greenhouse fans

12 May 2011 12:49 #31 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
THANKS Rockdoc!! Much appreciated. It sounds like you've got quite the set up at your place... Were getting ready to run electric to our greenhouse and put in fans and a thermostatically controled heater. Hoping for the best is all we can do..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2011 19:25 #32 by MamaRama
The elderberry plants/bushes are STILL alive!!! Don't know if I'll ever get berry's but the green in the yard looks nice. Nanking cherry bush's are doing great along with the chokecherry bushs..

24 Jun 2011 22:38 #33 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
I can't deliver paca poop as the truck I would use doesn't run right now, and I'm not putting it in my car.

My asparagus is finally coming up. I planted it in the 'upper garden' two days before we got all that snow.

The greenhouse attached to the house had flowers all winter. Geraniums and snapdragons that I brought from outside. It has double cinder block low walls and double windows. The floor is a layer of sand, then two inch styrofoam with patio blocks on top of that. It has two 55 gallon water barrels that help to modulate the temp and also has a propane infrared heater for the cold winter nights. It's built against the side of the house with a window into the house that will someday be a door.

The hoop house isn't heated but has greenhouse film as the covering and an overhead watering system. Last year we used soaker hose, but I prefer the overhead watering.
Everything is growing. We got a late start so haven't harvested anything yet.

If anyone wants paca poo come and get it. Or if you can help royal yoga out that's ok too.

25 Jun 2011 09:34 #34 by noneya BIZ
Replied by noneya BIZ on topic greenhouse fans
pacamom do you use your hoop house year round with no heat??

25 Jun 2011 10:29 #35 by pacamom
Well sort of. I planted garlic last year and really covered it with hay. It grew all winter. (I even watered it a few times). IT is now about 2 feet tall and the stalks about about 2 inches in diameter. (elephant garlic) and some regular.

I thought the rosemary survived, but it didn't.

We picked vegies last year until October.

08 Jul 2011 13:35 #36 by MamaRama
Can anyone tell me what it means "when radishes bolt"?

25 Jul 2011 10:37 #37 by MamaRama
Are any of you GREENHOUSE gardners using a misting system and if so do you like it??

25 Jul 2011 19:42 #38 by pacamom
I use a misting system. I love it. We have four or five 360 degree misters that are able to cover the whole hoop house. Hook up the hose and let the misters do their thing. It is more like a gentle rain.

26 Jul 2011 10:03 #39 by MamaRama
Hey pacamom THANKS!! How often and for what duration do you use your misters? Also where do you purchase them at?

26 Jul 2011 14:36 #40 by pacamom
I bought the first kit at Ace Hardware, then some more parts at a garden store in Evergreen that went out of business. But I am sure that Ace has all the different misters and the regulator.

I water about every other day. It get really hot in the hoop house, and it never gets any natural moisture.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds