Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness

02 Jan 2012 10:55 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness was created by CinnamonGirl
http://creatingmotherhood.com/2011/11/0 ... etiquette/

This is now officially the first month in two years that my family has not been depending on food stamps to feed ourselves. The moment that I realized that I no longer qualified for these benefits was incredibly triumphant for me. Within the same moment of celebrating I also felt so incredibly thankful. I have no idea how my family would have existed without this kind of supplemental assistance to purchase food. Currently over 45 million families use food stamps – that is roughly 15% of the population of the United States.

Chances are you know someone beyond me that was on (or is currently on) food stamps.

With that in mind I wanted to put together a small list of lessons learned while I was on food stamps:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jan 2012 11:18 #2 by Reverend Revelant
Apparently she has had enough money to host a website for the last 7 years... and maintain internet access... while on food stamps...

I'm Dresden. I began writing under the alias 'Calliope' at Creating Motherhood in 2005. This site began as a place to chronicle my journey to motherhood as a single woman.

(from her web site linked above)

... isn't that special!

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

02 Jan 2012 11:33 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness
I knew you would be on here saying something like that. In the spirit of your own posts in the past..... Did you read the whole article about judgement?

02 Jan 2012 12:11 #4 by ShilohLady

CinnamonGirl wrote: creatingmotherhood.com/2011/11/09/food-stamp-etiquette/

This is now officially the first month in two years that my family has not been depending on food stamps to feed ourselves.

Note that the website was started in 2005 but apparently didn't start on Food Stamps until 2009 (first month in 2 years)...

You can host a website for minimal cost these days, depending on the bandwith needed, storage required, etc. Also, maintaining internet access can be a source of income (for some), or can simply be utilizing free internet access at libraries, coffee shops, McDonalds, etc.

It is NOT easy to qualify for assistance, there are many, many forms to fill out, proof of citizenship, income, etc. and you have to renew/update that information often.

02 Jan 2012 14:44 #5 by FredHayek
And how many people on food stamps would have turned to crime to survive, might be a good societal trtrade off.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Jan 2012 14:53 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness
And how many are single mothers?

02 Jan 2012 16:59 #7 by Reverend Revelant

ShilohLady wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: creatingmotherhood.com/2011/11/09/food-stamp-etiquette/

This is now officially the first month in two years that my family has not been depending on food stamps to feed ourselves.

Note that the website was started in 2005 but apparently didn't start on Food Stamps until 2009 (first month in 2 years)...

You can host a website for minimal cost these days, depending on the bandwith needed, storage required, etc. Also, maintaining internet access can be a source of income (for some), or can simply be utilizing free internet access at libraries, coffee shops, McDonalds, etc.

It is NOT easy to qualify for assistance, there are many, many forms to fill out, proof of citizenship, income, etc. and you have to renew/update that information often.

First off... you needn't be "explaining" the internet to me. I've been utilizing the internet as far back as the 1970's (DARPANET), so I don't need a "how it works" lecture from you. And little missy, the subject of this thread, apparently pays for her own domain name, servaer space and internet access... from a Whois search...

Dresden Shumaker
Private Registration
2316 Delaware Ave Suite #266
Buffalo
NY, 14216-2687 US
866-434-0212
866-434-0211

What else has Dresden been doing?

Current
Campaigns Manager at AboutOne
Owner, Designer at Plaid House Designs
Owner and Writer at Creating Motherhood
Past
Around the Clock Caregiver at Shumaker & Associates
Executive Assistant at Universal Pictures
Education
NYU
Stella Adler Conservatory
Connections
124 connections
Dresden Shumaker's Experience

Campaigns Manager
AboutOne
Privately Held; 1-10 employees; Computer Software industry
June 2011 – Present (8 months)

Owner, Designer
Plaid House Designs
August 2010 – Present (1 year 6 months) The Internet

Owner and Writer
Creating Motherhood
September 2005 – Present (6 years 5 months) The Internet

Around the Clock Caregiver
Shumaker & Associates
January 2003 – October 2009 (6 years 10 months)

Full-time, in-home caregiver for a loved one with Alzheimer's.
Executive Assistant
Universal Pictures
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; GE; Entertainment industry
1997 – 2003 (6 years) Universal City, CA

Assistant to feature film director.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/dshumaker

Poor little Dresden.

(all information in this post is public domain and available to anyone)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

02 Jan 2012 17:25 #8 by Arlen
Receiving food stamps brings with it a certain amount of shame. That is as it should be.

02 Jan 2012 17:33 #9 by Kate

Arlen wrote: Receiving food stamps brings with it a certain amount of shame. That is as it should be.

Really? You think that someone who is down on their luck - perhaps through no fault of their own - should feel shame in asking for, and using, assistance?

02 Jan 2012 17:38 #10 by Arlen
The person who is "down on their luck" (as you say) is the exception, not the rule. But liberals always try to make the exeption the rule. That is how they get away with so many abusive programs.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds