France begins ban on full-face veil

11 Apr 2011 08:31 #11 by FredHayek
I am normally all about religious freedom but and still torn on this new law. And while I haven't read any stories about burqa clad bank robbers in France, there have been cases of women bombers in Russia hiding behind the veil.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2011 09:15 #12 by LadyJazzer
I think that's a lot more of it than "bank robbers." If some law enforcement agency gets a tip that a known female terrorist is planning to strap a bunch of explosives to her body and blow herself up in the middle of a crowded public area, how do you keep an eye out for someone when everyone is wearing a veil? I have no problem with women being allowed to wear it in their homes, at their places of worship and meetings, etc... But it IS a security hazard in today's world with people blowing themselves, and innocent civilians, up all the time.

11 Apr 2011 09:30 #13 by Mayhem
Full face veils should have been mandatory at that skank walk in Toronto. :lol:

11 Apr 2011 09:33 #14 by ScienceChic
And mittens should be required for you at a keyboard! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Apr 2011 10:02 #15 by Mayhem
I switched to VRS years ago.

File Attachment:

11 Apr 2011 10:10 #16 by ScienceChic
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... c=fb&cc=fp
As French Ban On Veils Goes Into Effect, Some Women Defy The Law
by Mark Memmott
April 11, 2011

"France's new ban on Islamic face veils was met with a burst of defiance Monday," The Associated Press reports from Paris, "as several women appeared veiled in front of Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral and two were detained for taking part in an unauthorized protest."

An estimated 2,000 or so of France's 5 million Muslims would be affected. As Eleanor reported, women who do wish to wear such veils say the law infringes on their personal freedoms.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Apr 2011 11:06 #17 by Nmysys
SC:

Do you have a driver's license? Is your picture on it?

Now imagine a Muslim lady who is wearing a veil for that picture. If a policeman were to look at the picture, for any reason, would he able to verify that it is indeed that woman?

Can you see reasons why covering up one's face in public could then be a problem is society? How about voting? How about cashing a check?? Enough questions?

11 Apr 2011 11:09 #18 by Kate
I can see both sides of this issue. The need to be able to identify someone is critical, but at what point does it become an infringement on personal and religious liberty?

11 Apr 2011 11:12 #19 by Nobody that matters
Why can't they just require images of the face underneath be silk screened onto the veil covering the face?

Win/win.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

11 Apr 2011 11:34 #20 by Kate

Nobody that matters wrote: Why can't they just require images of the face underneath be silk screened onto the veil covering the face?

Win/win.

That made me LOL!

However, how would you verify it's an accurate image? If it were me, I'd want a younger, sexier picture of my face.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds