greenhouse fans

11 Jun 2012 16:46 #51 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
Well it's June and this THREAD should be hopping, did nobody plant this year??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2012 16:54 #52 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic greenhouse fans
My garden is still on the fence. I got everything in late, and I'm trying some new things so I have no idea how they will turn out. I've gotten 2 tomatoes so far, and my mixed greens are poking through nicely.

First time: spinach, cantaloupe, walla walla onions, and a new variety of zucchini (can't remember what right now). The dill that came up around my fountain I tried to transplant and I'm afraid that was a bad idea. Luckily, I've got others - we'll need lots.

My strawberries came and went already, and my raspberries are teasing me they are so abundant! No asparagus that I tried for the 1st time last year, but my chocolate mint is threatening to take over the flower bed it's in (as expected). If anyone wants some of that, I'm happy to share!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Jun 2012 17:07 #53 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
The garlic I planted last fall is about 2 feet tall now. I have 5 different varieties planted. The chives are in full bloom.
Snow peas are coming up in the strangest places (seeds from last year I guess, but I have them in every bed. The thyme came back also. I have a few tomato plants coming up from last year also.

I direct seeded into the garden (hoophouse) this year really late, but I have two different types of radishes, snow peas, 3 varieties of bush beans, cucumbers and zucchini (round), lettuce, and two different types of spinach all coming up nicely. The tomatoes that I started indoors are doing very well. (5 or 6 different kinds this year. I think)

The outside garden has asparagus (not ready for cutting this year, but hopefully next year), strawberries, raspberries, mint, a few leftover onions, iris and daylilies all taking over each others space. Oh, and the rhubarb appears to have survived- why do I have rhubarb?

And it seems that I can grow fish also.

11 Jun 2012 17:31 #54 by RY
Replied by RY on topic greenhouse fans
mint never grew for me for some reason SC, but I harvested my first green asparagus about 4 weeks ago (in the greenhouse), never knew what asparagus REALLY tastes like !!! I have the most wonderful oak leaf lettuce, different varieties of kale that is 2 feet tall and I keep snipping leaves for my famous green juice (russian, curly, dinosaur), the spinach has all been eaten, arrugula -second round, this year I have the best dill ever, also about 2 feet tall. Radishes were nice and juicy and big, but starting to get woodsy now. Tasty cilantro, tons of chives, green bush beans will be ready to eat in about 1 week is my guess. And then there is an almond tree growing in the greenhouse, no idea where it came from, must have been an almond in the compost somewhere... the wine is only about 10 inches tall, not sure it it ever grows any bigger. The basil has beautiful big leaves and when the greenhouse warms up the scent is so delicious!!! Mesclun didn't turn out well this year for some reason, but the beets are nice, harvested the first one a few days ago. I also planted multi colored carrots, they need a few more weeks though.

I have never been lucky with strawberries for some reason, in the greenhouse they rot and outside the chipmunk eats them - oh well...

Cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers are on target for harvest probably mid to late July. I tried melons this year, but they are still very small.

Sowed lavender and chamomile last week and I really recommend the book "In tune with the moon" http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Moon-2012-Da ... +moon+2012 a great book that explains when to plant what (roots, fruit, leaves, flowers). I am seeing a big difference in my plants this year since I am using it.

11 Jun 2012 18:37 #55 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic greenhouse fans
Okay, it must be dinner time, or your post has the most delicious sounding stuff RY - 'cause my mouth is watering right now! lol

paca, I am jealous of your garlic. Maybe I'll try that next year where my asparagus didn't come up?
Fish?????

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Jun 2012 19:05 #56 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic greenhouse fans
Garlic - the door in the back is about three ft high.

Fish. The little 2 inch goldfish are about 10 inches each. Just about eating size. :biggrin: Maybe you can think of a good recipe for goldfish? For the food thread. Oh and the thyme came back, and I planted sweet basil and rosemary. That I got down the hill at 1/2 price.

11 Jun 2012 19:27 #57 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic greenhouse fans
See i knew ya'll wanted to share your GARDEN/GREENHOUSE happiness. I just picked our 1st. radish...and last nite for dinner we had lettuce (mesclin?) Kale is looking really good and swiss chard will be ready for it's 1st. picking this next week.. Red onions should be (small) but tasty in next weeks picking. Cauliflower is iffy at this point but my PURPLE POLE BEANS have gone nuts. Just got the tomato plants in and have my fingers crossed. Chives have really gone crazy along with the cilantro. this year I planted (in barrels) rosemary, pineapple sage, and basil, all doing really well.. thanks for sharing and letting me brag too.....

11 Jun 2012 20:04 #58 by RY

pacamom wrote: Garlic - the door in the back is about three ft high.

Fish. The little 2 inch goldfish are about 10 inches each. Just about eating size. :biggrin: Maybe you can think of a good recipe for goldfish? For the food thread. Oh and the thyme came back, and I planted sweet basil and rosemary. That I got down the hill at 1/2 price.

wow, that looks like a lot of garlic. I planted about 5 and only one came up. But that was before I applied the "moon phases", I may try again when in a root zone which seems to be the 18th and 19th.

11 Jun 2012 20:05 #59 by RY

MamaRama wrote: See i knew ya'll wanted to share your GARDEN/GREENHOUSE happiness. I just picked our 1st. radish...and last nite for dinner we had lettuce (mesclin?) Kale is looking really good and swiss chard will be ready for it's 1st. picking this next week.. Red onions should be (small) but tasty in next weeks picking. Cauliflower is iffy at this point but my PURPLE POLE BEANS have gone nuts. Just got the tomato plants in and have my fingers crossed. Chives have really gone crazy along with the cilantro. this year I planted (in barrels) rosemary, pineapple sage, and basil, all doing really well.. thanks for sharing and letting me brag too.....

I just planted cauliflower, we'll see how it goes, never tried that before. Purple beans sounds yummy. Are you keeping them in the greenhouse? thanks for reviving the thread!!! I am excited to hear all the successes :) in gardening.

11 Jun 2012 20:07 #60 by RY

Science Chic wrote: Okay, it must be dinner time, or your post has the most delicious sounding stuff RY - 'cause my mouth is watering right now! lol

paca, I am jealous of your garlic. Maybe I'll try that next year where my asparagus didn't come up?
Fish?????

SC, my asparagus didn't start producing until the second year, it is supposed to get better every year! Do you grown corn where you live? it should grow well in the heat of the city. mine is in the greenhouse too, the one I planted outside froze when we had that cold spell a few weeks ago.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds