Penn State Pedophilia Scandal

10 Nov 2011 10:19 #51 by homeagain
RockDoc....it's called DENIAL......let's just put the name to it,here and now...JMO (and that m.o. is part of the overall problem this
society has.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2011 10:27 #52 by HEARTLESS
I don't know how close Paterno and Sandusky were as friends and maybe explains (in his mind) his lack of follow through. Now that it is hitting the fan full on, he knows the consequence of his silence.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

10 Nov 2011 10:33 #53 by FredHayek

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

SS109 wrote: This, like the Church sex scandals, are a perfect example of people trying to hide crimes to protect organizations' public image.

And I am one of those who think Joe Patterno was willing to turn a blind eye to keep winning. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable working with a pedophile.

I don't think Paterno was required by law to report the crime. He kicked it upstairs. But I think he did a moral wrong by not reporting it to the police.

you are willing because you want to believe it is true? But there is NO evidence to that affect at this point. So we crucify people because we believe? So much for justice and being innocent until proven guilty. Now people have to pay the price before being convicted of anything. No wonder this country is in the mess the have. All principles have gone down the drain.

Great point. Too often this society ruins a person's life before the evidence is actually ruled on. One of the reasons I was slow to judge on the Cain issue.
If you are going to tar a man with pedophilia charges that he will carry for a lifetime, you better have very convincing evidence.

Another point I would like to consider. Some people posting here think Americans are less moral and pedophilia is more common. Personally I think it is about the same. What do you believe? I just think it used to be covered up more.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Nov 2011 11:57 #54 by homeagain

SS109 wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

SS109 wrote: This, like the Church sex scandals, are a perfect example of people trying to hide crimes to protect organizations' public image.

And I am one of those who think Joe Patterno was willing to turn a blind eye to keep winning. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable working with a pedophile.

I don't think Paterno was required by law to report the crime. He kicked it upstairs. But I think he did a moral wrong by not reporting it to the police.

you are willing because you want to believe it is true? But there is NO evidence to that affect at this point. So we crucify people because we believe? So much for justice and being innocent until proven guilty. Now people have to pay the price before being convicted of anything. No wonder this country is in the mess the have. All principles have gone down the drain.

Great point. Too often this society ruins a person's life before the evidence is actually ruled on. One of the reasons I was slow to judge on the Cain issue.
If you are going to tar a man with pedophilia charges that he will carry for a lifetime, you better have very convincing evidence.

Another point I would like to consider. Some people posting here think Americans are less moral and pedophilia is more common. Personally I think it is about the same. What do you believe? I just think it used to be covered up more.

I believe that the m.o. has been around for a VERY long time,I believe that society is JUST NOW rising up and exposing the deviant
behavior........DENIAL is a convenient mask to hide behind. Cain is in denial,our government officials are in denial about the ultimate
solution that is REQUIRED to put our nation back on the right track,the Catholic church WAS in denial about their priests violating boys,and PENN STATE,THE OFFICIALS INVOLVED AND THIS COACH were in denial.....UNTIL the proverbial excrement hit the fan......
NOW the truth is coming out and peoples lives are being destroyed,much like the victims lives have been hell.....JMO

10 Nov 2011 12:00 #55 by Wayne Harrison
There are worse revelations coming out today regarding this...

10 Nov 2011 12:48 #56 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Penn State Pedophilia Scandal
First of all, Mike McQueary witnessed the criminal act called his dad first!! Then his dad said to get out of there...both of these "men" have serious problems imo. Then Mike tells Paterno? I would have had a hard time not beating that molesting MFr to a bloody pulp and then call the cops to clean up the mess. McQueary should be banned from the school and sued by the parents. If Paterno was told and understood there was molestation going on and only told the higher ups, he should have alos gone to the police if the president did not. Paterno's morality is seriously lacking and deserved to be booted and legacy destroyed.

The only good thing I see is that MAYBE this story will result in more people being vigilant when it comes to witnesssing sick crimes like this.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Nov 2011 15:10 #57 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Penn State Pedophilia Scandal

Irenic_Bill wrote: First of all, Mike McQueary witnessed the criminal act called his dad first!! Then his dad said to get out of there...both of these "men" have serious problems imo. Then Mike tells Paterno? I would have had a hard time not beating that molesting MFr to a bloody pulp and then call the cops to clean up the mess. McQueary should be banned from the school and sued by the parents. If Paterno was told and understood there was molestation going on and only told the higher ups, he should have alos gone to the police if the president did not. Paterno's morality is seriously lacking and deserved to be booted and legacy destroyed.

The only good thing I see is that MAYBE this story will result in more people being vigilant when it comes to witnesssing sick crimes like this.

AGREE 100%!
why can't you be Just Bill? It would be easier for the rest of us to follow.

10 Nov 2011 15:47 #58 by ComputerBreath

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Yes, indeed. regardless of what their precise role was it is a house cleaning. As you noted, you handle things one way another handles things another way. There are so many variables involved. It is one thing to look back and state that you wished you'd done more and another when it is happening. I suspect, Joe did not want to believe sodomy was part of his friend's life style, but I do not know that. What I would or would not have done is not the basis for conviction or for that matter dismissal of the sad situation. How many times have you heard, I could'a, shouda, and woulda?

I agree with you. In my experience, most people do not want to believe someone they have trusted in the past and/or currently trust could do something this vile and repugnant. It is easier (not better) to turn the other way and possibly pretend nothing has happened.

10 Nov 2011 16:22 #59 by 2wlady
Oh, yeah, let him deny seeing that guy with his penis up that kid's rectum.

First thought: What is he doing?
Second thought: Hmmm, should I stop it? But I want to make it big in football. I'll call dad first to find out what to do.
Third thought: Yeah, Paterno will handle it and I'll get that cushy job on the team. Thanks, Dad.

These guys don't have the morals of a pile of hog crap.

Edited to add: For a perspective from a former CU female athlete, go to this link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... alues.html

10 Nov 2011 18:37 #60 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Penn State Pedophilia Scandal

jmc wrote: why can't you be Just Bill? It would be easier for the rest of us to follow.

Well I started out as Critical because I thought I was going to die....then I didn't
Then I became Civil, but that did no good
So I became Cynical, because I gave up hope of being civil
Now I just want peace...this is my last name before I leave
sorry for the confusion :)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds