VOTE on TUESDAY, MAY 3! CONIFER PARK & REC!

04 May 2011 08:36 #121 by BearMtnHIB
A big thanks to all who turned out and voted no yesterday- even LJ- who had the good sense to vote no.

You all er OK in my book- well- 56% of you are anyway. Now you can all get back to guttin yer deer and plowing yer snow and raisin' yer fat kids who have nothing to do up here.

I voted but my ballot was probably not counted- I own property in the proposed district where I intend to someday build a place to retire - a small place. They probably found a way to invalidate my vote- and many others I'm sure.

If this new tax district had passed- I would have put that property on the multi-list for sale and took whatever money I could get fir it and start looking for property further back in the hills- away from the threat of more "special districts". I want to be able to afford to retire.

Conifer is a special place- it's attraction would not improve with a Recreation Center. Thanks to all the people who still recognize this. The less we do to urbanize the area, the more value we will preserve for the future. In 20 years- this whole area will be highly prized - a semi-rural escape from a massive and overpopulated metropolitan city. People will be envious of us all- being able to access work a few minutes away in a dirty overcrowded city, and breathing clean air at night - waking up on the weekends in the pine trees!

The less we do - the more value will be preserved in the coming years.
In fact for people like me who are looking to keep my cost of living as low as possible for retirement- Places like this left (as much as possible) without the urbanization and all the problems associated with it ARE the attraction.

I could never understand the argument that the kids have nothing to do. I grew up in 1970's and 80's Evergreen and Conifer and we always had so much more to do for recreation than the kids in the city had. This was an awsome area to grow up in as a kid!

There has to be more park land around us here in west Jefferson County than just about anywhere else I know- between Denver Mountain Parks, Jeffco Open Space, State Park coming soon (Staunton State Park ), National Forest- with our rivers, creeks and lakes and hills. Only the families who are newbies around here and came from a highly urbanized area would fail to see this- and maybe they should move down the hill if they are looking for a community center- I'd like to recommend Highlands ranch.

If that's how you want your community to look- you moved to the wrong place- GET OUTA HERE!!

Evergreen has already gone down the road of urbanization- it's too late to stop this Rec District from it's ever expanding role in the community. Look at all the expansion that has taken place- and only a small percentage of the community ever uses all those facilities. The taxes I pay for them do not match the utilization of them.

Thanks for keeping Conifer a little more like what it should be - a great escape from the problems of a big city - and only a few minutes away from a big city.

We all benefit from yesterdays vote. Keep up the good work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2011 08:47 #122 by LadyJazzer
I'm already getting kind of teary-eyed thinking about that $70-80,000 that attorneys WON'T be getting paid for work already performed because this didn't go through... That's gotta hurt...

04 May 2011 09:06 #123 by cydl

LadyJazzer wrote: I'm already getting kind of teary-eyed thinking about that $70-80,000 that attorneys WON'T be getting paid for work already performed because this didn't go through... That's gotta hurt...

Poor babies! Maybe we should have a bake sale... :lol:

04 May 2011 09:21 #124 by daisypusher

BearMtnHIB wrote: A big thanks to all who turned out and voted no yesterday- even LJ- who had the good sense to vote no.

You all er OK in my book- well- 56% of you are anyway. Now you can all get back to guttin yer deer and plowing yer snow and raisin' yer fat kids who have nothing to do up here.

I voted but my ballot was probably not counted- I own property in the proposed district where I intend to someday build a place to retire - a small place. They probably found a way to invalidate my vote- and many others I'm sure.

If this new tax district had passed- I would have put that property on the multi-list for sale and took whatever money I could get fir it and start looking for property further back in the hills- away from the threat of more "special districts". I want to be able to afford to retire.

Conifer is a special place- it's attraction would not improve with a Recreation Center. Thanks to all the people who still recognize this. The less we do to urbanize the area, the more value we will preserve for the future. In 20 years- this whole area will be highly prized - a semi-rural escape from a massive and overpopulated metropolitan city. People will be envious of us all- being able to access work a few minutes away in a dirty overcrowded city, and breathing clean air at night - waking up on the weekends in the pine trees!

The less we do - the more value will be preserved in the coming years.
In fact for people like me who are looking to keep my cost of living as low as possible for retirement- Places like this left (as much as possible) without the urbanization and all the problems associated with it ARE the attraction.

I could never understand the argument that the kids have nothing to do. I grew up in 1970's and 80's Evergreen and Conifer and we always had so much more to do for recreation than the kids in the city had. This was an awsome area to grow up in as a kid!

There has to be more park land around us here in west Jefferson County than just about anywhere else I know- between Denver Mountain Parks, Jeffco Open Space, State Park coming soon (Staunton State Park ), National Forest- with our rivers, creeks and lakes and hills. Only the families who are newbies around here and came from a highly urbanized area would fail to see this- and maybe they should move down the hill if they are looking for a community center- I'd like to recommend Highlands ranch.

If that's how you want your community to look- you moved to the wrong place- GET OUTA HERE!!

Evergreen has already gone down the road of urbanization- it's too late to stop this Rec District from it's ever expanding role in the community. Look at all the expansion that has taken place- and only a small percentage of the community ever uses all those facilities. The taxes I pay for them do not match the utilization of them.

Thanks for keeping Conifer a little more like what it should be - a great escape from the problems of a big city - and only a few minutes away from a big city.

We all benefit from yesterdays vote. Keep up the good work.

:like: :yeahthat:

It is great to have diversity. If only people could respect others who like less developed areas.

04 May 2011 13:13 #125 by Local_Historian
Well said, Bear - that was our thought too moving back to the area, and to get the second child out of the city and into the country again, and it benefitted him greatly.

Maybe we'll retire in this home, maybe we won't, but at least for now its still an affordable place to live.

You'd be amazed at the support we got from throughout the country and the world even as I described the situation to my friends, and the upside down numbers - really, most of the money for administration? No one I spoke to would have voted for it on the numbers alone - and THAT is likely where they screwed themselves.

Well, now we wait - they'll be back, just like the ants every spring.

Daisy - indeed - but those people don't get it; they think everything, everywhere should be citified. Well, there's plenty of cities for them to move back to.

04 May 2011 19:46 #126 by NoNewTaxes
Thank you to all the people who supported and voted for me in this election, but even more so, thanks for voting NO!

Robert Baxter
FORMER candidate for the board!!!

04 May 2011 19:47 #127 by Residenttroll returns
They did it to the kids.

09 May 2011 10:12 #128 by BearMtnHIB
Don't forget to vote NO on tuesday!

Don't let those bastards raise our taxes!

Oh..... wait....

We got that done last week.

Good job, carry on then.

09 May 2011 11:58 #129 by Local_Historian
Hey Robert - did they ever release the numbers on who got the votes for the board? I'll admit to not reading the paper.

09 May 2011 12:29 #130 by LadyJazzer
The vote totals for the board candidates were:

Alison Thayer, 1032;
Kendra Hood, 948;
Debra Maxwell West, 889;
Bill Turner, 835;
Skip Shirlaw, 666;
Robert Baxter, 510
Ron Lewis, 358.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds