I'm Calling the PRESIDENCY for Barack Obama...

07 Nov 2012 18:09 #71 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic I'm Calling the PRESIDENCY for Barack Obama...

archer wrote: If you look at the overnight markets, they rose on the news that Obama had won, but dropped dramatically this morning with the news from Germany and the European Central Bank. But if believing that the drop in the market is the result of Obama winning a 2nd term helps you cope with losing, be my guest.

Keep telling yourself that archer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Nov 2012 18:14 #72 by archer
I watch the markets CG, and read the morning reports....I guess I should just have asked you for an analysis instead of the experts.

07 Nov 2012 18:15 #73 by LadyJazzer

CinnamonGirl wrote: Keep telling yourself that archer.

Whatever gets you through the night... :biggrin:

Stock Market Collapse: Obama Reelection Not To Blame

And as Business Insider pointed out, stock futures were rising Wednesday morning, even after Obama's fairly resounding victory. They only started falling when it became clear that Europe's perpetual economic crisis was starting to affect German economic growth. European Central Bank President Mario Draghi also warned about the European economy. And investors started to get nervous again about the prospect of a Greek exit from the euro zone. All of those things helped conspire to send stocks down by a bunch in early trading.

Are there some effects of Obama's re-election in the market? Probably, yes. Many investors are only just now waking up to the possibility that he will push fiscal-cliff negotiations to the limit, because he has the leverage to do so. The banking sector is taking a beating today, not only because of its exposure to the European economy, but also because Obama's re-election, and Elizabeth Warren's election to the Senate, means the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, and the hated Volcker Rule limiting proprietary trading, are a done deal.

But it is crazy talk to pin one day's market swoon entirely on an Obama re-election.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... f=business

Ooooo... Pooor bankers... Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee... Dodd-Frank actually being enforced.... and the hated Volcker Rule getting in the way of their gambling with other people's money...

Dang... Bankers just can't find any love these days...

07 Nov 2012 18:18 #74 by archer
Oops....I forgot to add that the looming fiscal cliff is also weighing on the markets....do you have a source CG showing that Obama's election caused the market drop? Please share it if you do.

07 Nov 2012 18:30 #75 by FredHayek
Worst one day drop in the US market and it is all the fault of the Germans? Don't think any of it might be due to upset righties wanting to dump stocks before capital gains tax rates rise?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Nov 2012 18:43 #76 by archer

FredHayek wrote: Worst one day drop in the US market and it is all the fault of the Germans? Don't think any of it might be due to upset righties wanting to dump stocks before capital gains tax rates rise?

Another market expert weighs in......you and CG should start a market watch blog.

08 Nov 2012 06:42 #77 by Nobody that matters
The market is emotional. There's no science to it, it's all about how the investors 'feel' about the future. Some of the drop could be attributed to foreign markets making investors nervous. Couple that with Obama being re-elected, and you get nervous rich guys protecting their money by pulling it out of the market causing a large drop.

It's about pessimism, and only the most koolaide laden liberals are denying that there are rough times ahead. I don't see much reason for being optimistic given that congress is still split and we still have an inept negotiator in the white house.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

08 Nov 2012 07:02 #78 by LOL
I closed my TD Ameritrade account Wednesday, that must have caused it. :lol: Seriously, I just wasn't using it anymore and I finally got around to closing old accounts. Sorry about that.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Nov 2012 07:19 #79 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic I'm Calling the PRESIDENCY for Barack Obama...
There are many reasons the market dropped but if it was the fiscal cliff it would have been dropping this whole time. It was because they were waiting and have little confidence in Obama and Reid to get it done. So the fiscal cliff argument is hollow. This was not some fluky coincidence. The german thing was a factor but was that coincidence? Hmmmmm. They just decided to bring that up AFTER the election. Info was suppressed and now your guy has to deal with it. I hope he does.

08 Nov 2012 09:54 #80 by Raees
And what will your excuse be when the stock market recovers its several days of loses?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds