Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness

02 Jan 2012 18:44 #21 by Reverend Revelant

Arlen wrote:

Kate wrote: Really? Such as?

That's what I mean.

I stated my opinion, just as you stated your opinion. Suddenly, you get bossy and demand things. Typical liberal reaction.

Typical totalitarian far-left reaction. It seems to me that Dresden, the subject of this thread, was not a poor, down and out poverty-level urchin. Look at her resume I posted. Seems like she has been quite busy for the last 8 years.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jan 2012 19:30 #22 by jf1acai

First off... you needn't be "explaining" the internet to me. I've been utilizing the internet as far back as the 1970's (DARPANET), so I don't need a "how it works" lecture from you. And little missy, the subject of this thread, apparently pays for her own domain name, servaer space and internet access...

<sarcasm>Good to know you are the only one here who has been involved in computing since the 70's</sarcasm> - in YOUR mind! - teaching your grandmother to suck eggs mean anything to you?

Seems like she has been quite busy for the last 8 years.

Yep, looks to me like she has been busting her a** trying to fulfill her obligations, and help others. Not just posting her "superior" opinions on a forum.

Congratulations to her!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

02 Jan 2012 20:25 #23 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness

Arlen wrote: Don't play games. "Compassionate Liberal" - what an oxymoron. There is no compassion in a policy that gives away our public monies to the unmotivated and lazy.

Can play games all I want to cuz you ain't the boss of me. That being said, this ain't no game. Food stamps are there for a very valid reason. When I saw people, proud people, literally shuffle, for the first time, into one of the food pantries I, and my family, were volunteering at, their demeanor was heartbreaking - eyes down, embarrassed beyond belief, ashamed to make eye contact, some even in tears. These were people who were riding high not long before that, people with good jobs, lots of "toys", nice homes, two solid incomes who, due to circumstances completely out of their control, were left with no option(s) other than to seek help to feed their families, or starve. These people, just a short while before, would never, ever consider the possibility they would be "reduced" to this kind of help to tide them over during their difficult time. But, there they were. They had no clue as to how to go about applying for public assistance. That's where we tried to help. The sense of gratitude was palpable - although none was necessary. They needed help, we tried to steer them in the right direction (food stamps was just one of the possibilities). So, when I say "compassionate conservative, what an oxymoron", it is meant more as an attempt at a wake-up call to everyone who looks down on and judges in a negative way those who are in need of assistance. Are we, as a society, so "numbed" to the needs of others that we no longer care about the needs of our neighbors? There should be no "stigma" attached to asking for help. Stereotyping everyone on public assistance into a category of "unmotivated and lazy" is insulting at best and disingenuous at worst.

02 Jan 2012 20:30 #24 by Arlen

zhawke wrote:

Arlen wrote: Don't play games. "Compassionate Liberal" - what an oxymoron. There is no compassion in a policy that gives away our public monies to the unmotivated and lazy.

Can play games all I want to cuz you ain't the boss of me. That being said, this ain't no game. Food stamps are there for a very valid reason. When I saw people, proud people, literally shuffle, for the first time, into one of the food pantries I, and my family, were volunteering at, their demeanor was heartbreaking - eyes down, embarrassed beyond belief, ashamed to make eye contact, some even in tears. These were people who were riding high not long before that, people with good jobs, lots of "toys", nice homes, two solid incomes who, due to circumstances completely out of their control, were left with no option(s) other than to seek help to feed their families, or starve. These people, just a short while before, would never, ever consider the possibility they would be "reduced" to this kind of help to tide them over during their difficult time. But, there they were. They had no clue as to how to go about applying for public assistance. That's where we tried to help. The sense of gratitude was palpable - although none was necessary. They needed help, we tried to steer them in the right direction (food stamps was just one of the possibilities). So, when I say "compassionate conservative, what an oxymoron", it is meant more as an attempt at a wake-up call to everyone who looks down on and judges in a negative way those who are in need of assistance. Are we, as a society, so "numbed" to the needs of others that we no longer care about the needs of our neighbors? There should be no "stigma" attached to asking for help. Stereotyping everyone on public assistance into a category of "unmotivated and lazy" is insulting at best and disingenuous at worst.

Your example is atypical. There are nearly 50 million people on food stamps as a normal way of life. Sure public assistance was setup for those who need temporary help. The stigma attached assures that it will be temporary. However there are millions who have no shame and it is how they live longterm and from generation to generation.

02 Jan 2012 20:41 #25 by ZHawke

Arlen wrote: Your example is atypical. There are nearly 50 million people on food stamps as a normal way of life. Sure public assistance was setup for those who need temporary help. The stigma attached assures that it will be temporary. However there are millions who have no shame and it is how they live longterm and from generation to generation.

Not buying your posit. How do you know for a fact "There are nearly 50 million people on food stamps as a normal way of life"? How do you know for a fact "there are millions who have no shame and it is how they live longterm and from generation to generation"?

While there are many websites out there that debunk the myths and misconceptions regarding food stamp fraud, one that I found particularly informative is this one:

http://www.wrahc.org/publications/Food%20Stamp%20Myths-Facts.html

You can believe what you want to believe, but I, personally, choose to believe in the inherent honesty, integrity, and goodness of my fellow human beings, even those who need to be on food stamps and who are receiving other types of public assistance in their time of need.

02 Jan 2012 20:48 #26 by Arlen
google it

And to your second part: you are a fool, then.

02 Jan 2012 21:14 #27 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Food Stamp Etiquette: Human Kindness

Stereotyping everyone on public assistance into a category of "unmotivated and lazy" is insulting at best and disingenuous at worst.

:yeahthat:

02 Jan 2012 21:18 #28 by Arlen
Then we can expect that the stereotyping of Christians to stop on these forums. That is great!

02 Jan 2012 22:38 #29 by ZHawke

Arlen wrote: google it

I googled it and could find nothing to support your posit. The only numbers that I could find stated "Food-stamp tally nears 40 million, sets record" taken from http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/05/07/us-food-usa-stamps-idUSTRE6465E220100507 . If you can direct me to a link, or anything at all, to support your posit, please do so. Otherwise, your argument is invalid.

If you are accusing me of being a fool for having compassion and understanding, then I'm guilty as charged, and proud of it. I'd much rather be that than someone who sits in judgement and looks down their nose at others in need,

03 Jan 2012 06:07 #30 by Reverend Revelant

zhawke wrote:

Arlen wrote: google it

I googled it and could find nothing to support your posit. The only numbers that I could find stated "Food-stamp tally nears 40 million, sets record" taken from http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/05/07/us-food-usa-stamps-idUSTRE6465E220100507 . If you can direct me to a link, or anything at all, to support your posit, please do so. Otherwise, your argument is invalid.

If you are accusing me of being a fool for having compassion and understanding, then I'm guilty as charged, and proud of it. I'd much rather be that than someone who sits in judgement and looks down their nose at others in need,

Compassionate and understanding is typically an excuse for someone who is incapable of making rational decisions. And to be proud of it is to admit defeat. There is nothing wrong with compassion, but it is not an open ended proposition. There are limits to compassion, both for the health and benefit of the one showing compassion and to the one the compassion is being given to. There is nothing wrong with making judgements. Wise men make judgements. Intelligent men make judgements.

Compassion and understanding entertained without the ability to make a judgement, without the intelligence to determine a compassionate need apart from a destructive want is the purvey of a fool. And in the long run it doesn't help anyone.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds