Like your lives are gonna change

05 Nov 2010 22:46 #71 by major bean
Federally backed student loans should be discontinued?
This is the very basis of what our government should provide: opportunity for economic growth. We provided universal education to the 12th grade and required mandatory education until age 16. This produced the most educated society upon the face of the earth and our economy became the greatest in the history of the world.
We provided a network of highways, second to none in the world, and it contributed to the greatest economy in the history of the world.
We regulated our vital networks such as railroads, electrical, banking, etc. to promote economic growth.

Now you want to cripple our higher education opportunities for our society and assurance of economic growth?
For what? Bravado? So that we can say "I did it all myself?" "I overcame extreme adversity and educated myself?"
That is extremely self-absorbed.

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Nov 2010 23:13 #72 by Pony Soldier
You're a puppet. Dance to their strings little puppet...

05 Nov 2010 23:52 #73 by Residenttroll returns

towermonkey wrote:

So your argument is that only the rich deserve an education? Sorry CG, but I'm about to force this discussion to the ring. This guy is an arrogant asshole.....!!!!!

Hey TM, speaking of meds, it appears the MMJ is relieving you of your cognitive ability instead of back pain. Did I argue that only the rich should get an education? Did I say discontinue the federally back loan program? Show me where I specifically said either of those statements.

Each year, the colleges and universities (sometimes with approval of the state legislature) set a price for tuition. The student goes to the "financial aid office" of their respective school and "applies" for a loan each year. The loan is sent to a clearinghouse of applications and is typically approved at the amount requested for tuition, books, and in some case, living costs. Coupled with the federally back student loans are pell grants for students to fall below a certain income level.

Here's my quesiton to you? Would you co-sign a loan for a friend or friend's friend who has no work experience, no job, and has never earned an amount over the cost of one year of tuition?

Today a student can't get a summer job or even a part time job to pay for tuition. The operational costs of the education system is the problem, it's not the ability to give student money. Again, go back and read my post. Without an efficient delivery model, today's universities are going to be deemed useless. In many cases, they already have been. The myth that a college education will get you a job has been debunked during this recession. There are thousands upon thousands of graduates who are saddled with federally back student loans with degrees they will NEVER use (unless they find a government job). There are thousands upon thousands of graduates who are saddled with federally back student loans with degrees and no jobs available and the forecast is bleak. But they continue to pay their student loan payments and will continue to pay them for decades.

Additionally, there are high school graduates who have absolutely no business going to college. They don't have the academic capability or aptitude. Since there is loan money available, they go, they party, they leave, the schools paid up, and the kid is out $10 - 20K. All the while, the university accepted him/her knowing he/she would never make it....but why do they care, they got paid thousands upon thousands for the student to come and party. They probably consider it profit center.

There is a better way, a lower cost, higher quality way of providing education - until the federally back student loan program is harnessed we will continue to see school tuitions rise and the taxpayers will continue to listen to libtards scream that the schools are not getting enough money. I submit the schools are getting plenty of money, they just need to become more efficient and feeding them cash doesn't make them efficient.

Food for thought, why do we need three major universities with duplicate programs within fifty miles of each other? Just asking.

06 Nov 2010 07:59 #74 by major bean

towermonkey wrote: You're a puppet. Dance to their strings little puppet...

Very compelling argument - name calling.
I'm impressed and will most likely change my thinking because of it.

Regards,
Major Bean

06 Nov 2010 08:36 #75 by LOL

Today a student can't get a summer job or even a part time job to pay for tuition. The operational costs of the education system is the problem, it's not the ability to give student money. Again, go back and read my post. Without an efficient delivery model, today's universities are going to be deemed useless. In many cases, they already have been. The myth that a college education will get you a job has been debunked during this recession. There are thousands upon thousands of graduates who are saddled with federally back student loans with degrees they will NEVER use (unless they find a government job). There are thousands upon thousands of graduates who are saddled with federally back student loans with degrees and no jobs available and the forecast is bleak. But they continue to pay their student loan payments and will continue to pay them for decades.

Additionally, there are high school graduates who have absolutely no business going to college. They don't have the academic capability or aptitude. Since there is loan money available, they go, they party, they leave, the schools paid up, and the kid is out $10 - 20K. All the while, the university accepted him/her knowing he/she would never make it....but why do they care, they got paid thousands upon thousands for the student to come and party. They probably consider it profit center.

There is a better way, a lower cost, higher quality way of providing education - until the federally back student loan program is harnessed we will continue to see school tuitions rise and the taxpayers will continue to listen to libtards scream that the schools are not getting enough money. I submit the schools are getting plenty of money, they just need to become more efficient and feeding them cash doesn't make them efficient.

Very well stated RT. Higher ed needs to be more cost efficient, and the people running the universities have no motivation to lower costs when they are unionized and fed with public funds and school loans. The federal school loan program is another Fanny/Freddie disaster in the making. The real reason the Feds took it over was so they could collect interest from the student loans to help fund Obama care.

College loans, housing bubble, health care reform are all very similar. Throw more money at an over priced system until it collapses. It ($$$$) only pushes prices higher.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

06 Nov 2010 10:08 #76 by LOL
http://finance.yahoo.com/college-educat ... ollegeprep

Today, however, Ms. Munna, a 26-year-old graduate of New York University, has nearly $100,000 in student loan debt from her four years in college

Meanwhile, universities like N.Y.U. enrolled students without asking many questions about whether they could afford a $50,000 annual tuition bill.

She recently received a raise and now makes $22 an hour working for a photographer. It's the highest salary she's earned since graduating with an interdisciplinary degree in religious and women's studies.

$100K in debt for a photography job?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

06 Nov 2010 10:55 #77 by major bean
Prospective students should investigate the earning power of the degree that they are considering. If they cannot do this then they are most probably not very intelligent and deserve the poverty that they create for themselves.

Regards,
Major Bean

06 Nov 2010 11:26 - 06 Nov 2010 11:41 #78 by Residenttroll returns
Law school graduates are angry about what they call a law school scam.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/l ... -are-angry

“The new math of legal education is grim reading for the large number of today’s law students and new lawyers earning less than they need to meet their loan payments,” Henderson wrote in a recent article. “Prospective law students need better information about the legal marketplace. Law school brochures are filled with glossy pictures of alumni at large law firms. Many law schools fail to provide the complete picture of what their graduates do and how much they earn.”

In August, Brian Tamanaha, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis wrote a wake-up call to his peer.
“Law professors know there is a problem,” Tamanaha said. “We see students. We know about the heavy debt burdens. I am just the guy who wrote about this one afternoon to prompt some collective conversation.”

Here's another good read:
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... y_the.html

I could on and on with a list of angry law grad students blogs - many are really funny. These young graduates believe they were duped by law schools and now hammered with six figure debt. The law school graduates are vocal because they have learned how to write and argue logically. Most undergrads probably don't have those abilities so they just make their monthly payments to Sallie Mae. As a political sideline, most of these students voted for Obama and swam the O wave. They are angry.

I know several recent graduate school grads and undergrads who are slammed packed with six figure student loans. They have no prospects of a job. They are using deferment for loan payments (dangerous because interest continues to tick tock).

They are in the mid twenties, educated, and they don't have any prospect of getting married or having children. Even with decent jobs, they can't afford them because of the student loan repayments for 10 years.

Have you ever wonder why many of the thirty under couples don't have children; but, have multiple dogs? They have need to nurture their maternal and paternal instincts and can afford to nurture dogs not children?

Student loan debt is one of the reasons there is a new generation of childless couples - again another way the government continues to undermine the nuclear traditional family with policies - intentionally or unintentionally.

Also, I could argue that there are many taxpaying middle income, middle aged parents who "did the right thing" and put their kids though college by using savings, home equity, or retirement monies, and woke up one morning recently to find they were involuntarily terminated.

Now with bleak job prospects and all their savings tapped, home equity gone, and retirement monies exhausted - they're bankrupt - some with one or two more children to send to college.

What do we tell our fellow consistent taxpayer? He/she has put thousands upon thousands into US Treasury, thousands upon thousands into college and universities, paid their own health insurance over the years, had great credit scores -and now they can't borrow squat.

In the meantime, libtards want to give illegals free or discounted college tuition.

Government is destroying the middle class at so many levels, directions, and positions - the middle wonders when the KY jelly is going to arrive in the mail.

06 Nov 2010 11:37 #79 by Batifa Zaxo
Replied by Batifa Zaxo on topic Like your lives are gonna change
We have no schools for adults, they must go far distance to learn. You americans are soft, and stupid. Obama has good education, fine lawyer and good family. He can help america with education. Do not understand why Mr. RT wants to take that away.

06 Nov 2010 11:49 #80 by Residenttroll returns

Batifa Zaxo wrote: We have no schools for adults, they must go far distance to learn. You americans are soft, and stupid. Obama has good education, fine lawyer and good family. He can help america with education. Do not understand why Mr. RT wants to take that away.

Batifa,

You are a poor respective of the kind and representative of the people from India and Pakistan. I have had the pleasure to work on projects with many Indians and Pakistanis, you my friend are neither. I have found many Indians and Pakistanis have good command of the written English language - speaking is whole different animal. They don't write the way they speak.

In India, they educate students. In America, we indoctrinate most students - educate a few. Big difference. Indians are no smarter than Americans. They have a better education foundation.

Unlike illegals Mexicans and South Americans, most Indians who have immigrated to America are the best of the best from India.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds