'Good Guy With A Gun' stories

19 May 2021 08:31 #41 by homeagain
SEE my musical post by Dire Straits.......BIG HEAP OF TROUBLE in the west

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 May 2021 09:13 #42 by Wayne Harrison
Attachments:

19 May 2021 09:43 #43 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: AND NOW...we have Texas passing a law that gun owner does NOT need a permit.

www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/politics/permitle...uns-texas/index.html

The lawless west has become a contemporary phrase

There are almost twenty states where you don't need a permit to carry a gun concealed legally. And many of those same states let you carry a gun openly. They still have less gun crime than Chicago, one of the cities with the most restrictive gun laws.

Tip: criminals don't obey gun laws.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 May 2021 10:07 #44 by Wayne Harrison

FredHayek wrote: Tip: criminals don't obey gun laws.

Ah, the tired, old argument from the gun lobby.

It's been shown that criminals don't obey any laws, Fred. But we still have laws against speeding, arson, murder and rape, don't we?

24 May 2021 12:52 #45 by ramage
Anecdotal, or one-by-one examples can be given into the next century, Here is what our CDC reports:

Estimates of defensive gun use vary depending on the questions asked, populations studied, timeframe, and other factors related to the design of studies. The report Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence indicates a range of 60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob, Rick

24 May 2021 18:20 #46 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic 'Good Guy With A Gun' stories
As usual, California leftists have a fantastic plan!

California Democratic lawmakers look to remove penalty for possessing firearm during crime

www.foxnews.com/us/california-democratic...firearm-during-crime

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 May 2021 19:09 #47 by Wayne Harrison

ramage wrote: Anecdotal, or one-by-one examples can be given into the next century, Here is what our CDC reports:

Estimates of defensive gun use vary depending on the questions asked, populations studied, timeframe, and other factors related to the design of studies. The report Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence indicates a range of 60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year.

If true, that works out to 6,849 defensive gun uses a day. If true, it shouldn't be a problem to post some examples every day in this thread. Maybe just a 100 or 500 every day to make it easy.

25 May 2021 07:46 #48 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic 'Good Guy With A Gun' stories

Wayne Harrison wrote:

ramage wrote: Anecdotal, or one-by-one examples can be given into the next century, Here is what our CDC reports:

If true, that works out to 6,849 defensive gun uses a day. If true, it shouldn't be a problem to post some examples every day in this thread. Maybe just a 100 or 500 every day to make it easy.

Your fellow 'journalists' are the only way we get our information, as you know. They like to focus on the bad things that happen with guns, just like you do. They pounce on a small handful of police shootings that fit their narrative that police are bad and systemically racist. There are millions of police encounters every day and thousands of people helped by police, yet those stories don't interest the people who want to continue their biased narratives. Journalism is supposed to be a righteous and honorable profession, but it's been destroyed beyond repair because of political bias.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 May 2021 08:28 #49 by ramage
I would refer you to the following website which will give you an update.

www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/5...-citizen-may-21-2021

As Rick has pointed out, the MSM has no interest in reporting these incidents, Their attitude is best exemplified as:

"Move along, nothing to see here." Officer Barbrady, South Park

25 May 2021 08:50 #50 by Wayne Harrison
As I've stated before. I define newsas "the departure from the norm."

People don't want to read about the 5,000 planes that took off and landed safely every day. They're interested in reading about the one that crashed. Or the one where a passenger had a medical emergency in flight and another passenger stepped forward and saved their life.

On a local scale, they don't want to read about the 10 million husbands who didn't kill their wives. They want to read about the one husband who claims his wife and kids disappeared and it turns out that he killed them and stuffed them in oil barrels.

The public isn't interested in the 500 local cops that did their job without incident. They want to read about the cops who found a homeless person and bought groceries for their family or the other cops who found an old lady with alzheimer's and broke her arm arresting her.

I completely disagree with you that journalists are the only way you get information in today's world. In fact, I'm very surprised you even claimed that.

I'm not sure why you focus on my career in journalism and not on anybody else's career here (including your own). There are unscrupulous dudes in every profession, as you well know.

When Fox News began and flourished, leaning hard right and anti-left with every story, making money hands over fist, it showed that "balanced" journalism was on its way out as a business model. The audience is biased - each in its own way and the majority seek out the media that fits their thinking. It's called "confirmation bias." That OAN and Newsmax are succeeding speaks to the lack of intellect in the public that not only watches them but believes what they are spewing.

Finally, what do I know? I graduated high school and never went to college to formally study journalism. I was the only one in my last job with that hanging around my neck. I spent 52 years in the trenches learning my trade. I'm very proud of what I accomplished and what the organizations I worked for accomplished. So don't try to tar and feather me as a journalist, Rick. I look back on the work I did proudly. I made a difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: koobookie

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds