Biden accomplishments

16 Sep 2022 07:45 #551 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic Biden accomplishments

Rick wrote: If the plan is to flood the country with poor illegals but to keep them in Texas and Arizona, what is the purpose of these sanctuary cities you are all so proud of?

Whose plan? Can you provide a link that shows this plan? Please give me some facts.

Also, please show me who is "proud" of sanctuary cities. Again, please provide proof.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2022 08:09 #552 by koobookie
In addition to the last post, I think we can both agree that the reason Florida and Texas are transporting asylum seeking migrants to liberal states - especially a rich enclave like Martha's Vineyard - is to score political points.

Republicans have little to run on this mid-term, especially after the Roe debacle. Conservatives know that they might lose more political power, so they are stirring up their base with a reliable bogeyman - illegal immigration. Most Americans don't understand that these migrants are seeking asylum from their governments.

This is all just for show. The fact that no officials on MV were notified of the arrival of the airplane and had time to prepare, yet FOX news was there to film the arrival, tells you this was a political performance.

It's just now coming out that the asylum seeking migrants that were dumped in MV were told they were going to Boston and were to be provided jobs, housing, etc. There will most likely be a lawsuit over this.

I find this whole stunt to be despicable. Using humans as pawns on a political stage is disgusting.

16 Sep 2022 08:28 #553 by koobookie
You might want to read this opinion analysis at CNN, Rick. It actually makes sense of the motivation behind the Florida & Texas Governor's actions and has some history of when a similar action was taken in 1962 to bus blacks to liberal cities.

It was the spring of 1962, and officials in New York and other cities were grappling with how best to respond to an outrageous act: the decision of southern segregationists to begin funding one-way trips to the North for Black citizens in what they called “reverse Freedom Rides” – a jab at the efforts of civil rights activists to desegregate interstate travel.

Officials understood it was both a publicity stunt (as historian Clive Webb has documented, segregationists tipped off local media to the arrival of migrants) and an act of stunning cruelty (segregationists lied to migrants, saying jobs and housing awaited them in their new cities.)

For Ron DeSantis, the Florida governor who took responsibility for the Martha’s Vineyard flights, the proper people were outraged and delighted. Liberal shock, conservative glee: these were the emotions DeSantis hoped to evoke with his latest round of “trigger the libs” politicking. It is a politics devoid of efforts to develop workable policies, devoted instead to grabbing headlines and building support with the Republican Party’s Trumpian base.

(emphasis mine)

www.cnn.com/2022/09/15/opinions/desantis...rd-hemmer/index.html

16 Sep 2022 08:41 #554 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Biden accomplishments

koobookie wrote:

Rick wrote: If the plan is to flood the country with poor illegals but to keep them in Texas and Arizona, what is the purpose of these sanctuary cities you are all so proud of?

Whose plan? Can you provide a link that shows this plan? Please give me some facts.

Also, please show me who is "proud" of sanctuary cities. Again, please provide proof.

You must have missed Biden’s words when he invited people to cross our border. Of course your party isn’t going to announce a plan to welcome in millions of people outside the legal immigration channel.., that would be very hard to defend. Have you seen the numbers?

There are sanctuary cities and states all over the country, that is a fact I know you are aware of. Do you believe elected leaders would not be proud of sanctuaries for illegals that they created? Don’t you think that would be a little weird if they were not proud of their own creation?

You put so much weight on links to what other people are saying but apparently you can’t look at facts and make your own conclusions.

Which part of what I just said is factually inaccurate?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Sep 2022 08:54 #555 by koobookie
The way constructive debate works is that if you make an assertion, you must be able to back it up with facts, otherwise it can be dismissed out of hand.

I did, in fact, miss "Biden’s words when he invited people to cross our border." Can you provide a link that shows that? Thanks. And no, I have not seen the numbers. Again, please provide a link. Thanks.

p.s. - please use reputable sources. Thanks.

16 Sep 2022 11:00 #556 by koobookie
Here's a Biden accomplishment:

Tentative labor deal averts threat of nationwide rail strike

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rail companies and their workers reached a tentative agreement Thursday to avert a nationwide strike that could have shut down the nation’s freight trains and devastated the economy less than two months before the midterm elections.

President Joe Biden announced the deal, which emerged from a marathon 20-hour negotiating session at the Labor Department and came just one day before the threatened walkout.

“This agreement is validation of what I’ve always believed — unions and management can work together ... for the benefit of everyone,” Biden said at the White House.

apnews.com/article/biden-economy-strikes...69444da99fec9dde1b3e

16 Sep 2022 19:14 #557 by Rick

koobookie wrote: The way constructive debate works is that if you make an assertion, you must be able to back it up with facts, otherwise it can be dismissed out of hand.

I did, in fact, miss "Biden’s words when he invited people to cross our border."

I’m left with just a stupid smart phone for a while since we are in the process of selling our house… not having much luck copying video but can copy text. Here’s what he said during one of the debates… his words 100%, if I’m wrong I’ll leave here for 6 months.

Biden: "I would, in fact, make sure that there is, we immediate surge to the border, all those people seeking asylum they deserve to be heard, that's who we are, we are nation that says if you want to flee and you are fleeing oppression you should come.

[/b]

Just so you understand my position on people crossing our borders looking for a better life, I don’t blame them. If I lived in a shit hole ruled by inept people (we are half way there), I would do whatever possible to get my family to a better place. I would even cross the US border without going through the legal channels. I would also say whatever I had to, including saying that we were being oppressed… who wouldn’t?

If I was uncertain about making that trip, I’m pretty sure I would feel much better about it if the US president told the world that I should surge the border, that I should come. It’s not really very complicated because it was an invitation.

We have millions of Americans struggling to feed their families and our country is drowning in debt. If you have a good argument for why we should take everybody who wants to come that says they want asylum, then we should continue from there. I’d also like to know if any other country in the planet has ever tried that and how did it work out?

I’ll address the numbers later, since it’s better to do one question at a time since it’s more likely that we both get answers.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Sep 2022 07:34 #558 by koobookie
That's not exactly "open borders" now, is it. First, that quote is from the first Democratic debate when there were several democrats vying for the nomination. Biden didn't have any authority to "open the borders" when he said that. What policies has he, as President, implemented that followed through on that statement from the debate?

Second - it's rather clear from the quote that what he is inviting is asylum seekers that want to escape oppressive governments and terrible situations, not inviting people to cross illegally.

Third - we don't have "open borders." That's a line that's being fed to you by conservative media in order to rile you up prior to the elections, just like they always do to their base. This was written by Heather Cox Richardson, a history professor from Boston College:

In fact, the border is not “open.” Fences, surveillance technology, and about 20,000 Border Patrol agents make the border more secure than it has ever been. That means apprehensions of undocumented migrants are up, with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recording more than 3 million encounters at the border since January 2021. Those high numbers reflect people stopped from coming in and are artificially inflated because many who are stopped try again. CBP estimates that about 27% of those stopped at the border are repeat apprehensions.

Please show me what Biden has done since becoming President that has opened the borders to illegal immigration.

17 Sep 2022 08:21 #559 by Rick

koobookie wrote:
Please show me what Biden has done since becoming President that has opened the borders to illegal immigration.

]

First, let’s not stray from the question you asked me, then we can move forward. You asked me to show you proof that Biden invited immigrants to come here. I provided that proof. It was an invitation made by the man who would soon become president. Those words were broadcast around the world through print, tv, and internet. Those words have meaning and people were listening.

As for what policies he made to make it easier for the people he invited to come here, well, he reversed every Trump policy that made it more difficult to come here illegally.

I don’t believe he has done anything to fix the legal method of entering the country, he only made it easier to enter illegally.

Let’s start there.

George Orwell

17 Sep 2022 08:32 #560 by koobookie

...he reversed every Trump policy that made it more difficult to come here illegally.

List those policies that he reversed.

Again, from Heather Cox Richardson:

Beginning around 2014, people began to flee “warlike levels of violence” in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, coming to the U.S. for asylum. This is legal, although most come illegally, taking their chances with smugglers who collect fees to protect migrants on the Mexican side of the border and to get them into the U.S.

The Obama administration tried to deter migrants by expanding the detention of families, and it made significant investments in Central America in an attempt to stabilize the region by expanding economic development and promoting security. The Trump administration emphasized deterrence. It cut off support to Central American countries, worked with authoritarians to try to stop regional gangs, drastically limited the number of refugees the U.S. would admit, and—infamously—deliberately separated children from their parents to deter would-be asylum seekers.

The number of migrants to the U.S. dropped throughout Trump’s years in office. The Trump administration gutted immigration staff and facilities and then cut off immigration during the pandemic under Title 42, a public health order.

The Biden administration coincided with the easing of the pandemic and catastrophic storms in Central America, leading migration to jump, but the administration continued to turn migrants back under Title 42 and resumed working with Central American countries to stem the violence that is sparking people to flee. (In nine months, the Trump administration expelled more than 400,000 people under Title 42; in Biden’s first 18 months, his administration expelled 1.7 million people.)

Please, tell me what the Biden administration has done to open the borders. Be specific.

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds