Like your lives are gonna change

06 Nov 2010 11:53 #81 by major bean

residenttroll wrote: Law school graduates are angry about what they call a law school scam.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/l ... -are-angry

It has been common knowledge for many decades that 80 percent of the graduates of law schools do not succeed as attorneys. They cannot make a decent income and leave the profession. This is nothing new and a minimum of investigation would reveal this to any student.

Those who go into any profession without investigating the prospects of making an income are deserving of their frustration, failure, and debt.

Why not become an electric typewriter engineer?

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2010 12:03 #82 by Residenttroll returns

major bean wrote:

residenttroll wrote: Law school graduates are angry about what they call a law school scam.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/l ... -are-angry

It has been common knowledge for many decades that 80 percent of the graduates of law schools do not succeed as attorneys. They cannot make a decent income and leave the profession. This is nothing new and a minimum of investigation would reveal this to any student.

Those who go into any profession without investigating the prospects of making an income are deserving of their frustration, failure, and debt.

Why not become an electric typewriter engineer?

Major Bean, your statement is mostly true. Law school students are claiming that law school have been inflating the employment data to show that a degree from their respective school increases their ability to get a law job. Big difference knowing you might not get a job and the law school marketing 98% of all grads receives a job upon graduation. The reality is the number is fabricated by a sophisticated formula. That's what many are discovering after the fact.

The university system has marketed itself well to employers. Banking on the distrust of a public school diploma has been created huge gains in employers requiring college graduates for jobs that otherwise don't need them. Employers only accepting only college graduates creates more demand for universities.

Shall we name a number of jobs that absolutely don't require a college education, but the employers do? I think many jobs need highly focused training, instruction and experience, not college diplomas.

06 Nov 2010 12:56 #83 by LadyJazzer
So, who would make that determination? Who would be responsible for telling a kid that wants to be an attorney, or a doctor, "Sorry, but we don't think you can make it, and the TeaBaggers don't want to spend the money on you, so you should enroll as an electric typewriter engineer-trainee instead?" Is that another "intrusion" of government that you are suddenly FOR?

06 Nov 2010 13:08 #84 by navycpo7

LadyJazzer wrote: So, who would make that determination? Who would be responsible for telling a kid that wants to be an attorney, or a doctor, "Sorry, but we don't think you can make it, and the TeaBaggers don't want to spend the money on you, so you should enroll as an electric typewriter engineer-trainee instead?" Is that another "intrusion" of government that you are suddenly FOR?

I would think that someone wanting to go into a specfic field, regardless of what it is, would do some research. Don't go to the schools that teach it, but go to companies that employ that field. Talk to those working in that field to make your choice. Schools are somewhat prejudice in the opinions and stories, talking to those that work in the field will give a somewhat more realistic idea of the job and its oppurtunities.

06 Nov 2010 13:11 #85 by outdoor338
LJ, plays right into the "Get it for free libbers handbook." Attack those in the tea party, and blame them for the fix we are in. Sorry windbag, or skippy, most of us worked extra jobs to stay in school. Hard work and ethics gets you places, not always handouts that the libs feel people should get. Maybe you should start a liberal education fund. Be resourceful instead of passing the buck, which you do so well.. oh, thanks for playing!

06 Nov 2010 13:14 #86 by LadyJazzer
But this thread didn't turn to the subject of wise career-choices... It got derailed by the usual 'Baggers complaining about Student Loan money shouldn't go to people that want educations... So, we can go off in another direction to deflect the stupidity of that argument--or we can stay with it.

06 Nov 2010 13:25 #87 by major bean

LadyJazzer wrote: So, who would make that determination? Who would be responsible for telling a kid that wants to be an attorney, or a doctor, "Sorry, but we don't think you can make it, and the TeaBaggers don't want to spend the money on you, so you should enroll as an electric typewriter engineer-trainee instead?" Is that another "intrusion" of government that you are suddenly FOR?

I thought that it was very plain that the student should self-regulate. Investigate his own future. Makes his own choice.
Who the hell brought government into the student making a stupid choice?
Can't you read?
I thought that you said that you were educated.

Regards,
Major Bean

06 Nov 2010 13:34 #88 by LadyJazzer
Oh, I'm just extrapolating your argument that government shouldn't provide student loans if the students are going to get an education in something that YOU think is a waste of student-loan money... You can take your personal insults and shove 'em up your nose.

06 Nov 2010 14:14 #89 by navycpo7
Someone wants to grow up and get a hellva education, join the military. My school was the United States Navy during a 20 year career. I would be willing to match my education and experience against anyone else's in my field. I would be willing to bet that the technical training I got along with leadership training and a few others is second to none.

06 Nov 2010 14:26 #90 by outdoor338
LJ, has no clue about hard work and getting a college education. So, LJ..did you get a loan from the Gov or at a bank for your education? You will not get into any medical college or law school with poor grades in High School. There are many ways to get funds for college without demanding that the gov give them to you. How many of these loans are never paid back?

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds