CU Loses On Concealed Carry

05 Mar 2012 14:51 #1 by FredHayek
CU issued a statement today that they had lost their case and had to permit people over the age of 21 the right to carry concealed.

Good news. :thumbsup:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Mar 2012 15:10 #2 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic CU Loses On Concealed Carry

FredHayek wrote: CU issued a statement today that they had lost their case and had to permit people over the age of 21 the right to carry concealed.

Good news. :thumbsup:

Why is that good news?

05 Mar 2012 15:16 #3 by FredHayek
The less fake gun free zones the better. You think Virginia Tech's gun free zone saved anyone? How about Columbines'? Gun free zones only limit the law abiding.

05 Mar 2012 15:53 #4 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic CU Loses On Concealed Carry

FredHayek wrote: The less fake gun free zones the better. You think Virginia Tech's gun free zone saved anyone? How about Columbines'? Gun free zones only limit the law abiding.

Oh, Fred - if only it were that simple. I've resisted entering into the gun control issue with regard to schools thus far, but will do so no longer. I'd encourage you (sincerely) to visit The PEACE Challenge facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/ThePEACEChallenge ) and enter into this type of discussion there (if you have a facebook account - if not, you can also register on The PEACE Challenge website at: http://thepeacechallenge.org/ and be able to discuss your positions there - it's completely free and without any obligation whatsoever). Suffice to say you are correct, in my opinion, regarding gun free zones being ineffective. That being said, I believe that gun free zones, just like drug free zones, are more "symbolic" than anything. What makes me even remotely qualified to comment on this? I had two children at Columbine High School (one of whom was critically injured) and two step-children who graduated from Platte Canyon High School prior to the shooting that occurred there. I'd really be interested in your, and others on 285Bound, perspectives on all of this and other school safety related issues. On facebook, all you need to do is click "like" to be able to post. Hope to see you there.

05 Mar 2012 18:00 #5 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic CU Loses On Concealed Carry
My condolences regarding your involvement with both Columbine and Platte Canyon.

I agree that the so called 'free' zones are mostly symbolic. I am not sure that the removal of the gun free zones would have much, if any effect on the number of incidents in these areas. I think those who create these incidents are unbalanced to the point where it may not deter them, although I don't think it would make them more likely to create these incidents.

Where I think it may make a difference is in the length of time/# of victims involved. If one or more qualified weapon carriers is present, the perpetrators are likely to be rendered ineffective much more quickly than otherwise, IMO.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

05 Mar 2012 18:18 #6 by plaidvillain
Or there will be additional injuries as a result of the "hero" possibly making bad choices. Regular civilians simply aren't prepared to make crucial, and potentially lethal, decissions during moments of extreme stress. Even if one has had military experience and is an ace shot at the range, the human body/mind has an extremely difficult time switching gears from civilian to Dirty Harry. Very often, CCW's simply create an additional danger to the public.

As a proud gun owning liberal, I wrestle with this issue. I wouldn't try to restrict others' CCW rights, but the argument that allowing CCW would change outcomes such as Columbine doesn't really consider the entire situation either.

05 Mar 2012 18:40 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
:Whistle

05 Mar 2012 18:42 #8 by FredHayek
Consider this, in the last 10 years, many States have passed concealed carry, Illinois is the last holdout. Yet the streets haven't run red with blood, crime and violence continue to decline, so it looks like concealed carry wasn't as dangerous as the left feared.

05 Mar 2012 18:46 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Your talking to your hand, cause they ain't gonna listen Fred.

05 Mar 2012 19:06 #10 by Photo-fish

FredHayek wrote: Consider this, in the last 10 years, many States have passed concealed carry, Illinois is the last holdout. Yet the streets haven't run red with blood, crime and violence continue to decline, so it looks like concealed carry wasn't as dangerous as the left feared.

Has the crime rate in Illinois declined at the same levels as in states where concealed carry is allowed?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds