Star Trek Into Darkness, May 15, 2013! New Release Date!

22 Jan 2013 18:03 #11 by Bdog
Yes I did ! My son got it for me at Christmas that year it came out. Loved it! Great intro to how McCoy and Kirk meet! I've read a couple of the books. Ricardo was made for the part of Khan-his rant on the bridge is the stuff of guenius "I smit at thee" HA HA great stuff!! It sure was fun to see Nemoy come back and play Spock one more time. I'm sure this new one will be worth the wait, Abbrams is sure good at what he does!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2013 11:51 #12 by ScienceChic
File Attachment:

JJ Abrams Talks Star Trek Into Darkness
By StarTrek.com Staff
February 01, 2013

Paramount Pictures has just released a new behind-the-scenes Star Trek Into Darkness featurette that mixes footage from the upcoming film with snippets of interviews with producer-director J.J. Abrams and several cast members. “The action of this movie,” Abrams says, “the scale of the movie is light years beyond even the first movie.” Chris Pine notes that “The word I keep coming back to is… relentless.” Also commenting are Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana.

[youtube:26aumpcb]
[/youtube:26aumpcb]

By the way... It's Official: J.J. Abrams To Direct Star Wars VII

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Feb 2013 11:08 #13 by ScienceChic
Big News! They've moved the open date up 2 days to May 15th with the first showing happening at 8pm !!! If you want to get tickets, buy them through the Star Trek Into Darkness mobile app , or at this Fandango link: http://www.fandango.com/startrekintodar ... ieoverview

In case you missed the Super Bowl spot:

[youtube:2e6mrbyy]
[/youtube:2e6mrbyy]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Feb 2013 11:57 #14 by FredHayek
They moved the opening to my birthday. How nice of JJ to do this.

But, anyone else have an issue with them changing the entire past of the original series? The first movie was deeply disturbing when I found the original history destroyed.

And JJ gets to play with Star Wars next...

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Feb 2013 12:01 #15 by ScienceChic
Nope, not at all. It's an alternate timeline, which they've used in the series before. This gives them the ability to tell entirely new stories without being chained to any past baggage - I love it!

06 Feb 2013 09:25 #16 by Bdog
I agree-- there has been a lot of changes in our understanding of science and in the use of technology in the last 40 years! The ability to communicate instantly around the world, and have the worlds combined knowledge at our finger tips. Our whole society is much better educated. Our perceptions -politically, socially, economically, have-dare I say-"come of age".(in most of society) The ideas conveyed by Roddenberry can now be better and more readily understood and appreciated. The concepts, implications, and reactions of both the characters and the stories now being told need to expand and not be tethered by past "baggage". The idea of "The Prime Directive" and it's implications to our future true trekking will guide us -wither we acknowledge it or not- on into our fast approaching future.. Our first contact will be less reactionary more carefully pondered. More scrutinized by more people, more openly observed, and more readily welcomed!!

11 Mar 2013 14:41 #17 by ScienceChic
I'm intrigued about the references to the original series, they'll have to fit it to this timeline, but would be a great way to tie it back to what started it all.

Benedict Cumberbatch's Star Trek villain is something new and terrifying. Plus The Hobbit still isn't done filming!
Alasdair Wilkins
3/11/13

Cumberbatch himself adds: "I did a lot of close combat training. <snip>"

Producer Bryan Burk discusses the use of IMAX and 3D in the film <snip> and ...He also suggests there will be plenty of references to the original series for longtime fans

Original story here

23 Mar 2013 11:56 #18 by ScienceChic
If this gets any better, I won't be able to stand the wait until May! :wink:

[youtube:1i1hdypw]
[/youtube:1i1hdypw]

23 Mar 2013 22:22 #19 by ScienceChic
FYI: MARATHON!!!! :thumbsup: lol

Every 'Star Trek' Episode Is Free on Hulu Until April
Alex Fitzpatrick
10 hours ago

Hey, Star Trek fans: Got an itching to watch Captain Kirk go hand-to-hand with a Gorn? Or see Captain Picard's crew deal with the meddlesome, godlike Q? Or even catch the U.S.S Voyager's battles with Species 8472? Then head over to Hulu, where every single Star Trek episode is free until April.

Why the sci-fi bonanza?

"Today is William Shatner’s birthday, and Hulu is making every episode from every Star Trek series available to watch for free until the end of the month," reads a Hulu blog post from Friday. "Resistance is futile. Almost as futile as controlling a population of tribbles."

02 Apr 2013 23:13 #20 by Jekyll
Awesome thread, I'm looking forward to seeing this Star Trek fer sures! After just skimming the posts, I have to comment on the 'alternate timeline' thoughts/opinions. Personally I figure they've stayed pretty savvy with the original Star Trek (with Captain Kirk and Crew). However, if you start including series like Enterprise and Next Generation, it starts to get murky. Next Generation is hundreds of years after the original (following a timeline) and WAY after Enterprise. Another problem (as with the Star Wars movies) is the fact that back in the day, visual effects and computer animation were extremely primative, so anything they do now to try and keep the story going on top of the original just doesn't fit well. The new stuff looks better even though it's supposed to be BEFORE the missions of the original series. Phew, it's deffinitely a confusion but worth the ride nonetheless. I will be seeing this movie on opening night, just like Evil Dead....*pssst*, which opens this Friday!

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds