VOTE on TUESDAY, MAY 3! CONIFER PARK & REC!

22 Mar 2011 23:09 #71 by Residenttroll returns

Local_Historian wrote: LOL! What a strawman that was - because we have 2000+ kids in the area (we'll just assume your guess is correct) all of them must be obese? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now I'm vastly amused.

I'd rather kids were out int he woods, learning something, using their imiaginations and minds, and being in the fresh air, than cooped up in yet another structured part of their day because parents can't or won't parent.

It's sarcastic rhetoric. I am using the same arguments for the rec center as many use to fund education bonds. Instead of education, I am pleading based upon the health of children....we all know that many of the liberals would gladly spend other peoples money to save a kid from obesity, save a kid from hunger and give him/her a free meal at school, .etc etc etc....

So it's funny that most of the libs don't support the rec center.....yet, not a one complains about the PIF they pay when shopping in Conifer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Mar 2011 23:14 #72 by Local_Historian
Interesting you still see me as a lib when I'm all for letting Libya and the rest fight their own damn wars. Here I thought the libs were all save the world and everyone in it, just like this rec district crap is all "think of the childrens". Personally, I'm ready to support a FOAD attitude toward the rest of the world, including other people's families and their 'recreational" desires.

As for the PIF - like we have a choice. Point me out a location within 50 miles that doesn't have one and I'll shop there.

27 Mar 2011 18:39 #73 by Grady
Abby and I visited dog bark park at Beaver Ranch Saturday, She had a great time and met some new doggie firends. I would sure hate to see it go away.

05 Apr 2011 09:34 #74 by Grady
Just didn't want this to drop off the front page. Don't forget to vote no

13 Apr 2011 08:34 #75 by LadyJazzer
Update:

Ballot received around April 4th.... Filled out and enclosed in the special envelope which has to have voter's signature on the outside. I then took the special envelope, put it inside another envelope and sent it to "Sue Blair" @ Community Resource Services, 3855 Lewiston St., Suite 140, Aurora, CO 80011...CERTIFIED / Return-Receipt-Requested.

On Monday, April 11th, I received the Return Receipt card back, signed by Sue Blair.

Since THEY are counting the votes, and there's no way for an independent election-judge, poll-watcher, or County official to verify that every vote sent in gets counted, all I know is that the ballot was received. There is NO WAY to know if it actually got counted. Since they're playing fast-and-loose with this election, I have NO CONFIDENCE that all the votes will be counted.

18 Apr 2011 10:23 #76 by BearMtnHIB
I started to get together some information on the Evergreen Park and Recreation District to give people an idea of where your new Conifer Recreation district is going to want to take you. As many of you may know, I grew up in Evergreen and have watched this special district from the time it was a little sprout.

The Evergreen Park and Recreation district started with one stated purpose- to provide the “kids” in Evergreen with a swimming pool.

That “mission” has grown in intent far beyond what most of us in Evergreen ever envisioned. At the bottom of this post are projects that are currently “proposed” by the district so you can see that they have no intent to stop expanding the district- collecting more taxes- and doing what government does best- grow, grow, and grow some more.

The current mill levy for the Evergreen Park and Rec District is 6.9980 (2010). Just so you get an idea, we pay about 3.2 mills for Law Enforcement- so the Recreation district here costs us more than twice what we pay for Law Enforcement.

For me- this amounts to about $360.00/Year.

I’m too busy working to pay the taxes I’m forced into- to actually use any of the facilities- but I hear that the new Recreation Center in Hiwan is way cool. It’s our newest multi-million dollar facility.

Now you all may know that much of the money today is going to provide facilities and Concrete jogging trails in North Evergreen- in the Hiwan and Bergen Park area. That’s just so wonderful for the beautiful people who live up there- but in South Evergreen many of our roads are not even paved yet. I also have a problem with using our money to pave jogging trails the same way they do downtown Denver- it is out of character with our mountain community.

The formation of a new taxing authority is all they need to get started on the same road in Conifer. There’s only one reason to form a special tax district- and that is to tax. If you believe that this Rec District has no intention to tax you- you are woefully misinformed.

Evergreen’s district started out with the purpose of providing (1) one swimming pool.

Here is a breakdown of the facilities we NOW have in the district- and at the bottom are the projects they are currently proposing- and who the hell knows what they will be proposing tomorrow- but everyone would have to agree that this goes so far beyond (1) one swimming pool and the Conifer Recreation District will do the same.

In 30 years- we have gone from “one swimming pool” to this…..

Buchanan Park Recreation Center is a multi multi million dollar 33,000-square-foot building on 17 acres and includes:

> Climbing
The 41-foot rock-like freestanding pinnacle is located in the rotunda of the building. Sculptured and custom holds are embedded throughout the wall, and an overhang will challenge even the advanced climber. For updated climbing pricing and information please use the link to the right of the page.

> Aquatics
The "leisure" pool has a large and small slide, water fountains, two lap lanes, one of which is always available for lap swimming, a hot tub, a dry sauna, and the latest in water fitness, a "current" channel (vortex) where you exercise with and against the current. Our pool temperature averages 86-88 degrees and starts at a zero depth, perfect for the little ones, with the deepest area at 4 feet 6 inches. A private room and shared patio is available for private parties. If your child is 5 or under, a paid swimming adult (16 or older) must be in the pool with your child at all times. A child may not be left unattended in the pool area until their 8th birthday

Cardio / Weight / Fitness Area
Approximately 3,200 square feet, this area is filled with 24 pieces of cardio equipment including seven cross-trainers, three upright bikes, three recumbent bikes, seven treadmills, one ARC, two step mills and one Concept II rower. Mirrored walls and big windows surround the free weight area, plus a 16-piece Strive & Magnum circuit outlines the base of the climbing pinnacle. For updated Personal Weight Training pricing and information please use the link to the right of the page.

> Room Rentals
We have several areas available for rent. Let us help plan swimming and climbing parties, receptions, meetings or fund raisers. Non-Profits with a 501 (C)3 will receive a 50% price deduction.

Buchanan Park property includes: 2 multipurpose fields, playground, and the Buchanan ponds (fee required).

Wulf Recreation Center has a 45,000 square foot building on 6.2 acres and includes:
• 25-Yard six-lane pool
• Gymnastics gym
• Basketball/volleyball gym
• Weight/fitness facility
• 1 Handball/racquetball court
• Dance studio
• Playschool room
• 3 Meeting/class rooms

Wulf Recreation Center property includes:
• 4 Tennis courts
• 2 Sand volleyball courts
• 2 Playgrounds
• Skate park
• 1/4 Mile asphalt fitness trail

Evergreen Lake House Center is a 5,000-square-foot building on 55 acres and includes:
• Lodgepole pine log building
• Octagon room
• Great Room with large stone fireplace

Evergreen Lake Park includes:
• 40 Acre lake
• 1 Acre park with picnic tables and grills
• Wetlands
• Observation boardwalk
• 1.3 Mile long trail loop
• Paddle boats, canoes, fishing boats (for a fee) ($5/day for private boats starting last year)

Park Operations Building
• Located next to the District's Administrative Office, the building totals about 2,500 square feet, including 1,475 square feet in two vehicle bays and 1,025 square feet of office and storage space. The office space includes two staff offices, a kitchen/break room, two restrooms, and about 500 square feet of storage area.
• The building serves as the District's first vehicle maintenance facility where staff can work on vehicles inside and on a lift. The vehicle area includes a workbench and storage for parts and equipment.

Parkland Owned by the District (65.1 acres)

Buchanan Park Noble Meadow 20 acres playground equipment, 2 trout ponds, 2 ball fields

Buchanan Park Expansion Lutheran & Ogle 12.6 acres undeveloped land

Commodore Heights Mountain Park Home subdivision 3 acres undeveloped land

Graham Park West side of Bergen Valley Elementary 4.47 acres
Multipurpose grass field

Marshdale Park N. Turkey Creek Road 14 acres playground, 2 tennis courts, 2 multipurpose artificial turf fields

Stagecoach Park Stagecoach & Hwy 74 11 acres playground, 1 multipurpose grass field, 1 small ball field

Parkland Owned by Jefferson County Public Schools (7.9 acres in the District)

Ball Fields Owned by the District

Buchanan Park
1 baseball/softball (300 ft) adult softball, youth baseball,

West Jeff Girls Softball, Evergreen youth football, soccer
1 baseball/softball (240 ft)
or 1 baseball/softball (250 ft)
1 football (60 yards)

Graham Park
1 soccer (full size) youth soccer, youth lacrosse, youth football

Marshdale Park
2 synthetic turf soccer/lacrosse/football (full size) youth lacrosse, youth football, EPRD summer sports camps, youth fast-pitch softball/baseball

Stagecoach Park
1 lacrosse youth baseball, youth fast-pitch softball, youth lacrosse, youth soccer, youth football
1 baseball/softball (small)

Ball Fields Owned by Jefferson County Public Schools

Bergen Meadow Elementary
2 granite/sand complex; baseball/softball (250 ft) school sports & P.E., youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball, youth softball

Bergen Valley Elementary
1 soccer (mid size) school P.E., youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball, youth softball
1 baseball/softball (240 ft)

Buffalo Park
1 baseball/softball (275 ft) school sports & P.E., youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball, youth softball, EHS baseball & softball, youth football

Evergreen Middle School
1 soccer (1 full size or 3 sm) youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball, youth softball, youth football, school P.E.
1 baseball/softball (300 ft)
2 soccer practice (large)

Evergreen High School
1 baseball (325 feet) school sports & P.E., youth soccer, youth baseball, youth softball, youth football
1 football (100 yards)
1 soccer (full size)

Marshdale Elementary School
1 granite/sand complex; 2 soccer goals school PE & recess, youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball

Parmalee Elementary School
1 granite/sand infield with dirt outfield school PE & recess, youth baseball, youth soccer

Wilmot Elementary
1 soccer (1 mid or 3 small size) school P.E., youth soccer, EPRD softball, youth baseball, youth softball
2 granite/sand complex;
baseball/softball (210 ft)

Total of existing fields

Baseball/softball
10 250 feet or less
4 275 feet or more

Football/lacrosse
1 60 yards
3 100 yards

Soccer 12 small
6 full

Trails Owned by the District
1 *
Evergreen Lake to Bergen Park and Evergreen Lake Dam to Meadow Drive
2 **
Bergen Park to El Rancho
3 **
Evergreen Lake to Morrison and Evergreen Lake Dam to Episcopal Church
4 **
Evergreen Lake to Conifer & Cub Creek Park to Marshdale
5 **
Evergreen Lake to Conifer Bikeway along Highway 73
6 *
Dedisse to Alderfer Three Sisters
7 **
Evergreen Meadow to Marshdale School
8 **
East Stagecoach Road to Kittredge
9 **
Cub Creek Park to Maxwell Falls
10 **
Elephant Butte Access Loop Trail
11 **
Library to Recreation Center
12 **
Library to Brook Forest Road
13 **
Library to Evergreen Lake Dam
14 *
Meadow Drive to Highway 74
15 *
Bear Creek Trail

The ones with double asterisk are proposed trails.

So this is what you have to look forward to if the Conifer Rec District passes. No taxes? Your pretty funny!

Those taxes will be proposed year after year until the sun shines on their bright idea, even if it has been turned down by the voters 4 times- it only needs to pass once.

Don’t forget to vote against it again this year- the cost of keeping our cost of living as low as possible is eternal vigilance. Folks trying to get by in this bad economy and senior citizens don’t need to be hit with the coming taxes that this new “Special Tax District” will no doubt be proposing as soon as the district is formed.

This is my home- I intend to retire here and my biggest interest here is keeping my taxes and expenses reasonable enough so I can actually afford to live in my home town as I grow old. And if you think your kids really need a swimming pool or another ball park- first consider all of the other activities they could be doing in our awesome area.

If they still need a swimming pool- We have 2 of them just up the road here in Evergreen that 100% of us pay for - but 98% of the taxpayers never use- consider using them and all of the other facilities mentioned above since most of us living here in Evergreen do not use them.

Oh- don't forget to bring money because almost all of the facilities and services we have in Evergreen involve paying fees to use them - whether or not you live in the district.

Conifer will also charge fees for everything.

18 Apr 2011 19:49 #77 by daisypusher
And now you pay a boat launching fee to use the Evergreen Lake, not like the old days.

18 Apr 2011 20:25 #78 by Local_Historian
waiting for them to impose a fee (beyond a fishing license) on those who fish at the lake.

20 Apr 2011 12:37 #79 by BearMtnHIB

And now you pay a boat launching fee to use the Evergreen Lake, not like the old days.

That's right- I complained to every board member last year when this new fee was initiated. The excuses for starting the new fee were outragous- and included checking boats for zebra mussles- somthing I did not see them do even once last summer.

The other excuse was to provide security checks- I have also not see them do this even once last summer.

But they do charge the new fee. They have raised every fee they could think of to squeeze more money out of us - now charging for things that we assumed were paid for with our tax money- like the use of Evergreen lake.

21 Apr 2011 00:50 #80 by rguerette

Grady wrote: Abby and I visited dog bark park at Beaver Ranch Saturday, She had a great time and met some new doggie firends. I would sure hate to see it go away.

Why would that go away? Haven't seen anything that said that. If anything it would probably be enhanced.

Oh, you've seen the opponents say this group is taking over Beaver Ranch right? Not the case. BUT, legally, that is in the contract between BR and Jeffco that they could if they wanted to, if formed. But I don't think they would because it's just not the right location...IMHO. Worst case, it could benefit and get money to enhance/en-large the dog bark-park...kind of small now as it is.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds