sadness

08 Jan 2011 18:11 #21 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic sadness

Whats Up wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: We did put up we can't help someone that doesn't want it. If the community is okay with these animals being put down then I guess there is nothing we can do. If they do not want help from anyone then there you go. Watch for our new animal and pet page coming this weekend.

We are committed to helping the non profits that want it.

I am now shutting up.

How did you "put up"? What did you attempt to do/offer and how was it done?

For months we have contacted IMHS to help with money and posting on this forum. We had to give up because they never contacted us back. I told you if this community is fine with what happened then I will shut up. And I guarantee you had we known before it happened this site would have given a ton. Can't help someone that does not want it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2011 18:19 #22 by freebird
Replied by freebird on topic sadness
I know this thread and topic (IMHS actions) is emotionally charged. I understand those questioning why a plea for help wasn't broadcast beforehand. I wonder if the people quoted in CG's earlier post are speaking about a smaller shelter like ours or a larger one with more room to place each infected animal in an isolation place. I also think it is healthy for people to question things and not just accept.

It has already happened and now I think it is important to assess how we might be able to prevent something like this from happening in the future. Instead of tearing down the organization, let's try to learn from the past and find ways to improve in the future.

CG, I do volunteer at the shelter and would offer to try to assist you and any others that want to offer help to the organization. Please feel free to PM me on how I can help and I promise you and anyone else that I'll make sure the right person is reached. They don't have a large staff and greatly appreciate all that volunteer to help...from those that give their time to operate the thrift store (a good fundraising venue for the shelter) to those that walk the dogs or volunteer to greet the people that visit the shelter. I don't doubt that you or others associated with this board tried to approach them but mistakes do happen and perhaps you can try once again.

To confirm what other posters have commented on, IMHS and other Denver-area shelters have saved a significant number of dogs and cats from shelters that put down their animals in an unbelievably short period of time. They save many well-adjusted and great human-companion pets from these other shelters several times throughout the year. I appreciate these actions of our local shelters and hope the community will support them whether with monetary or non-monetary contributions or by volunteering their time.

Peace to all, especially during this difficult time.

08 Jan 2011 18:28 #23 by freebird

MoCat wrote: I agree, there are several organizations that would have helped had they known about this situation before 23 cats were put to death. These cats were waiting to be adopted and have forever living homes. As for the veterinarian that took part in this I wonder about ethics and if any of those that made this decesion really care about the cats.

Please help our community shelters prepare for this type of spreading infection should it occur in the future by identifying the organizations that are willing to help. My request is sincere and I'm not trying to be argumentative. I would think it would be a great idea to adopt an emergency plan to save as many infected or exposed animals if and when it is encountered in the future. This might be a viable option so shouldn't we expend our energies towards a better solution?

08 Jan 2011 18:37 #24 by freebird

CinnamonGirl wrote: ...And I guarantee you had we known before it happened this site would have given a ton. Can't help someone that does not want it.

As I posted above, then let's work together to find a better solution through the form of a viable option should this tragedy happen again. The only solution I see as viable due to the space limitation at the shelter is to find homes that are willing to immediately foster and care for an infected or potentially infected animal. In addition, if some willing to commit to this but don't have the means to pay for the necessary treatments, we can identify those that are willing to help financially.

Our board is filled with compassionate and giving people. Perhaps we can work together to make such a difference in the future.

08 Jan 2011 18:42 #25 by CinnamonGirl

freebird wrote: I know this thread and topic (IMHS actions) is emotionally charged. I understand those questioning why a plea for help wasn't broadcast beforehand. I wonder if the people quoted in CG's earlier post are speaking about a smaller shelter like ours or a larger one with more room to place each infected animal in an isolation place. I also think it is healthy for people to question things and not just accept.

It has already happened and now I think it is important to assess how we might be able to prevent something like this from happening in the future. Instead of tearing down the organization, let's try to learn from the past and find ways to improve in the future.

CG, I do volunteer at the shelter and would offer to try to assist you and any others that want to offer help to the organization. Please feel free to PM me on how I can help and I promise you and anyone else that I'll make sure the right person is reached. They don't have a large staff and greatly appreciate all that volunteer to help...from those that give their time to operate the thrift store (a good fundraising venue for the shelter) to those that walk the dogs or volunteer to greet the people that visit the shelter. I don't doubt that you or others associated with this board tried to approach them but mistakes do happen and perhaps you can try once again.

To confirm what other posters have commented on, IMHS and other Denver-area shelters have saved a significant number of dogs and cats from shelters that put down their animals in an unbelievably short period of time. They save many well-adjusted and great human-companion pets from these other shelters several times throughout the year. I appreciate these actions of our local shelters and hope the community will support them whether with monetary or non-monetary contributions or by volunteering their time.

Peace to all, especially during this difficult time.

I am so glad to hear this. I know that there are well meaning, hard working people at IMHS. In just a few minutes we are launching our new Pet and Animal page. I will PM you with why IMHS is not on it and other details of what we have been doing for the last 7 months.

Thank you Freebird.

08 Jan 2011 19:44 #26 by walktrot
Replied by walktrot on topic sadness
CG, If didn't go in person to speak with someone on the board or meet with the board personally, your attempts to email or leave a phone message may not have gotten to the right person. I urge you again to go in person, prepared to give a presentation covering how you can help IMHS. Don't hold a grudge over this incident. IMHS has done a lot of good and is the last hope for many dogs and cats.

08 Jan 2011 19:59 #27 by CinnamonGirl
Pound dog mom is very experienced and we wanted to help their cause. Believe me we tried everything you suggested to no avail.
We were not asking anything from them we were offering to help them.

08 Jan 2011 21:05 #28 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic sadness
23 cats and kittens put down is a very terrible loss of life

08 Jan 2011 21:54 #29 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic sadness
If you have a donation to make to IMHS just send them the check or donate thru their website. You can even specify what you want the donation to go towards. When I have available money, I just send a check to IMHS. I don't call or email them first and then wait for a reply. I always receive a thank you card in the mail.

09 Jan 2011 13:02 #30 by freebird
To all 285Bound users:

I'm Rebecca Young, Communications Manager for IMHS. I'm contacting you all courtesy of Freebird, one of our wonderful IMHS volunteers. Regretfully, I'm not set up on 285Bound, yet.

I just quickly want to clarify that IMHS' lack of presence on 285Bound is by no means intentional; rather, it's just a case of too much to do, too little time and limited resources.

I started work with IMHS in May of 2010, immediately assuming all responsibility for our marketing, communications and fundraising efforts. I had to catch up and get up to speed on running our Dog Walk and Silent Auction community awareness/fundraisers; as well, I had a learning to go through about maintaining our existing marketing/pr outlets, i.e., our website, blog, Facebook page and community advertising. And, while it may not be an excuse, I was called out-of-state to tend to a family emergency for six weeks in the Fall/Winter of 2010.

If requests from 285Bound were not acknowledged, it's my fault. I let them get buried on my to-do list. Ironically, I met last week with a new volunteer who has offered to provide assistance on maintaining our presence on our local community boards, including 285Bound.

As you know, the devastating developments in the past week have set us back temporarily on implementing this new plan -- but we will get there as soon as we can!

Finally, let me say how very grateful we are to our entire mountain community for their on-going support of animal welfare efforts -- not only the work of IMHS, but that of EAPL, Peke and Pom Rescue, etc., etc. With so many who need our help, in our business, there is no room or need for competition. Every bit of help, financially or otherwise, is critical to the success of all these worthy organizations.

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds