot of thought over the past week. It was so heart felt when you talked. I could feel the pain in your voice, yet you were there and even took all of these notes for others who were not. I call that courage and strength. I also thought about Carl, the guy who spoke after you, and his reaction to your decision to not work with IMHS and foster any more with them - but you do work with other groups. You know what I think? You have not given up or given in, you have just moved on to assist with groups that you have more confidence and faith in and that is totally within your rights to do and I admire you for continuing on to help our furry friends and for speaking up. It takes courage. keep it up, girl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Mar 2011 13:57 #262 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic sadness
Intermountain Humane Society reopens with upgrades

Barks and meows once again fill the rooms at the Intermountain Humane Society, which has reopened after an outbreak of ringworm in January.

“Out of respect for those animals, we want to make this a better place,” Young said. “Hopefully, we won’t have to face this kind of problem ever again.”

Young said the decision to euthanize the cats was a tough one. Some area residents who were unhappy that the shelter killed the cats attended the IMHS board meetings to express their frustration and concerns. Young said the shelter implemented some of their ideas and suggestions.

“This is an emotionally charged issue, and it can be hard to understand that a shelter is different than a vet’s office or a home,” she said.

Read more.... http://www.hightimbertimes.com/content/ ... al-shelter

05 Mar 2011 14:02 #263 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Replied by Wily Fox aka Angela on topic sadness
“Hopefully, we won’t have to face this kind of problem ever again.” doesn't tell me anything about HOW/WHAT they have changed other than scrubbing the place down and getting new cages. I still have not heard WHAT they WOULD do if (when) this DOES happen again. I remain skeptical until I hear that this is no longer their policy.

05 Mar 2011 22:35 #264 by LahLah
Replied by LahLah on topic sadness
This issue is far from resolved. The Board continues to resist the suggestions made by members of the community. At this time if another cat came down with ringworm their policy is still exactly the same - and they would act in the same manner. It is very important that we continue to push towards a more acceptable policy that focuses on treating cats instead of euthanizing them. I hope we will all continue to attend the Board meetings to show our concern and become Members so that we have a voice.

06 Mar 2011 09:39 #265 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic sadness
Why does the board continue to resist suggestions made by members of the community?

06 Mar 2011 09:57 #266 by LahLah
Replied by LahLah on topic sadness
I couldnt tell you for sure.

20 May 2011 06:40 #267 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic sadness
I attended tonight's Annual Meeting so as to provide a fair and impartial recording of the events that transpired. I will be posting the video sometime later today (if all goes well converting it!). After the incident with the euthanized cats due to ringworm infection last December, a group was formed, Save Intermountain Animals, in order to work with the current board and effect positive policy change. Tonight's meeting, in which empty board seats and board of director members up for renewal must be voted on, became critical in that effort after disturbing information had been learned over the past few months. Information such as the increase in the number of euthanizations that have been performed over the last several years and the actual amount of money that was going toward animal care (according to the annual report, which was presented tonight, IMHS claims 70% of donations go toward animal care, but they include things like staff salary, and other possible overhead costs. Contrary to that figure, the Save Intermountain Animals group believes it possible that only 18 cents of every dollar was going toward animal care).

Dog and Puppy Statistics 2007-2010
File Attachment:

Cat and Kitten Statistics 2007-2010
File Attachment:

Over the last few months, little change has been effected. Proposals were submitted and a trailer was even offered free of charge to the Board of Directors for the purpose of housing animals, either sick or healthy, so that it would be easier to treat sick animals by isolating them in quarantine. The proposals and trailer offer was turned down by the Board. Here's the Board's response letter:
File Attachment:

Tonight, after some contentious debate about the by-laws, 3 Board members were submitted for renewal to go with the 2 empty seats. Five nominations were taken from the floor, and those five individuals were elected to the Board of Directors for 2 year terms. They are:
Dr. David O'Brien, D.V.M.
Mrs. Cappy O'Brien
Wendy Kelsey-Neuman
Steve Kelsey
Lynn Stockton

The new members of the Board have these goals below, and are hoping to implement positive change with the support of the community.
File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 May 2011 07:10 #268 by CinnamonGirl
Great to hear that something was done. Some of these numbers are appalling.

We will get video up of the meeting shortly.

20 May 2011 09:42 #269 by KAJ52
Replied by KAJ52 on topic sadness
Thanks to SIA for their hard work in recent months. This is a great win for the animals!

20 May 2011 13:45 #270 by CinnamonGirl
Okay, I was able to get this on a player but I do not have the PHP experience to fix the header right now, it says Park County and is IMHS . Ignore the right video and the header they are wrong.

IMHS is on the left. I am working on fix but wanted everyone to see this.

http://www.285bound.com/Forums/video22.php

Edited to add- Replaced the video with a much better version.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds