greenhouse fans

11 Jun 2012 20:24 #61 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
I planted the garlic last October, but I don't know when. It has been growing all winter. Mulched with a bunch of old hay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2012 05:42 #62 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
RoyalYoga I tried last year what they call "YELLOW CAULIFLOWER" and actually didn't do to bad and yes i have it in a greenhouse. I did try it again this year and there again have my fingers crossed. the Purple Pole Beans are GREAT!!! My Mom used to grow them and we picked and picked and ate and ate till we about exploded. She did live in town and grew hers up on the garden fence ours are in the greenhouse there again and the Papa has built trellis's for them to grow up on. We do the same thing with our Zuch's and Tomaotes so they stay and climb... Seems to work which is what counts..

12 Jun 2012 05:46 #63 by MamaRama
Maybe someone can help. i planted Horseradish last year along my fence line in the back with the understanding that it can REALLY take off/over and grow like crazy, however mine just seems to be sitting there waiting for the fawns to eat the leaves. Any suggestions on how to "kick it up"?

12 Jun 2012 12:39 #64 by RY
Replied by RY on topic greenhouse fans
pacamom - I have to try the fall planting, I always do it in the spring, maybe that is why the garlic never grew.
MamaRama - I planted cauliflower this year that has a light green color, I am curious if it grows.

I also am trying something "exotic" by planting ginger root. I saw this link http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html and it seems to be doable in the greenhouse and maybe bringing it into the house over the winter.

I also planted for the first time celery root, as I love celery root salad. It grows VERY slow though, not sure if it will make it to maturity...

14 Jun 2012 01:47 #65 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic greenhouse fans

Royal Yoga wrote: SC, my asparagus didn't start producing until the second year, it is supposed to get better every year! Do you grown corn where you live? it should grow well in the heat of the city. mine is in the greenhouse too, the one I planted outside froze when we had that cold spell a few weeks ago.

I'm still waiting for any of my asparagus to pop up at all. :( Does it hibernate completely the first year? I thought it would come up and go to seed? Back at my parents house, our asparagus plot was well-established and we never had to do anything to it to get them to grow so starting one from scratch is daunting, especially in this climate.

No, I don't do corn, only because I have limited space (8' x 25' roughly) and you don't get much off of one plant (I'd rather have a row of peas or several tomato plants and get several edible items from one plant).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jun 2012 09:59 #66 by RY

Science Chic wrote:

Royal Yoga wrote: SC, my asparagus didn't start producing until the second year, it is supposed to get better every year! Do you grown corn where you live? it should grow well in the heat of the city. mine is in the greenhouse too, the one I planted outside froze when we had that cold spell a few weeks ago.

I'm still waiting for any of my asparagus to pop up at all. :( Does it hibernate completely the first year? I thought it would come up and go to seed? Back at my parents house, our asparagus plot was well-established and we never had to do anything to it to get them to grow so starting one from scratch is daunting, especially in this climate.

No, I don't do corn, only because I have limited space (8' x 25' roughly) and you don't get much off of one plant (I'd rather have a row of peas or several tomato plants and get several edible items from one plant).

SC, the first year it just the feathery leaves. then of course over the winter it all died of (even in the greenhouse). I totally forgot about it and actually put a large black water container on top of it to keep the temps moderate during the spring. Then I remembered the asparagus, removed the container and a few days later the shoots appeared. I guess the container kept it warm and I removed it right in time. You have to also scoop soil up and around it.

I have some corn on the inside and outside walls of the greenhouse, it keeps is a little more shady. Amazing the difference in size between in and out - inside about 2-3 feet tall, outside about 8 inches...

18 Jun 2012 10:45 #67 by MamaRama
Well I'm excited and quite proud to say that after all of the slash was out of the way I had time to get to the greenhouse. I picked 6 nice sized radishes, got a nice mess of lettuce and was happy to see that the tomatoes are putting on some blooms!!! Go greenhouse, you make me sooo happy!!! :)

19 Jun 2012 19:49 #68 by RY
:like:

MamaRama wrote: Well I'm excited and quite proud to say that after all of the slash was out of the way I had time to get to the greenhouse. I picked 6 nice sized radishes, got a nice mess of lettuce and was happy to see that the tomatoes are putting on some blooms!!! Go greenhouse, you make me sooo happy!!! :)

:like: I know what you mean MR, it makes me happy when I discover things in the greenhouse that i don't even remember having planted..

19 Jun 2012 19:52 #69 by RY
what my little paradise looks like right now:

http://www.royalyogabailey.com/organic-gardening.html

20 Jun 2012 17:25 #70 by MamaRama
OH How WONDERFUL!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds