Update regarding the CommunityBound/My Mountain Town Dispute

02 Jan 2014 09:54 #41 by ScienceChic
Good questions pacamom, thanks.

Top buttons:
If you click on any of the icons at the top, that will take you to the My Mountain Town Facebook page , @MyMountainTown Twitter account , and My Mountain Town Google+ account (I still need to finish building that yet - I could also really use 9 more followers there so I can get my vanity url name!) so that you can follow us on those social media accounts (as a whole, as you put it). Any updates on those accounts, not here on the forums, will show up on your own Facebook page, Twitter account, etc. as if you had Liked us by finding us in Facebook or through a Google search for example.

Side icons:
If you click on a side icon, you will share the link only to the page that you are on. It's just like Sharing on Facebook - when you click it, it opens up a new box with the thumbnail image, title of the thread with link, and a dialog box where you can make a comment if you'd like. It does not automatically Share, you must click Share Link or Tweet. (The examples below I made from the Home Page, that's why they don't have the title of a thread in them.) Once you Share this to your own profile, you will get notifications from Facebook, Twitter, etc if there are comments or Likes made on that FB or Twitter post (if you have notifications turned on), but it won't let you know if there is more activity on the thread here on MMT. For that you have to Subscribe to the Topic, or Subscribe to the Forum. A note about that: every time you receive an email notifying you that there is a new reply to a topic, or a new thread in a forum, if you don't click a link in that email to take you to MMT, then the system will not send you any further email notifications about any forums until you go back to that email and click the link. Or Unsubcribe and re-Subscribe here on the forum.

On Facebook, you can even select with whom you wish to share this in the drop-down menu - Friends, Public, etc., or if you are an admin on any Business Pages, you can select to which Timeline to post (for me, I can choose my personal one, My Mountain Town's page, the 285 Tourism Facebook page, etc - below I know it's my personal page because of the photo at the top right-hand corner)
File Attachment:

On Twitter, you can delete the highlighted text and enter what you'd like, add hashtags to categorize your post (e.g. #cofire, #Jeffco, #music, #kidsactivities), mention people to tag them (e.g. @MyMountainTown, @BrooksPlaceTav, @jeffcosheriffco), etc.

On LinkedIn, again you can choose whether to share it with Connections you have, or Groups to which you belong.

I didn't do an example for Google because I'm not logged in - it brings up a box with a ton of options, including Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.

Now that the holiday is past, I've sent a follow up request to see if we can make the hide option more permanent. As I mentioned earlier, I'll share that as soon as I know. My apologies for the delay.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jan 2014 13:52 #42 by Thepill
Frogger your guess missed by a mile. Clearly you are wasting energy carrying around that 3 lbs above your shoulders.

frogger wrote:

Thepill wrote: Not a lawyer, but I deal with contracts often.

I have not read your contract, but here is 2 cents based upon what you shared.

A license doesn't make you the owner of the the site nor the URL.

Moving a site to a new hosting company is not the same as taking all licensed material and setting it up under a new identity / URL.

If I had licensed the former site to you and you had taken everything (users accounts and content) I would be upset too.

If your agreement didn't explicitly give you the rights to take users and content you will likely be spending more $ of lawyer fees and fines for violating the license agreement.

Again, my 2 cents based upon the details presented int his thread.

Robyn.....honestly...... lol

07 Jan 2014 14:45 - 07 Jan 2014 18:30 #43 by cabinish

MyMountainTown wrote: Dear members and advertisers of 285bound.com and mymountaintown.com

... I was also paying that money so that I could have an exclusive geographic territory and so as to ensure that I would not have to compete with Robin herself, or any of her companies or affiliates.

In reply to your update -

I consider you very capable and hard-working, SC, so I consistently promoted you and 285Bound, thanked you profusely publicly and privately for your helps to my own site, EvergreenBound, and have avoided comment on this dispute to date. All site owners give tremendously to these sites, and even those that have gone by the way side dropped off more from the sheer volume of work involved than just keeping up with changes on the internet.

You do many things admirably, but you haven't mentioned in this update your own expansion and self-promotion in Evergreen, the territory you're fully aware I bought and paid for, and you did not. It seems obvious to me that the name "My Mountain Town" is purposely non-specific to facilitate using the internet to capture areas beyond your own, including competing directly against Communities Bound and affiliates.

“My Mountain Town” is being promoted to this day with slogans tailored to go well outside the territory you feel was stolen from you:
The Mountain Connection as “serving Evergreen”,
The Mountain Neighbor as “where Colorado community’s connect”,
Your Facebook page as " from Morrison to Fairplay, Jefferson County and Park County!"
Your MMT homepage as "how Colorado communities connect",
as well as other venues and means; you’ve had Evergreen advertisers ,and post extensively about Evergreen on FaceBook, Twitter and YouTube (gleaning Evergreen visitors/members) etc. All this while you are engaged in a lawsuit, much less what you would do were that matter behind you, actively competing with sources too lengthy to even list here.

Like you, I also have made sizable investment in (as you state in your own words) ”an exclusive geographic territory and so as to ensure that I would not have to compete with Robin herself, or any of her companies or affiliates.” I also relied on assurances to myself and other affiliates I witnessed that I could work my own territory without undue competition or tortuous interference, yet the person who sold the sites now appears to fully support you in your endeavors, apparently with full knowledge that you are competing in the very territory he sold. It's been a wild ride. No one would pay anything to anybody without the expectation of their own territory, since website only templates are available from many sources for free, and you can get a URL and hosting from GoDaddy.com for $12. Internet may be free source and all that but we bought these sites for a reason, and you mention territory was key. I have always honored your territory.

In the absence of her former partner, Robyn as CB is trying to fulfill those assurances and contractual obligations, and to protect and defend the territories of her existing affiliates, including mine in the Evergreen area. This catch-22 is an easy fix. Simply relieve her of the burden of defending her current affiliates respective territories by agreeing that you and your own associates won't compete with those affiliates. From Fairplay to Morrison with a corridor you've got a territory of over 400 square miles after all. Just a suggestion, and I admit I don't know the details, but don't force her to choose between abandoning her affiliates and coming to agreement with you. Regardless of anything else that has transpired, there may actually be an honorable reason behind what you may interpret as senseless delay.

There is even a portion of thread here somewhere where members volunteer enthusiastically to start new sites, one in Evergreen by the way. Maybe these people don’t realize that our entire personal lives and finances suffer to offer these sites, but you certainly do. I’ve lived in the Evergreen area 23 years and assure you, my allegiance to my community is quite legit and a labor of love, and my investment is out-of-pocket and sizable on all levels.

Surely the remaining issues can be worked out. I just haven't seen evidence of any desire on Robyn's part to retain or otherwise profit from the 285Bound site or URL, which has to have ongoing hosting expenses for her after all. What's the point of "stealing" something that just creates expenses?

In my case, I have always been free to use another website template but the URL stays with CB. My understanding of a website is a place where documents and images are presented and stored (on a server). A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the address where you can locate the website on the internet. Colorado law has strict provisions regarding emailed signatures and changes to contracts, and it applies to all. The tech support I've received from Robyn working fires, creating graphics, posting news, training, etc. is valuable and working for me in my own situation It doesn't imply that I won't upgrade/update or redesign as time progresses.

Either way, it's a shame that sites that were meant for the good of the communities have created any battlefield at all, but anyone intending to ruin anybody or punish with legal expenses is a tragic motivation regardless who does it, with consequences to all concerned.

Lastly, I hope you both will step back and consider your futures and your families who share you too much already with these sites. Life is short, spending it in a courtroom is in no one’s best interest, I'm sure you both can agree on that.

Sources:
http://mtnconnection.com/2013/09/16/my- ... -connected
http://www.evergreenchamber.org/_assets ... duced2.pdf
http://business.evergreenchamber.org/Ho ... 7-2012.htm
https://www.facebook.com/MyMountainTown
http://www.ctmsoftware.com/ctmone_docs_ ... %20Act.pdf
http://www.isaacbowman.com/esign-state-laws-colorado
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_be ... l?#slide=1

07 Jan 2014 14:47 #44 by RenegadeCJ
On firefox you can add "addthis.com" to the adblock filter, and it is gone.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

07 Jan 2014 16:41 #45 by Unpopular Poster

cabinish wrote:

MyMountainTown wrote: Dear members and advertisers of 285bound.com and mymountaintown.com

... I was also paying that money so that I could have an exclusive geographic territory and so as to ensure that I would not have to compete with Robin herself, or any of her companies or affiliates.

I consider you very capable and hard-working, SC, so I consistently promoted you and 285Bound, thanked you profusely publicly and privately for your helps to my own site, EvergreenBound, and have avoided comment on this dispute to date. All site owners give tremendously to these sites, and even those that have gone by the way side dropped off more from the sheer volume of work involved than just keeping up with changes on the internet.

You do many things admirably, but you haven't mentioned in this update your own expansion and self-promotion in Evergreen, the territory you're fully aware I bought and paid for, and you did not. It seems obvious to me that the name "My Mountain Town" is purposely non-specific to facilitate using the internet to capture areas beyond your own, including competing directly against Communities Bound and affiliates.

“My Mountain Town” is being promoted to this day with slogans tailored to go well outside the territory you feel was stolen from you:
Your Facebook page as " from Morrison to Fairplay, Jefferson County and Park County!"
as well as other venues and means; you’ve had Evergreen advertisers ,and post extensively about Evergreen on FaceBook, Twitter and YouTube (gleaning Evergreen visitors/members) etc. All this while you are engaged in a lawsuit, much less what you would do were that matter behind you, actively competing with sources too lengthy to even list here.

Like you, I also have made sizable investment in (as you state in your own words) ”an exclusive geographic territory and so as to ensure that I would not have to compete with Robin herself, or any of her companies or affiliates.” I also relied on assurances to myself and other affiliates I witnessed that I could work my own territory without undue competition or tortuous interference, yet the person who sold the sites now appears to fully support you in your endeavors, apparently with full knowledge that you are competing in the very territory he sold. It's been a wild ride. No one would pay anything to anybody without the expectation of their own territory, since website only templates are available from many sources for free, and you can get a URL and hosting from GoDaddy.com for $12. Internet may be free source and all that but we bought these sites for a reason, and you mention territory was key. I have always honored your territory.

In the absence of her former partner, Robyn as CB is trying to fulfill those assurances and contractual obligations, and to protect and defend the territories of her existing affiliates, including mine in the Evergreen area. This catch-22 is an easy fix. Simply relieve her of the burden of defending her current affiliates respective territories by agreeing that you and your own associates won't compete with those affiliates. From Fairplay to Morrison with a corridor you've got a territory of over 400 square miles after all. Just a suggestion, and I admit I don't know the details, but don't force her to choose between abandoning her affiliates and coming to agreement with you. Regardless of anything else that has transpired, there may actually be an honorable reason behind what you may interpret as senseless delay.

There is even a portion of thread here somewhere where members volunteer enthusiastically to start new sites, one in Evergreen by the way. Maybe these people don’t realize that our entire personal lives and finances suffer to offer these sites, but you certainly do. I’ve lived in the Evergreen area 23 years and assure you, my allegiance to my community is quite legit and a labor of love, and my investment is out-of-pocket and sizable on all levels.

Surely the remaining issues can be worked out. I just haven't seen evidence of any desire on Robyn's part to retain or otherwise profit from the 285Bound site or URL, which has to have ongoing hosting expenses for her after all. What's the point of "stealing" something that just creates expenses?

In my case, I have always been free to use another website template but the URL stays with CB. My understanding of a website is a place where documents and images are presented and stored (on a server). A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the address where you can locate the website on the internet. Colorado law has strict provisions regarding emailed signatures and changes to contracts, and it applies to all. The tech support I've received from Robyn working fires, creating graphics, posting news, training, etc. is valuable and working for me in my own situation It doesn't imply that I won't upgrade/update or redesign as time progresses.

Either way, it's a shame that sites that were meant for the good of the communities have created any battlefield at all, but anyone intending to ruin anybody or punish with legal expenses is a tragic motivation regardless who does it, with consequences to all concerned.

Lastly, I hope you both will step back and consider your futures and your families who share you too much already with these sites. Life is short, spending it in a courtroom is in no one’s best interest, I'm sure you both can agree on that.

Sources:
http://mtnconnection.com/2013/09/16/my- ... ng=related
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_be ... te_and_url

I anxiously await SC's response to this.

You're such a fine person Cabinish-You deserve better

My personal comments on the issue: SC, you made a mistake, we all make mistakes and I think this might be the time to take a step back from yours. Pride is hard to swallow, but believe me, it will go down.

07 Jan 2014 17:25 #46 by homeagain
So, it seems that WELL defined contacts are the problem......interpretation is ALWAYS an issue.

The old adage comes to the forefront......"Oh no, not ANOTHER learning experience"....(I am
sadden that this saying is apparently appropriate.)......I am awaiting a constructive and correct
resolution to this confusion.....take a seat, state your concerns and come to a consensus.....
and ELIMINATE the costly outlay of cash.....JMO

09 Jan 2014 08:54 #47 by Venturer
Still airing your dirty laundry? And you expect people to come to this site? Really?

09 Jan 2014 09:07 #48 by Rick

cabinish wrote:

Sources:
http://mtnconnection.com/2013/09/16/my- ... -connected
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_be ... l?#slide=1

If there really are other people besides CG and SC who are involved or effected by this dispute, I think this goes into an entirely new level I was unaware of. I post on these forums not because I live up there, but because I'd like to move back one day.

I see a lot of business back stabbing in the industry I just left and would hope that things would be different in mountain communities. I hope this all gets worked out in a fair and just way for everybody involved, but it seems like the facts are ever changing so I don't expect this will end nicely.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Jan 2014 10:36 #49 by ScienceChic
A little perspective, Ridegway. My original post was back on Dec 19th, and yes I will make periodic public updates as this is a public forum and what's going on affects everyone. It was a factual statement made about the status of the dispute, which hadn't been done since I'd officially filed the lawsuit in September. Every other post are other people's comments which they are certainly free to make as that's the point of a forum, or my replies concerning technical issues that were brought up.

Rick, there's always more to this story. I will say this: I have always worked to promote EvergreenBound, in my own area and in Evergreen. Cabinish knows this too. I have never had any issue with Cabinish and I've always wished her well and done my best to help her, and I know that she was grateful of my help as I was of hers when she helped promote me - that was what affiliates were supposed to do for one another. I was told it was bothering her that people learned of EGBound from me, and I don't know if that was true or not, but when told that the day before Mother's Day of this year, that's when I finally stopped telling people of EGBound.

We have collaborated on ads - all of the ones in the Mountain Neighbor that she mentioned above, say 285Bound, EvergreenBound, and FlatIronsBound on them - because we wanted to show that we worked together as affiliates and help share the expensive costs of advertising. That Evergreen Chamber Hot Deal she posted above is only one of two I put up, the other that she didn't post is this offering a discount for both sites only if advertising on both: http://business.evergreenchamber.org/Ho ... 08-07-2012
I also made the same offer on the Conifer Chamber website and I explained to her at that time that I put the one exclusive to 285Bound in as well because I was afraid that the Chambers would not be happy with me offering advertising discounts involving a non-chamber member. She also knows that I joined the Evergreen Chamber in order to promote the 285 Corridor and help support my area by letting people in Evergreen know what was happening over here in Conifer and Bailey (I'm Chair of the 285Tourism Committee for the Conifer & Platte Canyon Chambers of Commerce as well), not to "poach" on her members or advertisers or grow my business in her area. The whole goal was always collaboration and mutual support.

I have made offers to my own advertisers for discounts if they advertise with both of us, I have gotten advertisers to sign up with us both, I have put EGBound materials out at my booths and never asked for EGBound to chip in on the booth fees. The only event I've ever sponsored in Evergreen is EAPL's Oktoberpets or Barks & Belts, and I did that in continuation of Jim and Robin's sponsoring that event before I even bought 285Bound. And I requested that EGBound co-sponsor with me - this year she agreed, then declined at the last minute due to unexpected expenses.

The only video that is up on the EvergreenBound YouTube Channel is the Evergreen Fire Recall Debate that I attended, with Cabinish, recorded, then went home and literally pulled an all-nighter processing and uploading. Not to my YouTube account, or even 285Bound, but to hers. That benefited me in no way, and she did say thank you and I am grateful that my efforts were appreciated. And I'd do it again. All of that discussion on that issue, even though there was extensive discussion on Pinecam which covers my area more than Evergreen, I didn't encourage anyone to have it here, even though that would've helped me against my competitor, I sent them there to help her.

As for getting advertisers in Evergreen - that was a tradition started long before she or I owned our sites, nor is there anything in the contract that prohibits that either, by the way. One of the Evergreen advertisers that 285Bound had for a while was one that Cabinish herself even specifically requested we add to the site and helped make happen. If anyone's interested, go do a search for EvergreenBound.com or 285Bound.com on the Wayback Machine Internet Archive and see how many Evergreen advertisers we've actually had (3: if you include EDS Waste which actually served both areas and was based out of Golden. Relax Salon, which has since opened a store in Conifer and discontinued advertising with me but I had encouraged to join EGBound and she did, and The Sanctuary who is also on EGBound) vs how many Conifer & Bailey advertisers have been on EGBound at some point (7: OmShanti Yoga Wear, Taspen's Organics, Clear View Window Tinting, 285 Sports Grill, Carpet Direct, Inglenook Energy, and Diane Glover).
November 10, 2010:

March 7, 2011:

Current:

I'm not doing anything that Robin herself hadn't done as the owner of 285Bound before I, nor that she isn't doing herself now - just check out the request she made Dec 19th (the day we were supposed to be in court together) looking for new webcam hosts ..in Conifer AND Evergreen. And no, she didn't cross-post that on EvergreenBound, that request is on 285Bound ONLY.

Cabinish, we had a great professional relationship, we used to work together very well, bouncing ideas off each other, commiserating at shared difficulties and laughing at absurdities, sending tips, potential leads, things to post, heads-up about problems, etc and I truly miss that. When I watch what Robin is doing with 285Bound - paying to promote it on Facebook, for example, to go from 33 Followers in one day to over 3,000 only two days later just to artificially boost her numbers, yet not her own SmokyHillBound site which looks to me like it's essentially been abandoned - she hasn't even posted for her own advertisers in over a year - and I see her posting Evergreen news on there and the 285 site as well, I wonder when the harm will end. When I did this upgrade, I specifically stated that I would stay in the network and fulfill my obligations, and if she hadn't done what she did, we could still be collaborating. When I see a new advertiser on 285Bound that should've been mine, and I see her boosting those 285Bound social media sites she started after she took control of 285Bound away from me, I wonder at your comment that she isn't doing this to make a profit. I am still paying her every month for my fees, though I'm getting no benefit from it as I've been shut out of the network, just so you know. She is running a Bound site in the same exact territory that I signed to operate in; that is a breach of contract.

Yes, Rick this harm has extended beyond me but not at my hands.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jan 2014 09:12 #50 by Venturer
OMY a factual statement. No freaking bias whatsoever. How deluded are you? And think what it does to your business? It is just thriving isn't it?

And to be fair since I didn't read cabinish very long and boring statement in its entirety and didn't realize it was the other unprofessional business woman, who I am sure has another busy and thriving website, the comment should really be directed to both of you.

Still airing your dirty laundry? And you expect people to come to your websites? Really? You two deserve each other!

ScienceChic wrote: A little perspective, Ridegway. My original post was back on Dec 19th, and yes I will make periodic public updates as this is a public forum and what's going on affects everyone. It was a factual statement made about the status of the dispute, which hadn't been done since I'd officially filed the lawsuit in September. Every other post are other people's comments which they are certainly free to make as that's the point of a forum, or my replies concerning technical issues that were brought up.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds