Star Trek Into Darkness, May 15, 2013! New Release Date!

21 May 2013 10:23 #51 by FredHayek
Too bad Serenity flopped at the box office, but I am still blaming Fox for screwing with the schedule so much. I only found the show after it was cancelled. So I am not a total Fox apoligist!!!!

Back on topic: I do like the hint that for the next movies, the Enterprise will be exploring, but I am a little worried that the fans will want more action, more Klingons and more re-takes on original episodes from the 1960's.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 May 2013 15:47 #52 by Jekyll
Went and saw Star Trek opening weekend and it was AWESOME! I think it was better than the first remake. Spock lost his temper! Rare to see and the action on Kronos was outSTANDING! Definitely buying it on DVD when it finally comes out. Double :like:

27 May 2013 17:55 #53 by FredHayek
I expect Spock to be much more human this time around. He is one of the last of his race.

14 Aug 2013 16:46 #54 by ScienceChic
Into Darkness voted worst Star Trek film by trekkies
Convention rates JJ Abrams' box-office hit poorest in entire canon – behind even Galaxy Quest, which isn't a Star Trek film
Ben Child
Wednesday 14 August 2013

It was praised by the critics and is the most successful film in the entire series at the box office, but this year's Star Trek Into Darkness has fallen foul of the long-running space saga's vocal fanbase, the trekkies.

At this weekend's annual Star Trek convention in Las Vegas, the JJ Abrams sequel was voted the worst Star Trek film in the entire canon by fans. To add insult to injury, it was beaten not only by 1989's much-maligned, William Shatner-directed Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (which almost killed the entire movie franchise) but by sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest, which is not in fact a Star Trek movie at all.

Wholeheartedly agree!

However, I completely disagree with this statement:

The poll results confirm what has long been obvious to Star Trek observers: by rebooting the series in 2009 as an action-oriented, fast-paced, big-budget blockbuster proposition, Abrams and his team have completely alienated the hardcore Star Trek audience that has followed the film series and various TV iterations since its inception.

The first movie he did in 2009 was my 3rd favorite Star Trek movie of all time (behind Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home) and I think the fans for the most part loved it.

It's just this last movie that was god-awful. Never, ever, ever, ever do a remake of a beloved classic and insult the fans intelligence in the process. They lied to us while it was being made saying it wasn't Khan in this one, when it was. Then the movie characters' dialog completely did not fit with what we know about the characters - they would not be that upset over the deaths that occurred because they haven't had time to develop deep, meaningful friendships that engender that kind of emotion. Complete and utter BS is what was on that screen.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Aug 2013 08:13 #55 by FredHayek
Good points SC, but I think this trend of too much action is the future of movies. The big blockbusters demand it. And I guess I am getting old, but it bores me.

This weekend I think I will watch a quiet little movie about a pubcrawl with killer robots.

21 Sep 2013 21:00 #56 by Blazer Bob

05 Nov 2013 13:11 #57 by ScienceChic
Okay, I enjoyed this way more than the actual movie. lol

[youtube:31nrnhd3]
[/youtube:31nrnhd3]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Nov 2013 18:46 #58 by Jekyll
lol :biggrin: :woo hoo: :rofllol THAT...WAS...AWESOME! lol :biggrin: :woo hoo: :rofllol

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds