Penn State Pedophilia Scandal

10 Nov 2011 08:08 #41 by homeagain

Lady Jazzer GOP Twin wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: If he, Paterno, did not witness the crime, but heard credible hearsay about it, he did the right thing by passing it up the ladder. SS109 is right on about turning the blind eye to the situation to protect the University over the well being of the young victim. It is a horrible crime and statement regarding our diminished morals and ethics.

He should have reported it right to the police.

BINGO,he took the path of LEAST resistance.....from my POV ,go thru channels,request that the college do a complete investigation and
IF wrongdoing was found......REPORT IT TO THE POLICE. If he had followed thru,(I believe he opted for the easy way out) he would have made CERTAIN the police were notified.JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2011 08:18 #42 by Rockdoc

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

archer wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Now if this were our government it would be all OK just by saying I never touched that boy. Double standard. How many of Clinton's associates were dismissed or made a scape goat because they might have had some knowledge about what sucked in government?

Are you really equating pedophilia with consential sex between two adults? Or just the coverup? What Clinton did may have been immoral but it was not illegal nor did it require a call to police by anyone who knew about it

Are we not talking about a moral issue here with Paterno? Paterno was not the one doing this, yet he is being beaten to hell. Legality is not the issue. Morality is the issue.

No... we are not. We are talking about a legal issue here... the law. Not politics, not morality... but the law... period. Paterno was required by law to report what he knew to the police and he didn't do that. No gray areas, no partisan bullsh*t here... just facts. Paterno deserves to go down and I hope they get around to busting that coaching assistant too... the one that actually witnessed the rape and only reported it to his superior.

For you to even suggest that Paterno deserves ANY consideration here is sick on your part.

No problem it being sick o my part. Let me see you go to the police on hearsay evidence and see how far you get. If hear say were reliable you and a whole lot of others would be arrested. It's utter BS. He did not witness the crime, so it is NOT a legal issue even if you wish to make it so. Just for the sake of argument, let say someone told me or another person that you did something illegal. So what do I do? Run to the police and report you? How stupid would that be? If that were a valid reason, then a whole lot of people would be in trouble because their enemies would accuse them of one thing or another on the basis of hear say evidence. Get real.

10 Nov 2011 08:22 #43 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote: This, like the Church sex scandals, are a perfect example of people trying to hide crimes to protect organizations' public image.

And I am one of those who think Joe Patterno was willing to turn a blind eye to keep winning. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable working with a pedophile.

I don't think Paterno was required by law to report the crime. He kicked it upstairs. But I think he did a moral wrong by not reporting it to the police.

you are willing because you want to believe it is true? But there is NO evidence to that affect at this point. So we crucify people because we believe? So much for justice and being innocent until proven guilty. Now people have to pay the price before being convicted of anything. No wonder this country is in the mess the have. All principles have gone down the drain.

10 Nov 2011 08:35 #44 by homeagain
SORRY, in retrospective,he ADMITTED he did not do enough(I saw the interview),what that tells me is this........he understood,on a
visceral level that something was wrong and he made a conscious choice to protect the school rather than the victim.....witness SIMILAR actions from the Catholic church,the pope,the Vatican.....SAME m.o......if it quack like a duck, walks like a duck and poops
like a duck THEN...........JMO

10 Nov 2011 09:01 #45 by Reverend Revelant

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

SS109 wrote: This, like the Church sex scandals, are a perfect example of people trying to hide crimes to protect organizations' public image.

And I am one of those who think Joe Patterno was willing to turn a blind eye to keep winning. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable working with a pedophile.

I don't think Paterno was required by law to report the crime. He kicked it upstairs. But I think he did a moral wrong by not reporting it to the police.

you are willing because you want to believe it is true? But there is NO evidence to that affect at this point. So we crucify people because we believe? So much for justice and being innocent until proven guilty. Now people have to pay the price before being convicted of anything. No wonder this country is in the mess the have. All principles have gone down the drain.

Sorry... I'll let Paterno speak for himself... at least HE understands what he did was wrong... evidently you are still confused. I hope to hell you don't work with kids, around kids or are in any capacity responsible for kids because YOU HAVE PROVEN, with your attitude, that a child would be in danger if you had heard about something of this nature.

"This is a tragedy," Paterno said in the statement announcing a retirement that never stood a chance. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/story/_ ... te-scandal

You're disgusting.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

10 Nov 2011 09:22 #46 by Rockdoc

You're disgusting.

Not that I give a royal hoot about what you think. That feeling is mutual. Judge, jurry and hangman all in one.

10 Nov 2011 09:32 #47 by Rockdoc

homeagain wrote: SORRY, in retrospective,he ADMITTED he did not do enough(I saw the interview),what that tells me is this........he understood,on a
visceral level that something was wrong and he made a conscious choice to protect the school rather than the victim.....witness SIMILAR actions from the Catholic church,the pope,the Vatican.....SAME m.o......if it quack like a duck, walks like a duck and poops
like a duck THEN...........JMO

to me that is not the point. My point is that many here under the guise of protecting children, condemn without a shred of evidence. You all now it, but chose to condemn someone because of what you read someone reporting, or as you state above you see similarities and infer from what Joe said that he did know more. It is still inference.. You may well be right. And if that is found to be the case, then let justice be served. But what if it is not the case? That is what I keep in mind.

I just heard the LJ was there the day it happened, hear about it and didn't do anything about it. I think it is time for her to get turned in on hear say. Now that is just stupid. Just because I want justice to prevail on the basis of sound evidence, dow not mean I condone such behavior.

10 Nov 2011 09:35 #48 by pineinthegrass
This Joe Paterno interview should shed a lot of light about what actually happened...

[youtube:sio2hlmc]
[/youtube:sio2hlmc]

10 Nov 2011 09:47 #49 by ComputerBreath
What would I have done or do in a similar situation?

Well, I am unsure exactly of what Penn State's chain of command structure is/was. I would for sure have taken it to my superior(s) and if they said they would take care of it, well then I'd believe them and probably stay on the fringes of the situation. If I saw that the nothing had changed, I'd probably go to my superior(s) and ask what was going on. I would also probably ask the original person who reported it to go with me to the legal authorities and report it.

If I heard or saw another blatant violation, I'd absolutely report it to the legal authorities.

But that is me... I do believe that Penn State is trying to mop up a huge mess and every and anyone involved are being swept out.

10 Nov 2011 10:14 #50 by Rockdoc

ComputerBreath wrote: What would I have done or do in a similar situation?

Well, I am unsure exactly of what Penn State's chain of command structure is/was. I would for sure have taken it to my superior(s) and if they said they would take care of it, well then I'd believe them and probably stay on the fringes of the situation. If I saw that the nothing had changed, I'd probably go to my superior(s) and ask what was going on. I would also probably ask the original person who reported it to go with me to the legal authorities and report it.

If I heard or saw another blatant violation, I'd absolutely report it to the legal authorities.

But that is me... I do believe that Penn State is trying to mop up a huge mess and every and anyone involved are being swept out.

Yes, indeed. regardless of what their precise role was it is a house cleaning. As you noted, you handle things one way another handles things another way. There are so many variables involved. It is one thing to look back and state that you wished you'd done more and another when it is happening. I suspect, Joe did not want to believe sodomy was part of his friend's life style, but I do not know that. What I would or would not have done is not the basis for conviction or for that matter dismissal of the sad situation. How many times have you heard, I could'a, shouda, and woulda?

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds