A REAL Farmer's Market starts JUNE 1ST

24 Aug 2014 12:39 #61 by ScienceChic
Thank you so much for organizing the market this year - it was a great benefit for the community! I hope you will consider doing it again next year, I know it's a lot of work but it is appreciated by many. I'm really happy with the Lavendar Whipped Body Butter I bought from you - it's wonderful for my dry skin!

We did not get a confirmation from Jack if he would be coming this weekend or not. I stopped by after the memorial service around 2pm, hoping to get some cases of tomatoes, but he wasn't there at that time. I don't know if he sold out and had left already, or hadn't made it at all. I'll try to find out more and let you all know.

Thanks to everyone who supported the market as well! It couldn't happen without you going and buying what our local farmers and artisans grew, made, and created.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarefootHomestead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2014 13:37 #62 by BarefootHomestead
I enjoyed running the market. All good things must come to an end. We will be looking for a new, more central location next year. We are also looking at starting a Co-Op to provide people with goods through the winter.

Thank you to all of the vendors and customers that came out to support us.

24 Aug 2014 14:39 #63 by Norm
Jack was at pine jct on Saturday morning - got some nice tomatoes and peaches. He had lots of squash.

24 Aug 2014 19:20 #64 by Blazer Bob

Norm wrote: I hope Jack will still be there - he's a real nice guy and has some good stuff.

He was there at the old park and ride this last Saturday. I did not ask specifically

but it sure sounded like he would continue to be there on Saturdays.

I scored some good stuff.

25 Aug 2014 11:57 #65 by homeagain

BarefootHomestead wrote: I enjoyed running the market. All good things must come to an end. We will be looking for a new, more central location next year. We are also looking at starting a Co-Op to provide people with goods through the winter.

I'M confused, as it seems there is a HUGE discrepancy about the continuation of the market in the SAME
location and apparent management/organizational dispute.....WHAT is the present status of this market
and it's vendors?.....OTHER sites indicate the market will CONTINUE :unsure: :blush:

25 Aug 2014 12:00 #66 by homeagain

ScienceChic wrote: Thank you so much for organizing the market this year - it was a great benefit for the community! I hope you will consider doing it again next year, I know it's a lot of work but it is appreciated by many. I'm really happy with the Lavendar Whipped Body Butter I bought from you - it's wonderful for my dry skin!

We did not get a confirmation from Jack if he would be coming this weekend or not. I stopped by after the memorial service around 2pm, hoping to get some cases of tomatoes, but he wasn't there at that time. I don't know if he sold out and had left already, or hadn't made it at all. I'll try to find out more and let you all know.

Thanks to everyone who supported the market as well! It couldn't happen without you going and buying what our local farmers and artisans grew, made, and created.

SC...what is the UPDATE on the Pine Jct Market :huh:

25 Aug 2014 13:17 #67 by ScienceChic
Barefoot Homestead is done organizing the market for the season because they need to get the farm ready for the winter (believe it or not, it takes a huge amount of time to organize this - I know, because I tried a couple of years ago). I believe she told one (or more?) of the other vendors that if they wished to continue setting up on Sundays, that they were certainly welcome to, but would need to make arrangements with Derrick Thai, and that the liability for the market would then fall to whomever wished to take it on.

She is planning on returning next year, possibly to a new location, and improving the market - she shared some of her ideas with me and I'm happy with her direction.

Barefoot Homestead posted on their Facebook Page an hour ago:

LOCALS!!! Here is the new venture.
We want to thank everyone that came out to the farmer’s market this year. It is now time to switch gears, winterize our cars, and harvest our high elevation gardens in a few weeks. We are currently planning a September Harvest Market. After that we will be working on a delivery co-op. I hope y’all are having a wonderful day!

And that's all I know.

In the meantime, the farmer that the 285 Tourism Committee arranged to come from the western slopes is still road-tripping every weekend to us, still not sure when he plans to end those visits, but we'll keep you posted. Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 Aug 2014 13:38 #68 by homeagain
THANKS for the update/additional info....hope NEXT year is a "go" for a similar location (other than
Conifer/Evergreen)

26 Aug 2014 08:39 #69 by BarefootHomestead

homeagain wrote:

BarefootHomestead wrote: I enjoyed running the market. All good things must come to an end. We will be looking for a new, more central location next year. We are also looking at starting a Co-Op to provide people with goods through the winter.

I'M confused, as it seems there is a HUGE discrepancy about the continuation of the market in the SAME
location and apparent management/organizational dispute.....WHAT is the present status of this market
and it's vendors?.....OTHER sites indicate the market will CONTINUE :unsure: :blush:

Barefoot Homestead ran the market after Pine Mtn Homestead bailed mid-season due to personal issues. We, and a few others, are NO longer affiliated with a market up there. I told vendors that the small farmers needed to get farms prepared for winter, tend crops, and come back in a few weeks for a harvest market. The jam vendors were very angry and did not like this so they spoke with the venue about setting up on their own deal. As well as taking to that OTHER site to talk trash about me and the fact that I kept the market going. I was told by a WAIT STAFF that I am not welcome there, NOT BY THE OWNER. We informed the owner that if there was no market manager on-site, they are responsible for liability reasons. They looked at us like OMG WHAT? I explained that there were vendor contracts in place and again got the same look. I told them I did not care at all if they continued to set up, it just was not under our liability if we as a business are not there. It has turned into a campaign to make me look bad, I still wish them all well in whatever they do.

26 Aug 2014 08:47 #70 by BarefootHomestead

homeagain wrote: THANKS for the update/additional info....hope NEXT year is a "go" for a similar location (other than
Conifer/Evergreen)

Due to the “end of market drama,” we do not plan on using the same location next year. It sounds as though they are planning to continue there with mostly non-farm type items and jam.

The small farmers that continued after the original manager bailed, live in Conifer and as far down as Indian Hills. We are going to be talking to the community leaders about setting up a market in Conifer. I think most of us just want to stick closer to home and far away from the drama.

I hope that Jack will join us, however he told me he was making way more sales on Saturdays set up by himself. No doubt, he had very nice looking produce. I wanted some corn when he came to our market and he had sold out before I had time to leave my produce booth. I would love for Jack to be part of the season next year.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds