So what is the Glenn Beck rally actually ABOUT?

28 Aug 2010 22:59 #41 by The Viking

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Becky wrote: How are you feeling about that last election Wayne?

From the Washington Post...
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/201 ... f-her.html

If her estimates are right....1 million folks joined Mr Beck for a day at the Lincoln Memorial.

Most of the news reports had the attendance at about 87,000 for Mr. Beck, a far cry from one million and much less than the 500,000 he had projected.

LMAO!!! rofllol rofllol What reports are you looking at? The lowest I saw that is credible was from NBC who said about 300,000. They were expecting about 100,000 for the longest time so I would say this caught fire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2010 00:04 #42 by The Viking
Did I read it right? The rally Al Sharpten held only had several hundred? I guess the bloom has wore off his rose. That is why he is so ticked that some white guy can bring together all nationalities and religions and have between 300,000 and 1 million on MLK's anniversary of his famous speech.

29 Aug 2010 02:11 #43 by Travelingirl

AspenValley wrote: It's called "Restoring Honor"? Who lost it?

Beck says it's about "honoring the military", but none of the hype he himself has generated about it seems too interested in that topic.

He says it's about "reclaiming civil rights"????? What is THAT supposed to mean in this context?

He says it is non-political, in fact it HAS to be non-political under non-profit rules, but Sarah Palin is featured prominently as well as the Tea Pary connection?

There was something about launching a book of his called "The Plan", which was apparently scrubbed. So this started as some sort of huge book signing party but now there is no book?

He's also talked a lot about it being "about God". And has talked about not writing a speech, so the spirit could speak "if He wanted to". Hmmmm. Not sure what to say about that one, except to wonder what will happen if the spirit DOESN'T want to speak. Will Beck just stand up there looking foolish?

Seriously, this whole thing seems really confused and the purpose and meaning (?) of it all seem to keep shifting like quicksand. I am not a Beck follower, is he always this....flaky?

Seems like a fairly simple message to understand:

Faith
Hope
Charity

How is this flaky? Are these not all admirable traits we could all probably agree on to at least some degree? And would you agree they all might need a little restoring individually and as a nation? I've watched most of the program and I love seeing the 245 pastors of every race and religion standing behind him. Like he said, they may not all agree on certain theology but they do agree that America needs God. Pretty simple message.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound...God bless this nation.

29 Aug 2010 07:22 #44 by Photo-fish
Amen and all that....

But flaky in that he yammered all week about taking back the civil rights movement and then produced whatever that was yesterday. The civil rightst thingy was a smokescreen for what?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

29 Aug 2010 07:30 #45 by outdoor338
Photo, did you watch it? I saw parts of it..had some good things..I want to watch the re-runs of becks and sharptons tonight..

29 Aug 2010 07:45 #46 by Wayne Harrison
Beck has pilloried Hope and Charity in the past. King was most of all for social justice. Beck has slammed social justice for years. Now, all of a sudden, he's for it?

[ds:1vqywodb] www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-26-2010/i-have-a-scheme [/ds:1vqywodb]

29 Aug 2010 07:55 #47 by CC
What social justice has he actually slammed?

29 Aug 2010 08:04 #48 by Wayne Harrison
Oh, you know, like churches preaching social justice.

Beck: Social justice "is a perversion of the Gospel," "not what Jesus was saying"

[mm:1pak3613] mediamatters.org/embed/cfg2?id=201003110017 [/mm:1pak3613]

On his daily radio and television shows last week, Fox News personality Glenn Beck set out to convince his audience that "social justice," the term many Christian churches use to describe their efforts to address poverty and human rights, is a "code word" for communism and Nazism. Beck urged Christians to discuss the term with their priests and to leave their churches if leaders would not reconsider their emphasis on social justice.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03/08 ... ch-social/

Last week, the conservative broadcaster Glenn Beck called on Christians to leave their churches if they hear preaching about social or economic justice, saying they were code words for Communism and Nazism.

This week the remarks prompted outrage from several Christian bloggers. The Rev. Jim Wallis, who leads the liberal Christian antipoverty group Sojourners, in Washington, called on Christians to leave Glenn Beck.

“What he has said attacks the very heart of our Christian faith, and Christians should no longer watch his show,” Mr. Wallis wrote on his blog, God’s Politics. “His show should now be in the same category as Howard Stern.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/us/12justice.html

(If you recall, Dr. King preached social justice from the pulpit, something Beck is very much against)

29 Aug 2010 08:15 #49 by outdoor338
OK, suppose you explain the many pastors who are preaching politics and not the gospel in their churches, like sharpton, jackson, wright, etc..seems like you forgot about those pals you support..JMHO

29 Aug 2010 08:18 #50 by Wayne Harrison
There you go again...

"pals" and going on about who I support, even though I've never, ever said I support them.

In fact, I don't support any of them.

The thread is about Beck claiming he supports MLK when in fact, he's very much against social justice and vilifies it on his shows.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds