greenhouse fans

26 May 2010 12:37 #1 by RY
greenhouse fans was created by RY
just wondering if any of the PC greenhouse fans joined this forum/site. Would be nice to exchange experiences. My first batch of Mesclun, Arrugula and mixed greens is almost ready to harvest in the coldframe and bok choy, kale etc which i planted only less than a week ago is sprouting in the greenhouse already. But my green beans (in the ground for almost 1 month now) haven't sprouted yet. I hope they'll still coming up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 May 2010 12:51 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic greenhouse fans
I was thinking exhaust fans when I clicked on this. Mine is starting to act up.

We've had flowers for two months now and our tomato plants are about 8 inches tall. We've already been through our first sugar snap pea plants and are starting new ones.

Carry on.

26 May 2010 13:13 #3 by PhoneGeek
Replied by PhoneGeek on topic greenhouse fans
I planted my coldframe at the end of April, everything is up about 2 inches. Variety of lettuce/spinage/radishes/onions/herbs. Can't wait until the salad stuff is ready.

26 May 2010 13:41 #4 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
I've posted pictures of the greenhouse elsewhere. The beans got heat stroke, but everything else is doing well.

The tomatoes (over a foot tall now), zuchini (flowering), cucumbers (flowering), other beans, basil, chives, peppers are all starting to come along well.

The calendulas have been transplanted and are flowering. The onions are either 6 inches or 2 inches depending on what bed they are in, and the potatoes planted in garbage bags have sprouted finally.

26 May 2010 14:59 #5 by RY
Replied by RY on topic greenhouse fans

pacamom wrote: I've posted pictures of the greenhouse elsewhere. The beans got heat stroke, but everything else is doing well.

The tomatoes (over a foot tall now), zuchini (flowering), cucumbers (flowering), other beans, basil, chives, peppers are all starting to come along well.

The calendulas have been transplanted and are flowering. The onions are either 6 inches or 2 inches depending on what bed they are in, and the potatoes planted in garbage bags have sprouted finally.

I saw your pics earlier (I think it was still on PC), awesome. next year I can start earlier, but we only built the coldframe the beginning of May and the greenhouse came last week.

26 May 2010 15:01 #6 by RY

WayneHarrison wrote: I was thinking exhaust fans when I clicked on this. Mine is starting to act up.

We've had flowers for two months now and our tomato plants are about 8 inches tall. We've already been through our first sugar snap pea plants and are starting new ones.

Carry on.

I never thought it could get that hot in a greenhouse, need to have the little window open and crack the door. Its especially nice working in it when its so windy outside, I love it. How long did you have yours?

26 May 2010 15:39 #7 by pacamom
Yoga,
I have never posted pix of my greenhouse anywhere but here and FB. You do have to be careful regarding heat. It was getting over 100 degrees easily. But now it is covered with shadecloth and that keeps it cooler while letting the good rays thru. Same for the coldframes with clear glass.

The roof of the greenhouse will be replaced with lexan soon.

26 May 2010 16:11 #8 by RY

pacamom wrote: Yoga,
I have never posted pix of my greenhouse anywhere but here and FB. You do have to be careful regarding heat. It was getting over 100 degrees easily. But now it is covered with shadecloth and that keeps it cooler while letting the good rays thru. Same for the coldframes with clear glass.

The roof of the greenhouse will be replaced with lexan soon.

pacamom, it must have been here then. I got some aluminum shade cloth w the greenhouse that helps a lot, but i still have to open the window and door when it sunny. its ok though, gives me a reason to go outside and check on the progress :)

26 May 2010 20:09 #9 by pacamom
Nothing better than checking out the growing things in the greenhouse. I have a small pond (half wine barrel with a liner) with a lily and 5 gold fish in mine also. And sometimes a cat. :kitty:

26 May 2010 21:00 #10 by PhoneGeek
Replied by PhoneGeek on topic greenhouse fans
I've never had luck with cucumbers in my cold frame, any suggestions?

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds