sadness

07 Jan 2011 22:12 #11 by freebird
Replied by freebird on topic sadness
I can understand the concern expressed by some over whether or not the choice made was necessary. I do volunteer there and know the staff and how difficult this decision was. It is very different trying to deal with this airborne disease in a smaller space like the shelter. It is very sad to know what happened last night.

I prefer to find ways to prevent that from happening in the future, at IMHS or any of our nearby animal shelters. One option was cited in the above post. Another way we can help is to foster a cat or dog while they are waiting to be found by their adopting family. This will help reduce the number of animals in the small shelter building. Besides keeping them better socialized and less stressed, it might just keep them safe from a possible sick animal being brought to the shelter. It's amazing how it could benefit the fostering family, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jan 2011 23:14 #12 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic sadness
Very sad story, especially for a no-kill shelter. But as a no-kill shelter, sometimes they do not have a choice.
They have so many things to deal with. They do a good job, in an inadequate space.

Why do people continue to recommend IMHS for their unwanted 11 year old animal? Your aninmal may have brought the infection into the shelter.

My understanding is that IMHS brings in vet checked animals that are from kill shelters. Mistakes can be made. Trying to find them homes or fosters. A dormant disease is exactly that,dormant They do great work at IMHS.

My horse had ringworm, and was isolated from all other animals. It took months, with daily treatments, to clear it up. I did not know it was airborne. Rubber gloves were needed.

If you need help with the sanitizing please PM me.

I appreciate all IMHS does,and wish you all courage,through all you have to go through. You guys rock!

08 Jan 2011 00:42 #13 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic sadness
I've been in the facility, and they often have a great number of animals in a rather small space, especially cats. The smaller the mammal, the harder it is to treat, and with the sheer number that were affected, it would likely have been prohibitive financially to try to treat all those animals. They also have to abide by health department rules, and may not have been able to adopt out any of those cats even after treatment.

Let's face the facts. they are often short on funds, short on supplies, short on volunteers, just like every other shelter in the country. They made the best decision for the rest of the animals, and for the community. Think of what would have happened if even one human came up with ringworm because someone got a cat from there that had it. The shelter could have been shut down permanently.

They made the best decision for the community, within their small budget. Now they'll be able to continue to serve our community instead of having to shut down permanently.

08 Jan 2011 03:05 #14 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic sadness
If they were short on funds they should have asked for help before making a decision. If you can't do the job correctly it is better to let others handle it. You don't want to make difficult situations worse. Once again, why make this sort of decision and make a post like this AFTER the fact?

285Bound.com has asked IMHS many, many times to help them and they did not respond. In this business you have to do your job right. It is just too important. I understand the issue they face, I am just saying, ask for help. From what I have seen, this community wants to and we wanted to and got no response. I know intentions are honorable but the implementation is not working and this is too important to let happen.

To quote the first article-The Toronto Humane Society also weighed in on the issue, saying the OSPCA is taking “the easy solution rather than working to save animals’ lives.

And to quote the second one.- “A mild, non-threatening fungal infection should never be a death sentence for little kittens,” said Kylie Belachaikovsky, LCAS volunteer and community outreach coordinator, “However, this is a community problem that is going to require a community solution.”

Sorry I am not going to make excuses for it. Let the community help!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1564978/
http://www.myeugene.org/2010/08/07/loca ... -for-help/

08 Jan 2011 05:42 #15 by walktrot
Replied by walktrot on topic sadness
CinnamonGirl, Then get in there and volunteer, maybe volunteer to run the whole show. You simply do not appear to be able to grasp the, 'time is of the essence' factor along with everything else pointed out in this thread.
Wish you were this upset/outraged over the approximately 11,000 dogs and cats euthanized each and every day in this country, mainly because of over breeding. You'd be good on a committee to push legislation through to control over breeding.

Reach out to the community? Run a poll here and on Pinecam asking if people would have stepped up to foster a cat that may be infected with ringworm. Be sure to mention that all humans as well as all animals in the household and on the property may likely also develop ringworm unless very stringent guidelines are followed.
I'll vote now...NO....I am older and will not risk my health, I have 2 older dogs and 2 middle aged dogs, I will not risk their health either, AND I do not have the finances to pay for the unnecessary vet bills.

This really seems to bother you beyond belief, call IMHS and schedule a meeting with the vet to have the situation explained to you from the IMHS side of this issue. You can then present your ideas on an alternative solutions. This is not the only time IMHS will face a crisis, your input could be valuable.
IMHS is not the only shelter that has done something like this, the others just kept it hush hush.

08 Jan 2011 08:14 #16 by CinnamonGirl
What's up-- Going to say again. I believe intentions are honorable. I also believe wholeheartetly that if they had posted about this before the fact offers would have poured in. We know many people that would have helped and felt helpless to find out after the fact.

285Bound.com has asked IMHS many, many times to help them and they did not respond.

08 Jan 2011 11:37 #17 by walktrot
CG..Going to say it again. Run a poll....show up and volunteer. Put up or.........

08 Jan 2011 11:42 #18 by CinnamonGirl
We did put up we can't help someone that doesn't want it. If the community is okay with these animals being put down then I guess there is nothing we can do. If they do not want help from anyone then there you go. Watch for our new animal and pet page coming this weekend.

We are committed to helping the non profits that want it.

I am now shutting up.

08 Jan 2011 15:02 #19 by walktrot

CinnamonGirl wrote: We did put up we can't help someone that doesn't want it. If the community is okay with these animals being put down then I guess there is nothing we can do. If they do not want help from anyone then there you go. Watch for our new animal and pet page coming this weekend.

We are committed to helping the non profits that want it.

I am now shutting up.

How did you "put up"? What did you attempt to do/offer and how was it done?

08 Jan 2011 18:04 #20 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic sadness
I agree, there are several organizations that would have helped had they known about this situation before 23 cats were put to death. These cats were waiting to be adopted and have forever living homes. As for the veterinarian that took part in this I wonder about ethics and if any of those that made this decesion really care about the cats.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds