Star Trek Into Darkness, May 15, 2013! New Release Date!

20 May 2013 16:43 #41 by homeagain
P.S...... I'm so-o-o bummed that Zach Quinto is gay, I've been crushing on him since he appeared in the FIRST movie....hard to see him
in the second, IF it's not that great..... :faint:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 May 2013 16:55 #42 by RenegadeCJ

homeagain wrote: OK then, I have NOT seen the movie, BUT, how can Kahn be part of the script.....Carlos Montablan is dead and he IS kahn....(forgive
me for my stupidity,BUT I am really wavering about seeing the movie....(DH loved it and is willing to see it AGAIN, with me)... :(: :(:

Go see it. We all enjoyed it...a lot. Of course, unlike SC :biggrin: , I go to movies to be entertained, not critically evaluate the movies. I can't afford to go twice to a movie...but will definitely watch it again on redbox, netflix, or if some sucker donates their copy to goodwill!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

20 May 2013 19:16 #43 by Blazer Bob
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/05/17 ... on-terror/

According to the link this movie is just a badly done piece of left wing propaganda but this is all I really need to know.

:idea:

20 May 2013 20:25 #44 by FredHayek
Sure it is a little lefty, attacking the military industrial complex and out of control military leaders. Then again even the hero Kirk is out of control time after time.

Plot discussion: do you think they were heavy handed in punishment to Kirk for a very minor bending of the prime directive? Spock deserves it more for what he did in the cone.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 May 2013 05:46 #45 by RenegadeCJ

FredHayek wrote: Sure it is a little lefty, attacking the military industrial complex and out of control military leaders. Then again even the hero Kirk is out of control time after time.

Plot discussion: do you think they were heavy handed in punishment to Kirk for a very minor bending of the prime directive? Spock deserves it more for what he did in the cone.

His punishment was probably deserved...like I tell kids today. Own up to your decisions. If you think you are doing something against the "rules" for a great reason, be confident in your decision. Lying about it only makes it look like a bad decision you made, and will cause more punishment.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

21 May 2013 05:59 #46 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: OK then, I have NOT seen the movie, BUT, how can Kahn be part of the script.....Carlos Montablan is dead and he IS kahn....(forgive
me for my stupidity,BUT I am really wavering about seeing the movie....(DH loved it and is willing to see it AGAIN, with me)... :(: :(:

I will probably piss off some Trekkies but I prefer Cumberbatch's Khan. I didn't like the final fate of the Botany Bay crew. SPOILER: I would have exiled them to a unpopulated planet.

21 May 2013 06:17 #47 by homeagain
OK, IF the latest Kahn is THAT good, guess I will have to go......just to see Kahn and Spock (Zac Quinto)....I TRULY thought the first
saga was pretty spectacular and the script encompassed the "birth" of the characters in an entertaining and thoughtful way......but
then I am a SF/Trekkie kinda of person.....

21 May 2013 09:14 #48 by ScienceChic

The answer is...Eric Bana. lol (They use that a few times in that review I posted). During the 1st movie, Abrams established an alternate reality because of Spock and Nero coming back in time and altering events, one in which the same people exist, but have different life experiences. Kahn still exists in this universe, he's just had a similar, but different life.

I agree that Cumberbatch did an awesome job as Kahn, for me it's a tie between him and Montalban. One of my favorite parts of the movie is watching him run full-out, damn does he have beautiful form (Quinto is almost as pretty, but his movements are just not as perfectly in sync)! :droolpuddle: Go see it homeagain, just don't bother with the 3D, and hit the matinee when it's cheaper. Did I post the Australia interviews of Quinto and Pine? He is a very articulate, intelligent individual - almost a little too much so (his vocabulary was quite...ornate and academic).

Renegade, I usually go to movies to be entertained as well, but I just can't let it go when they trample on a classic like this and have to call them on their extreme laziness. Many could argue that this story was a good one to pick in order to deepen Kirk and Spock's friendship, but frankly, it's way too soon for that. The circumstances in the original movie happened after Kirk and Spock had spent decades together and were completely in tune with one another; in this movie, they've barely begun to discover who each other is and argue over not knowing what to even expect of the other's actions, so to have them crying and screaming over each others demise comes off as so totally fake it's ridiculous.

Bob, Star Trek itself is historically considered left-wing propaganda: it's about a future that would make most conservatives heads spin like a top (what? no capitalism? everyone is equal despite having different stations in life? - sounds like communism to me!), :biggrin: but it's a future that is an ideal to dream of, not necessarily one that could exist in reality.

Fred, I think his punishment was exactly what he needed. What has always been the redeeming quality to an otherwise self-absorbed, self-centered, egotistical, arrogant, womanizing scroundel that is Kirk, was his unwavering and deep-rooted loyalty to his crew and absolute love for his ship that he always put first ahead of himself. He hadn't learned that lesson yet in this universe and had to lose his ship in order to realize/internalize how important it was, and become that captain that we knew he was capable of becoming. Nothing less would've caused that transformation, he's too arrogant.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 May 2013 09:19 #49 by FredHayek
Very anti-capitalistic, unlike Iron Man III which was a long commercial for Audi and even soundboard equipment, the only logo in this movie was Budweiser. Even flying through major Earth metro areas, no logos were seen.

That is why I prefer Firefly now. Plenty of logos, Blue Sun, and the enemy is the Federation. :woo hoo: "I aim to misbehave." The heroes are Han Solo types on the run, and harboring fugitives.

21 May 2013 10:17 #50 by ScienceChic
Firefly rocks and I'd misbehave with Nathan Fillion any day! :wink: But unless a miracle happens, there just aren't enough episodes to re-watch, and only one movie. The comics were a nice continuation, are they still coming out? I am so out of the loop on the comics...and I'm not sure I'd want to follow them if they took the story where Joss was going with Inara - I hate when he does that sh**.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds