Penn State Pedophilia Scandal

10 Nov 2011 19:45 #61 by Rockdoc

homeagain wrote: RockDoc....it's called DENIAL......let's just put the name to it,here and now...JMO (and that m.o. is part of the overall problem this
society has.)

I call it BS. I have no vested interest, no allegiance to Paterno, but I do have a vested interest in justice done properly. If Paterno were legally guilty as you all seem to wish to insinuate, would not the police have arrested him? NO. Fact, he was not arrested. Conclusion, all the hoopala on here deals with morality and speculation. It is a matter of honesty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2011 19:47 #62 by Rockdoc

HEARTLESS wrote: I don't know how close Paterno and Sandusky were as friends and maybe explains (in his mind) his lack of follow through. Now that it is hitting the fan full on, he knows the consequence of his silence.

That makes sense. I also expect that is what troubles him most now.

10 Nov 2011 19:55 #63 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

SS109 wrote: This, like the Church sex scandals, are a perfect example of people trying to hide crimes to protect organizations' public image.

And I am one of those who think Joe Patterno was willing to turn a blind eye to keep winning. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable working with a pedophile.

I don't think Paterno was required by law to report the crime. He kicked it upstairs. But I think he did a moral wrong by not reporting it to the police.

you are willing because you want to believe it is true? But there is NO evidence to that affect at this point. So we crucify people because we believe? So much for justice and being innocent until proven guilty. Now people have to pay the price before being convicted of anything. No wonder this country is in the mess the have. All principles have gone down the drain.

Great point. Too often this society ruins a person's life before the evidence is actually ruled on. One of the reasons I was slow to judge on the Cain issue.
If you are going to tar a man with pedophilia charges that he will carry for a lifetime, you better have very convincing evidence.

Another point I would like to consider. Some people posting here think Americans are less moral and pedophilia is more common. Personally I think it is about the same. What do you believe? I just think it used to be covered up more.

Thank you for hearing what I am trying to say and opening the door for sane discussion. Hold of on the tar. If needed you can have at it subsequently.

Once again I disagree with the general view that people in America are less moral. My impression is they are moral prudes. For example, the perspective on nudity, so common on beaches in Europe, a statement and acceptance that the human body is what it is and it's exposure is natural. Not in the US. There is a moral outcry as well as amusement by some when it comes to a streaker.
As for pedophilia, I'm not in touch with it (pun not intended). I've no idea of how widespread the issue is, but from what people consistently describe.. namely a shock that their neighbor was involved is something like this.. I'd guess it was fairly wide spread.

11 Nov 2011 10:13 #64 by Wily Fox aka Angela
a 10 year old boy was being raped in the shower and no one did a god damn thing to stop it RIGHT THEN WHEN IT WAS HAPPENING. It was reported the next day and it stayed right there, no police were called, no action taken. this was in the late 90's! this boy raping continued until now and who knows how long before this. the school ONLY did something because the story was now public knowledge.
All their heads should roll

13 Nov 2011 09:58 #65 by 2wlady
Found out that five states, including PA, have a law on the books that states that if pedophilia is occurring at a university or college and witnessed, the witness must go to the school officials, who will go to the police.

So, they followed the law. They weren't ethical, but they followed the letter of the law. Justice for all!

13 Nov 2011 10:24 #66 by archer
The original witness did the right thing, and probably assumed that school officials would also do the right thing. From Paterno on up they failed, and although I am sorry to see a great coach brought down, I have no sympathy for him or any of the officials who treated this more as a threat to the university than a threat to young children.

13 Nov 2011 10:28 #67 by Soulshiner
One wonders how RockDoc would feel if his child was raped by someone that was caught raping a child before that and wasn't turned in and arrested...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

13 Nov 2011 11:13 #68 by Wily Fox aka Angela

archer wrote: The original witness did the right thing, and probably assumed that school officials would also do the right thing. From Paterno on up they failed, and although I am sorry to see a great coach brought down, I have no sympathy for him or any of the officials who treated this more as a threat to the university than a threat to young children.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! The guy saw a man raping a 10 year old boy in the shower and he did NOTHING TO STOP IT and that is "the right thing" ? That guy is on PAID leave and he should have been the first one fired.

13 Nov 2011 11:16 #69 by Martin Ent Inc
At this moment everyone is either on a witch hunt or believes nothing inappropriate took place.
Maybe after the investigation then the facts will be found out.

13 Nov 2011 11:52 #70 by Soulshiner

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:

archer wrote: The original witness did the right thing, and probably assumed that school officials would also do the right thing. From Paterno on up they failed, and although I am sorry to see a great coach brought down, I have no sympathy for him or any of the officials who treated this more as a threat to the university than a threat to young children.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! The guy saw a man raping a 10 year old boy in the shower and he did NOTHING TO STOP IT and that is "the right thing" ? That guy is on PAID leave and he should have been the first one fired.

I agree. The witness should have stepped in and protected the child and called the cops right there and then. Him and everyone else up the chain that this was reported to failed totally when each one of them didn't call the cops as soon as it was reported.

This was WITNESSED, not insinuated. When Paterno was told this, the honorable and right thing would have been to call the cops right there and then. He became guilty as soon as he knew that no one else had called the cops and then didn't himself. He lost all of his honor when he didn't make that call and only told the perp that he would not become the next head coach and allowed him to retire and be carried off the field after his last game. Paterno took the decades of good that he had done and trashed it with that one act. Good riddance.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds