greenhouse fans

05 Apr 2011 17:09 #21 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
I have tons of alpaca poop if anyone needs some. :Whistle

I had cold frames for a while last year. They had the hinged covers and all. Then everything got too big and the covers had to come off. Then they got enclosed with hardware cloth to keep the little critters out. Then they turned into a hoophouse. (I picked tomatoes, snow peas, spinach, onions, chives,dill, radishes, and rosemary until October last year)

This year the garlic is about a foot tall, the chives are coming back, the rosemary survived the winter, and who know what else reseeded itself. I plan to get out there this coming weekend and plant something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Apr 2011 17:11 #22 by RY
Replied by RY on topic greenhouse fans

pacamom wrote: I have tons of alpaca poop if anyone needs some. :Whistle

I had cold frames for a while last year. They had the hinged covers and all. Then everything got too big and the covers had to come off. Then they got enclosed with hardware cloth to keep the little critters out. Then they turned into a hoophouse. (I picked tomatoes, snow peas, spinach, onions, chives,dill, radishes, and rosemary until October last year)

This year the garlic is about a foot tall, the chives are coming back, the rosemary survived the winter, and who know what else reseeded itself. I plan to get out there this coming weekend and plant something.

I would love some pacamom, do you deliver? I don't have a truck.

05 Apr 2011 17:12 #23 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
Cool. thanks for sharing. Papa and i built a greenhouse last year and we didn't raise our beds. Didn't get too much. this year papa built the raised beds and we are waiting for our Gurney's order to come in. My mom and grandma could sure put out one heck of a garden but they were down in town where the growing season seems to be so different. I did plant some horseradish in the ground along our fence line and i'm hoping this year i can dig some of it. thanks again.. :biggrin:

28 Apr 2011 17:10 #24 by RY
started planting the second green house today after harvesting Mesclun lettuce, arrugula, chives, rosemary from the first one already.

Pictures are on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... 544409fdeb

03 May 2011 23:23 #25 by RHT08
Replied by RHT08 on topic greenhouse fans

MamaRama wrote: Cool. thanks for sharing. Papa and i built a greenhouse last year and we didn't raise our beds. Didn't get too much. this year papa built the raised beds and we are waiting for our Gurney's order to come in. My mom and grandma could sure put out one heck of a garden but they were down in town where the growing season seems to be so different. I did plant some horseradish in the ground along our fence line and i'm hoping this year i can dig some of it. thanks again.. :biggrin:

Sure wish PAPA would help me build a greenhouse!!!

11 May 2011 15:56 #26 by RY
so I got about a foot of snow, had to put my mukluks on to get to the greenhouse to pick my lettuce for dinner - a different world inside, green little jungle, 80 degrees...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1025951550 (hope the link to the pics works)

11 May 2011 18:02 #27 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic greenhouse fans
We've just set up our greenhouse this year. It's inside the house, so once we are up and running we ought to have veggies and flowers year round. Our novel addition is a 150 gal watering rough, lower half filled with Styrofoam, a thin layer of gravel and topsoil on top of it.

One thing some of you may wish to consider if you have the room, is adding such a trough to your greenhouse full of water. It will help moderate temperature fluctuations, especially if placed along the north side of the greenhouse.

11 May 2011 18:39 #28 by RY

Rockdoc Franz wrote: We've just set up our greenhouse this year. It's inside the house, so once we are up and running we ought to have veggies and flowers year round. Our novel addition is a 150 gal watering rough, lower half filled with Styrofoam, a thin layer of gravel and topsoil on top of it.

One thing some of you may wish to consider if you have the room, is adding such a trough to your greenhouse full of water. It will help moderate temperature fluctuations, especially if placed along the north side of the greenhouse.

I wish I had the space Franz, I have several watering cans in the greenhouse, the water in there gets warm enough during the day that you coudl take a comfortable shower with it; I may just add smaller buckets and put them on shelves. Keep us posted on your greenhouse progress :sunshine:

12 May 2011 11:02 #29 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
Has anyone planted Elderberry bushes/trees in the yard and if so did you have any luck and also how hardy are they?? Any info would be great!!

12 May 2011 12:09 #30 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic greenhouse fans
I've never seen elderberry bushes up here. They did well in upstate NY where the average temperature is very similar to those here, Ecologically speaking, temperature, water and length of day have a major influence. If we consider that, then the only significant difference I see that would prevent Elderberry bushes from thriving up here is water. NY get's significantly more rain than does this area of Colorado. I'd guess that if you were to water them religiously, Elderberry bushes should grow up here.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds