Impeachment proceedings against Trump

09 Apr 2019 14:47 #521 by parkcobound
ok, except the Starr report had nothing to do with national security and if you want to talk about what's crazy is now the republicans do not want the truth to be out.... they wanted all of the details of the Starr report, but not this - so say what you will but both are the same thing to me - except that the details of the Starr report do not matter to anyone really. Clinton lied - lied about having sex with the intern. who cares. I'm still mad they spent my tax dollars finding that out - AND mad he didn't just tell the stinking truth from the get go. AND it was released - in full and no one cares what the contents are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2019 14:58 #522 by parkcobound
I might add too that I believe there is a great danger in not releasing it. Redactions must be done I am sure, however, the bulk of it needs to be released or the country will never get passed this. If there is nothing in there to point fingers at Trump or his campaign team...the folks who think there is need to know that. Equally, of there are issues that may not be crimes specifically, but present themselves as shady deals or appear to cross the line, I believe we the people, the citizens of this country, have the right to know about it, and the people in charge of running this country have a duty to assure the citizens that the country is being run the way it is supposed to be run. I have been called unrealistic - and I am not, I see fully the truth about politics and know that it goes further than what I even see - but I have the right, as an American, to hope for a better America and better governance.

09 Apr 2019 15:37 #523 by Pony Soldier
Yes, and because it was released in full, the democrats passed rules about releasing special counsel reports that Barr is now following. You either follow the rules or not.

09 Apr 2019 15:57 #524 by parkcobound
time.com/5558083/mueller-report-release-starr/
you may want to read this link. I thought it was pretty interesting. Regardless, I think not releasing as much of this report as possible is a danger. If it really is a "nothing burger" the skeptics will not be satisfied without proof.

09 Apr 2019 17:22 #525 by ScienceChic
In case anyone wants to watch Barr's testimony in full for themselves:
AG Barr's testimony today - Video
C-SPAN | April 9, 2019

Justice Department Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Request

Attorney General William Barr testified before a House Appropriations subcommittee regarding the the fiscal year 2020 budget request for the Justice Department. Many lawmakers asked the attorney general about his handling of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, which had not yet been made public. Mr. Barr promised to have the redacted report released within a week, and detailed how the report would be redacted and for what reasons. Lawmakers also asked about various Justice Department programs and their funding, including civil rights, voting rights, and the Violence Against Women Act.

towermonkey wrote: Yes, and because it was released in full, the democrats passed rules about releasing special counsel reports that Barr is now following. You either follow the rules or not.

"Democrats passed rules" - got a source to support that? Because I'm finding that it was created by internal DOJ regulations, not "passed" as in legislation passed by a vote, and there are no authors listed. BTW, here are the regulations.

We are not reliving Whitewater: Differences in Starr and Mueller investigations
BY KIM WEHLE, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR, The Hill — 03/11/19

The fundamental legal difference between the Starr and Mueller probes has to do with the law governing the process of investigating a president for potential criminal wrongdoing.

Starr acted pursuant to a statute passed by Congress. Called the Ethics and Government Act of 1978, the law authorized Starr to send information he collected to the United States Congress and to provide recommendations related to impeachment of the person under investigation.

The Supreme Court upheld the statute as constitutional despite its creation of a prosecutor who didn’t answer to the president — the boss of all federal prosecutors under Article II of the Constitution. The law lapsed in 1999.

What replaced it was not a statute, but a regulation. A regulation is a rule with the power of law created by an agency instead of Congress. Regulations are constitutionally problematic because they are not passed by Congress, but by the executive branch. Most of the time, regulations must be promulgated pursuant to what’s known as the notice-and-comment process, which requires that agencies get the public’s input before they become law.

The regulation governing special counsel Robert Mueller was created internally by DOJ lawyers who report to the president.

Here’s the irony: The two functional barriers to holding a president accountable for wrongdoing short of impeachment under the current legal regime — i.e., the “no indictment” rule and the “confidential report” rule — were both created by people within the chain of command to the Executive Office of the President.

The Mueller Report and Ken Starr’s 'Contempt'
By Bob Bauer, Lawfare Blog Wednesday, February 27, 2019

In sum, Starr tells the story of a prosecutor charged with investigating a president who fails to define his role with precision and avoid becoming swept up in the politics of impeachment. And there is every reason to believe, and to hope, that Robert Mueller will not make the same mistakes.

A good point:
Monica Lewinsky Laments Secrecy of Mueller Report After Lurid Details of Clinton Relationship Were in Starr Report
By Adam Carlson, People | March 28, 2019

On Tuesday Kerr tweeted, “Imagine if the Starr Report had been provided only to President Clinton’s Attorney General, Janet Reno, who then read it privately and published a 4-page letter based on her private reading stating her conclusion that President Clinton committed no crimes.”

Everyone Got to Read the Starr Report on Bill Clinton. Here’s Why the Mueller Report May Not Get the Same Treatment
BY OLIVIA B. WAXMAN, Time | MARCH 25, 2019

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: parkcobound

10 Apr 2019 07:05 #526 by Pony Soldier
Ok, you're right. The DoJ imposed new regulations in response to the democrats howling about the release of information in the Starr report. The information was salacious and damaging to a person who was not to be indicted. It should NEVER have been released. In this case, I believe the redacted version should be released as it contains similar information. Mueller (who I still have no faith in) is helping with the redactions. If you have faith in this report, why wouldn't you trust the guy who wrote it with redactions? I have faith in neither the report nor the guy who wrote it.

18 Apr 2019 07:46 - 18 Apr 2019 07:55 #527 by ScienceChic
Barr's press conference: www.pscp.tv/w/1MYxNdWOwkOGw

Edit to add: here's the transcription of his speech
Document: Bill Barr's Prepared Remarks at Press Conference on the Mueller Report
By Matthew Kahn | Thursday, April 18, 2019, 9:48 AM

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Apr 2019 07:59 #528 by Blazer Bob
LOL
www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsgs.aspx?su...ze=50&batchtype=Next

"Psychologists say something disturbingly abnormal about a man as clean as Trump."

18 Apr 2019 09:23 - 18 Apr 2019 11:15 #529 by ScienceChic
Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election
Volume I and II (Vol II begins on Page 200)
Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller, III

The following user(s) said Thank You: parkcobound

18 Apr 2019 10:41 #530 by FredHayek

parkcobound wrote: ok, except the Starr report had nothing to do with national security and if you want to talk about what's crazy is now the republicans do not want the truth to be out.... they wanted all of the details of the Starr report, but not this - so say what you will but both are the same thing to me - except that the details of the Starr report do not matter to anyone really. Clinton lied - lied about having sex with the intern. who cares. I'm still mad they spent my tax dollars finding that out - AND mad he didn't just tell the stinking truth from the get go. AND it was released - in full and no one cares what the contents are.

Did it not have anything to do with national security? A president having an affair backed up with DNA evidence could easily be blackmailed if a foreign government gets ahold of the information. Clinton repeatedly denied having sex with that woman so it was something he wanted to hide. What would he have done to keep Monicagate quiet?

LOL: Trump? Everyone knows he has affairs while his wife is pregnant! But back in Bill's days it was still something to hide. Would Jon Edwards and Gary Hart have been president with the new standards?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds