Worldwide Fast Food Strikes Today!

15 May 2014 09:45 #1 by FredHayek
$15 an hour they are demanding. Think they will be successful?
Meanwhile McDonalds and Panera Bread are looking at replacing cashiers with consoles.

Would you prefer using a console? I remember Arby's tried them years ago but it must not have worked out.

If the strike is successful and Americans are blocked from buying fast food, the US might wind up millions of pounds lighter! And millions of miles of arteries would unclog.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 May 2014 10:21 #2 by OmniScience

FredHayek wrote: $15 an hour they are demanding. Think they will be successful?
Meanwhile McDonalds and Panera Bread are looking at replacing cashiers with consoles.

Just a matter of time before the "ya want fries with that?" folks are no longer needed at fast food places. Between higher wage demands and increased health care costs, its a no-brainer that companies like McD's will be looking at alternatives to reduce unnecessary staff.

$30k+/year to hand someone a bag of crappy food? Their days may be numbered.

15 May 2014 18:13 #3 by Martin Enterprises
Let them SOB's go into the military.
getting your ass shot at for less than minimum wage sux.
Even more so back in the day, when it was uhh 1.60

It was never ment to be a career. Of course the ones wanting this as a career have no
brains anyway so they need to stay on the bottom of the ladder.

15 May 2014 18:34 #4 by LadyJazzer
Yeah, those stinkin' 30-60 year olds that are trying to feed their families and have flexible hours for their kids don't need much help "staying on the bottom of the ladder."

(FACT: Median age of fast-food workers is 28...) (Reuters, TheAtlantic, FauxNoise.....)

15 May 2014 18:57 #5 by LOL
:heart: :heart: I love my egg sausage mcmuffins and bacon and egg cheese biscuits! YUMMMY :)

Sarah at the drive thru knows me well and is soooooo sweet! :heart: :heart: :heart:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

15 May 2014 19:05 #6 by Martin Enterprises

15 May 2014 19:29 #7 by ScienceChic

LOL wrote: :heart: :heart: I love my egg sausage mcmuffins and bacon and egg cheese biscuits! YUMMMY :)

Sarah at the drive thru knows me well and is soooooo sweet! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Oh, that's jut nasty right there. lol Stick with beer, your heart will thank you! :ThumbsUp:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 May 2014 10:31 #8 by Conan
Huh. According to PolitiFact this is Mostly True. "Rick Santorum: Minimum wage increase would cost 500,000 jobs"
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... -cost-500/

That doesn't seem the best solution. I would guess that a bump like this in the minimum wage would be like tossing a stone into the water which would result in an immediate high wave that tempers out over time, but is there any way to help those who are working hard and not earning enough to make more without such a drastic wave of harm at the onset? Is implementing a big jump in minimum wage the way to go, or can it be done in increments to keep up with standard of living costs? I would guess that employers would be able to keep more workers on if it went up by say $1/year over the next 10 years instead of $3-5 at once.

Martin your idea has merit, but the reality of the situation is that many people are just not good candidates for the military, whether for physical or mental conditions. There are standards recruits must meet and our military cannot take everyone in - it is not a welfare vehicle nor is it a counseling center.

16 May 2014 10:36 #9 by RenegadeCJ
The main reason for this push by the unions has nothing to do with "helping" the few on minimum wage. It is because virtually all union members have wages with a "baseline" attached to minimum wage. If minimum wage went to $15, all their wages would go up drastically.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

16 May 2014 11:17 #10 by FredHayek

Conan wrote: Huh. According to PolitiFact this is Mostly True. "Rick Santorum: Minimum wage increase would cost 500,000 jobs"
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... -cost-500/

That doesn't seem the best solution. I would guess that a bump like this in the minimum wage would be like tossing a stone into the water which would result in an immediate high wave that tempers out over time, but is there any way to help those who are working hard and not earning enough to make more without such a drastic wave of harm at the onset? Is implementing a big jump in minimum wage the way to go, or can it be done in increments to keep up with standard of living costs? I would guess that employers would be able to keep more workers on if it went up by say $1/year over the next 10 years instead of $3-5 at once.

Martin your idea has merit, but the reality of the situation is that many people are just not good candidates for the military, whether for physical or mental conditions. There are standards recruits must meet and our military cannot take everyone in - it is not a welfare vehicle nor is it a counseling center.

Don't we already have something for the people who can't advance beyond minimum wage, called the earned income tax credit?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds