France begins ban on full-face veil

11 Apr 2011 07:14 #1 by CinnamonGirl
France begins ban on full-face veil was created by CinnamonGirl
Yeah, this gets it started again but I thought it was an important story.

http://www.vancouversun.com/France+begi ... story.html

http://connexionfrance.com/Woman-arrest ... ticle.html

PARIS - France's ban on full face veils, a first in Europe, went into force on Monday, making anyone wearing the Muslim niqab or burqa in public liable to a fine of 150 euros ($216) or lessons in French citizenship.

The centre-right government, which pushed the law through parliament in October, rolled out a public relations campaign with posters, pamphlets and an official web site to explain the ban and how it will be enforced.

http://www.vancouversun.com/4594250.bin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2011 07:16 #2 by outdoor338
Do you think France will enforce it, I sure don't!

11 Apr 2011 07:34 #3 by Nmysys
I do and I hope so.

11 Apr 2011 07:38 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic France begins ban on full-face veil
Why? What is the problem with wearing a veil? Are they saying it is a security issue or something?

11 Apr 2011 07:42 #5 by Rick

CinnamonGirl wrote: Why? What is the problem with wearing a veil? Are they saying it is a security issue or something?

I can't think of any other reason other than security. That would be the perfect outfit for armed robbery, you don't have to worry about being identified by securtiy cameras.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Apr 2011 07:51 #6 by CinnamonGirl
But is there a law against wearing a ski mask? Does not make sense to me.

11 Apr 2011 07:54 #7 by Rick

CinnamonGirl wrote: But is there a law against wearing a ski mask? Does not make sense to me.

If you walk into a bank wearing a ski mask, how long do you think it would take for the security guard to have you remove it? I also don't think you would even make it to the metal detector at an airport before you were stopped.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Apr 2011 07:58 #8 by CinnamonGirl
I guess my question is-- Is there some problem with people in veils robbing banks or something? That might be a reason to outlaw it. But, just because it MIGHT be a problem sounds suspect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_debate_over_veils

11 Apr 2011 08:00 #9 by CinnamonGirl
I just want to know why men can still wear speedos in France. LOL. Now that would be a worthwhile law.

11 Apr 2011 08:16 #10 by Nobody that matters
I agree. Full face veils are appropriate in some cases. I'd rather see a law setting limits on lycra and spandex past a certain BMI.

Although, I would anticipate that France will only enforce their law when it really is a matter of security. I doubt they'll stop someone onthe street, but I bet there will be a case of enforcement when someone in a veil attempts to gain entry to a government building.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds