Zimmerman Trial? Predictions?

11 Jul 2013 08:14 #21 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote: I believe in THIS case the Sanford PD was negligent in pursuing all the facts and instead fell back on STAND YOUR GROUND and
took the easiest route to close this case.

No stand you ground law was invoked by any of the authorities...

When Sanford police arrived on the scene on February 26, 2012, after Zimmerman fatally shot unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, they conducted a "sound" investigation, and the evidence provided no probable cause to arrest Zimmerman at the scene, he said.

It had nothing to do with Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, he said; from an investigative standpoint, it was purely a matter of self-defense.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/10/justi ... index.html

Opinions and speculation has nothing to do with the actual facts in this case. I don't know how much clearer this can be for you?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2013 08:34 #22 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Zimmerman Trial? Predictions?
I think he's going to get 3rd degree murder or manslaughter (not involuntary MS) which will be nearly as bad as second degree murder... even if it wasn't proven. This case has been tainted by emotion and claims of racism from the media at the start... and like the OJ case, I believe racial factors will trump the actual known facts. But at least there won't be riots.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Jul 2013 09:56 #23 by pineinthegrass
The prosecution has surprised the defense this morning by asking for the 3rd degree murder option.

From what I've heard 3rd degree murder along with vehicular homicide, manslaughter, and aggravated assault are options (and maybe others) that the court can decide to offer if they are applicable. Apparently 3rd degree murder requires child abuse in order to apply.

Clearly vehicular homicide doesn't apply to this case and it seems most, including the defense, assumed 3rd degree murder wouldn't either. But the prosecution produced prior decisions to support it (rulings that murder of a child is also child abuse).

Still, it seems kind of sneaky since the defense was only informed of this at 7:30am this morning. The judge asked the defense to argue against offering the 3rd degree murder option which is hard to do right on the spot. And with all the case law the prosecution had, it's clear they've been preparing this for some time. I guess they are really worried about their 2nd degree murder case?

Anyway, the judge still needs to rule on any alternate charges. If I heard it right, it seems all (including the judge) agree aggravated assault does not apply. Also, I just heard the lawyers say 3rd degree murder is a lesser charge than manslaughter and I think the judge agreed. Anyway I'm listening as I'm typing so I may of missed something.

11 Jul 2013 10:00 #24 by Reverend Revelant

pineinthegrass wrote: The prosecution has surprised the defense this morning by asking for the 3rd degree murder option.

From what I've heard 3rd degree murder along with vehicular homicide, manslaughter, and aggravated assault are options (and maybe others) that the court can decide to offer if they are applicable. Apparently 3rd degree murder requires child abuse in order to apply.

Clearly vehicular homicide doesn't apply to this case and it seems most, including the defense, assumed 3rd degree murder wouldn't either. But the prosecution produced prior decisions to support it (rulings that murder of a child is also child abuse).

Still, it seems kind of sneaky since the defense was only informed of this at 7:30am this morning. The judge asked the defense to argue against offering the 3rd degree murder option which is hard to do right on the spot. And with all the case law the prosecution had, it's clear they've been preparing this for some time. I guess they are really worried about their 2nd degree murder case?

Anyway, the judge still needs to rule on any alternate charges. If I heard it right, it seems all (including the judge) agree aggravated assault does not apply. Also, I just heard the lawyers say 3rd degree murder is a lesser charge than manslaughter and I think the judge agreed. Anyway I'm listening as I'm typing so I may of missed something.

To clarify your information... the prosecution is asking for a 3rd degree murder charge BECAUSE the shooting was of a minor... they are claiming child abuse.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

11 Jul 2013 10:33 #25 by Rick

Walter L Newton wrote:

pineinthegrass wrote: The prosecution has surprised the defense this morning by asking for the 3rd degree murder option.

To clarify your information... the prosecution is asking for a 3rd degree murder charge BECAUSE the shooting was of a minor... they are claiming child abuse.

And there is ZERO evidence that Zimmerman knew he was a minor... but that fact probably won't matter.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Jul 2013 10:36 #26 by archer

Rick wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote:

And there is ZERO evidence that Zimmerman knew he was a minor... but that fact probably won't matter.

Under Florida law the perpetrator does not need to know the victim is a minor for the child abuse charge, even if the minor showed a false ID, the fact that he is actually under 18 is all that is relevant.

11 Jul 2013 10:45 #27 by Rick

archer wrote:

Rick wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote:

Under Florida law the perpetrator does not need to know the victim is a minor for the child abuse charge, even if the minor showed a false ID, the fact that he is actually under 18 is all that is relevant.

I would think there would have to be some sort or "intent to harm a child" to get a child abuse charge iin this particular case. Just like there needs to be some sort of knowledge of a victim's race or sexual orientation before someone could be charged with a hate crime. What's the difference?

George Orwell

11 Jul 2013 11:03 #28 by pineinthegrass
It appears the judge has ruled to only allow manslaughter to be considered as a lesser conviction. The 3rd degree murder charge will not be offered.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/11/19415120-zimmerman-to-face-lesser-charge-of-manslaughter-in-addition-to-second-degree-murder?lite

11 Jul 2013 11:08 #29 by archer
I think that was the right legal decision......

11 Jul 2013 11:45 #30 by homeagain

Walter L Newton wrote:

homeagain wrote: I believe in THIS case the Sanford PD was negligent in pursuing all the facts and instead fell back on STAND YOUR GROUND and
took the easiest route to close this case.

No stand you ground law was invoked by any of the authorities...

When Sanford police arrived on the scene on February 26, 2012, after Zimmerman fatally shot unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, they conducted a "sound" investigation, and the evidence provided no probable cause to arrest Zimmerman at the scene, he said.

It had nothing to do with Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, he said; from an investigative standpoint, it was purely a matter of self-defense.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/10/justi ... index.html

Opinions and speculation has nothing to do with the actual facts in this case. I don't know how much clearer this can be for you?

I believe YOU should READ THE ENTIRE report that I posted......the then Police Chief and his dept. was interviewed and they DID
IN FACT evoke Stand Your Ground as the reason for Z. QUESTIONABLE release without further investigation....DO THE RESEARCH,
the Chief was then voted out of office with a NO CONFIDENCE VOTE and was replaced.....the DOJ became involved because of
the strife and outcry from the community.....DO THE RESEARCH.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds