Worldwide Fast Food Strikes Today!

16 May 2014 12:42 #11 by Martin Enterprises
Conan wrote:
Martin your idea has merit, but the reality of the situation is that many people are just not good candidates for the military, whether for physical or mental conditions. There are standards recruits must meet and our military cannot take everyone in - it is not a welfare vehicle nor is it a counseling center.

I used this as an example, that our military doesn't even make minimum wage.
Yes most of them cannot pass a test to get into the military.
To make more money get an education learn a trade, minimum wage is a start into the WORKING world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2014 20:36 #12 by PrintSmith
The president, with his cell phone and his pen, has already encouraged a number of food service operations on military installations not to renew their contracts, or compelled them to ask to be released from their contracts, as a result of his executive orders that raise the minimum wage for these contract workers to $10.10 an hour. The addition of the new $3.81/hour "health and welfare" fringe benefit requirement didn't help matters either.

So we have a real world example of what will happen if the demanded wage increases are passed if anyone doubted the CBO estimate that it would cost at least 500,000 jobs if passed.

And while the statists love to point out how much money the evil MickeyD's makes each year in profits, what they are hoping the low information crowd will overlook is that the majority of the businesses are neither owned nor operated by the evil corporation. No, most of the McDonald's establishments that you see are franchises, owned and operated as small businesses with a net profit margin of under 10%. Such a wage hike will force them to raise their prices and reduce their workforce, there is simply no argument based in reason that returns any other possibility.

Not only would these small business have to pony up more for unskilled labor, they would have to pay out more in the excise taxes levied by the federal government on those wages. Not only this, but their semi-skilled and management employees would also expect to keep their current premium above the unskilled workers, forcing these employers to increase those wages, and those taxes, as well.

Minimum wage is for an entry level job. No skills, no experience. The number of people that are actually paid minimum wage is quite small, it's less than 5%. The problem gets to be that those who are earning slightly more than the minimum wage will expect to be kept ahead of what the minimum wage is instead of being in the minimum wage pool of workers if such a measure passes. And, as noted earlier, SEIU doesn't care about minimum wage workers, they care about their union members whose wages, which are above minimum wage, are tied to what the minimum wage level is. Not that the statists want that information widely circulated and their true intentions exposed for what they are. No, they will keep banging the drum as though a large portion of the population earns the minimum wage hoping that the low information voters will continue to be low information voters for just a little while longer and that when it comes time to pay the piper for their folly they will be able to convince these low information voters that their chosen scapegoat is responsible for the disaster.

16 May 2014 20:42 #13 by PrintSmith
FYI - if the initial minimum wage, enacted in 1936 as part of the "New Deal", was adjusted to represent 2012 dollars, that wage would not be $7.25/hour, and certainly not $10.10/ hr. No, it would be in the neighborhood of $3.50 an hour. Thus the employers today are already paying over double what "progressives" said was a fair and reasonable minimum wage when the law was first passed. That, to me, is enough of a burden on their backs already courtesy of the federal government . . .

16 May 2014 20:47 #14 by LadyJazzer
Higher Wages Boost Economy

Raising minimum wage creates jobs, boosts economy

It's important to remember the real source of job creation. Businesses hire more workers only when they have more customers. When they have fewer customers, they lay off workers. So the real job creators are consumers with enough money to buy.

Even Walmart might be starting to understand this. The company is "looking at" whether to support a minimum wage increase. David Tovar, a Walmart spokesman, noted that such a move would increase the company's payroll costs but would also put more money in the pockets of some of Walmart's customers.

In other words, forget what you're hearing from the Republicans and the Chamber of Commerce. The real job killers in America are lousy jobs at lousy wages.

You pump more $$ into the economy and the economy grows... It's called "trickle-UP"...No wonder the 1%'ers and oligarchy hate the idea.... Since trickle-down hasn't, doesn't and won't, it's a great idea to get thousands off of SNAP, off the rolls of the hungry, and decrease the number of WalMart employees they DUMP on the welfare rolls so the taxpayers can subsidize their sh*t tactics.

17 May 2014 05:49 #15 by Martin Enterprises
Zactly, it does nothing to boost economy.

Another left wing-nut propaganda pc.

17 May 2014 08:56 #16 by LadyJazzer
Even if we lose a few seats in November, 2016 is going to be a disaster for the GoTP.... I'm willing to wait... :biggrin:

Actually, it DOES boost the economy... And you're entitled to your opinion.

17 May 2014 12:14 #17 by gmule

LadyJazzer wrote: Yeah, those stinkin' 30-60 year olds that are trying to feed their families and have flexible hours for their kids don't need much help "staying on the bottom of the ladder."

(FACT: Median age of fast-food workers is 28...) (Reuters, TheAtlantic, FauxNoise.....)

Lets put a little perspective on things
Auto mechanics on average make 17.00 Per hour
Construction laborers make on average 14.50 per hour
Daycare workers make an average of 9.37 per hour.

Yet you think that burger flippers should make the same kind of money for the work that they do?

Oh, here is your link as to where those figures came from
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/salaryinf ... y-list.htm
(Wage data is from 2012 but from what I am seeing it is accurate for 2014 as well. I used the standard 2080 hours worked per year to break out the hourly wage.)

17 May 2014 14:23 #18 by LadyJazzer
Yes..

I believe in a minimum-wage of AT LEAST $10.10/hour, and if the current $7.25/hour had been adjusted for inflation since it was set, it would be around $22/hour.

I already told you where my information came from re: median-age for fast food workers.

My "perspective" is just fine, thank you.

17 May 2014 14:54 #19 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: Even if we lose a few seats in November, 2016 is going to be a disaster for the GoTP.... I'm willing to wait... :biggrin:

Actually, it DOES boost the economy... And you're entitled to your opinion.

Why do you suppose that with the old white republican bigots dying off in droves you would loose some seats in November?

17 May 2014 15:38 #20 by Blazer Bob

gmule wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: Yeah, those stinkin' 30-60 year olds that are trying to feed their families and have flexible hours for their kids don't need much help "staying on the bottom of the ladder."

(FACT: Median age of fast-food workers is 28...) (Reuters, TheAtlantic, FauxNoise.....)

Lets put a little perspective on things
Auto mechanics on average make 17.00 Per hour
Construction laborers make on average 14.50 per hour
Daycare workers make an average of 9.37 per hour.

Yet you think that burger flippers should make the same kind of money for the work that they do?

Oh, here is your link as to where those figures came from
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/salaryinf ... y-list.htm
(Wage data is from 2012 but from what I am seeing it is accurate for 2014 as well. I used the standard 2080 hours worked per year to break out the hourly wage.)

Economic illiteracy is rampant on the left. Ask LJ. All we need to do is raise taxes on the rich and somehow the government will kiss it and make it better.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds