Just to set the record straight

06 Dec 2010 12:43 #41 by Local_Historian
Read that to mean:
"we should be happy shiny lalaland that never ever talks about or acknowledges anything bad or negative. So if we edited more, all we'd ever hear is about people's happy pets, what they ate for dinner, if it's gonna snow, or pictures of the area. And everyone would be happy without controversy of any kind."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Dec 2010 13:54 #42 by BearMtnHIB
The topic over on PC is now locked - for good I guess. I guess the mods thought that everything that needed to be said has been said.

So I'm going to post my opinion here in this thread, because I know it won't be locked - and my opinion and the time I spent giving it won't be deleted.

At one time - there were dozens of companies in this country making buggy whips. One by one the demand for buggy whips slowly declined - until there was only one company left making buggy whips. Even though they were a monopoly - that last company also saw their business slowly deminish, because buggy whips were on their way out all together.

This is what is happining to PC. The latest resignation letter is a big one I think - and the thread about it turned into a cryfest of "bye now - thanks for all your help" and the secondary drama of this web site or PC and who gives the money to who and for what.

I think the BOD at PC has skillfully diverted the subject - they have not addressed why the main technical support volunteer quit! Usually - in a corporation - the crap hits the fan when somthing as big as this happens. Heads roll.

"They have shown they are willing to bring those fine qualities to the table in the hopes of making Pinecam a safe, enjoyable, cyber place where we can visit with neighbors"

Some people enjoy coming here for the "safety" of it. They feel comfortable in knowing they can post here & won't be bashed, baited, taunted & bullied.
They really don't enjoy created chaos, vicious lashings and other toxic behavior.
Some people thrive in it.
So be it- that's ok-
there's enough bandwidth for everyone.

The above quotes were taken from a BOD member in that locked thread - it is basically the stance that the PC BOD has taken all along. What they are not realizing, is that the policy and attitude stated above in those quotes has created much of the problems they face today.

In their efforts to over moderate PC "in the hopes of making Pinecam a safe, enjoyable, cyber place where we can visit with neighbors" - they have indeed PISSED OFF A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE!!

All the people who were BANNED, DELETED, CENSORED, EDITED and just flat out harassed - are leaving. If they want to continue down the same road, don't expect anything to change. It will continue to errode - as it has, and nothing will be any different. They are losing one member at a time, sick of the crap for one reason or another.

What I don't hear them say in that thread --- is that we hear you! We hear you and we hear your concerns. We will be changing policy to stop the bleeding. We can have a section of the web site for "safety" - but we also need a part of the site where the community can debate without being harassed by the moderators. We need to stop censoring content - because discussion like tax topics are too important to just delete from the community.

They have not heard the message. I see no change in policy. In a company where the BOD were accountable to shareholders - heads would roll, the PC BOD are accountable to no-one, if they can't see the concerns of their own members.

One thing that I attempted to change, and failed at, was limiting the terms of board members, including myself. I believe that while having continuity is good, it also makes policies and bad feelings linger that could quietly expire as situations changed. Term limits were called for by Pinecam's own founder, Wayne Harrison, and rebuffed by the Board repeatedly over time. I also called for the resignation of the two longest-term members of the board whom I feel have alienated a number of the community (though they are well regarded by others).

New blood helps an organization thrive. I failed in this endeavor. My vote of no confidence was that they needed to resign, or I would. Apparently, they felt they were more necessary to the future of Pinecam than I. In the past, I've talked people into joining the Pinecam Board, and talked them OUT of LEAVING the Board (some successfully, some not). Now it's my turn to leave.

I want to emphasize one sentence.....

" I believe that while having continuity is good, it also makes policies and bad feelings linger that could quietly expire as situations changed"

And there you have it folks! The policy and bad feelings just linger - because they will refuse to change. And as the "situation changes" for PC, as they bleed themselves dry - were just glad we have THIS web site - because it is what Pinecam could be - and should strive to be, open and willing to accept everyone's opinion - without locking, editing, deleting, censoring, or moderating it.

The mods have gone overboard - trying to create a "a safe, enjoyable, cyber place where we can visit with neighbors". Now you see the mess you have created in the name of "safe and enjoyable" - it's not safe or enjoyable. Like someone else has stated so well - competition is what makes the free market thrive.

I can't debate any topics over there anymore. The nannies will delete it - censor it, edit it, moderate it until the discussion is worthless. That's why I just stick to "safe" stuff!

Thanks to 285bound for providing what PC is missing - a community website where important debate and discussion can take place.

And if you keep the open policy - it'll be THIS web site - that becomes the most popular, because as PC loses one member at a time, 285bound.com will be gaining one member at a time.

06 Dec 2010 14:25 #43 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Just to set the record straight
All of this complaining is akin to Walmart complaining about items Target has on sale.

PC has their methods / policies and many have disagreed with these for years. For $5 a month you can get your own hosting service and set up your own forum.... if you don't like PC or 285bound or any other site, then set up your own and quit complaining.

These little site wars are silly.

06 Dec 2010 14:29 #44 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Just to set the record straight

AVs Good Twin wrote: All of this complaining is akin to Walmart complaining about items Target has on sale.

PC has their methods / policies and many have disagreed with these for years. For $5 a month you can get your own hosting service and set up your own forum.... if you don't like PC or 285bound or any other site, then set up your own and quit complaining.

These little site wars are silly.

I disagree AV, these sites now define communities and we have a choice to be Stepford Village or want something better. I hope I am right and that it does matter what the community chooses.

06 Dec 2010 14:39 #45 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Just to set the record straight
JMC, forums are virtual communities without borders. Thus the standards set by PC or any other site doesn't mean they have defined a standard or law for a physical community or location. If PC were the managers of a physical location such a the Bailey zip code then people would have something to be upset about. Since it is a virtual community people are free to move between communities or belong to more than one community at a time.

The rules defined by one virtual community doesn't create a standard or rules for a physical community.

My 2 cents for the day, now I'm broke :)

06 Dec 2010 17:13 #46 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Just to set the record straight
Good post Bear, and a pretty accurate analysis, as usual for you.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

06 Dec 2010 17:18 #47 by HEARTLESS
Come on over PCers, the water is fine here.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

06 Dec 2010 17:50 #48 by Sunshine Girl

CinnamonGirl wrote: Well, uh....... I didn't sleep with any PC board members or anything. Or not that I can remember.

Didn't help me at all. lol :faint:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

06 Dec 2010 17:51 #49 by Sunshine Girl

Residenttroll wrote:

JMC wrote: I hate bringing up the same old. I will make this simple.

We are for profit ( as is PC) . We are honest about it and really try.
Our viewers matter.
We are business friendly, we want our business community ( paid or not ) to thrive.
We have as part of our mission to give back to the community
We will provide our volunteers a tangible part of any success

We want to provide opportunities for other communities to have the advantage of our and PC's experience.

I may be jerk sometimes but aren't we all. I have no commitment to be consistent, just the best i can be.
I will honestly answer any questions the gallery wants to present.

Open forum, Bring it on. any and all

Just remember...if you make over $ 250,000 in profits you will alienate half your audience. rofllol

By the way, I hope you make lots of money and quit apologizing for being a capitalist. :wave:

Amen!!!!!!!!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

06 Dec 2010 17:52 #50 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Just to set the record straight
:popcorn:

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds