Local Vets/IMHS Ringworm Discussion Reference.

20 Jan 2011 07:39 #21 by LopingAlong

JMC wrote:

Dave OBrien DVM wrote: Dave OBrien DVM

My name is David O’Brien. I am a veterinarian who has practiced in Colorado for 34 years and lived in Pine for 21 years. I have provided volunteer work for the Intermountain Humane Society in the past, and would donate services to the shelter if asked. I presently practice at several clinics, one of which is MaxFund, a large animal shelter in Denver. At present I do not own a practice and stand to gain nothing financially from this response.

The nature of ringworm has been covered extensively by several people on this website already, but I would like to make a couple of points. It is everywhere. It can be isolated from every square foot of soil in these mountains, and it is zoonotic, meaning people can catch it. However, with a minimal amount of training, education, and precaution, transmission is rare. I have treated many ringworm cases and never contracted the disease. Ringworm in people is generally easily treated and cured. Treatment of ringworm in animals has always been successful in my experience. In addition, the cost of treatment is not excessive.

In discussing the topic with the staff at the MaxFund, I was told that at one time they had 30 cats with ringworm. These cats were treated daily by one staff member alone, in addition to his other regular duties, for an average of six weeks. This MaxFund employee felt that treating cats for ringworm was easily accomplished, and he has never contracted ringworm. In addition to the MaxFund, I contacted pertinent personnel for the Cat Care Society, the Denver Dumb Friend’s League and the Denver Municipal Shelter. These shelters differ greatly in their euthanasia policies in general, but none of them euthanize cats with ringworm infection as a matter of policy. They treat these animals, cure them, and find them homes.

We have a responsibility to the animals in a shelter. When an animal comes into a shelter, it’s the shelter’s responsibility to do its best to keep that animal healthy and happy until it can be adopted into a new family. Dealing with ringworm infection in cats is part of running an animal shelter. Euthanasia in such cases is irresponsible and wrong.

The Intermountain Humane Society has a unique posistion to provide a better standard of care for this community than most shelters. This community cares, and provides compassionate support, but also needs the opportunity to have adequate input to assure that proper policies are in effect and practiced. As such, this shelter needs to openly and honestly provide that opportunity, and reflect their supporting community's philosophies in the policies they adopt.

Sincerely,

David G. O’Brien, D.V.M

Would anyone like to comment?

I'll comment. Dave O'Brien, I thank you for your response, for laying out the alternative measures that could have (Should have) been taken. I wish I'd known about this as it went down. I'd have happily volunteered to care for those cats. But I am not affiliated with IMHS as a volunteer or employee and had no knowledge of what was happening.

IMHS, if this happens again, please call me. You all have my number and know where I live. I'll come in daily to clean, feed and care for any animals who develope ringworm or any other issue that is not life threatening. I was a vet tech for years and do know how to do the job. And, I know plenty of others who would also step up to the plate. I understand you made the decision and feel it is the right decision. I just happen to disagree. I will continue to support you, albeit with a wariness I didn't have in the past.
~Tanya Buck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Feb 2011 08:48 #22 by Steve-o
Don't forget that the next BoD for IMHS is this coming Thursday. Please come and show your support to the shelter and/or to the initiative going to work to enhance the euthanasia policy. If you are interested in one of the open board positions, you can get more information and you can sign up or renew your membership so that your vote will count and your voice will be heard on this and other matters related to this very vital organization.

28 Mar 2011 09:31 #23 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Does anyone know what changes, if any, have occurred at IMHS regarding their policy on killing cats for ringworm?

28 Mar 2011 09:55 #24 by JMC

Wily Weasel wrote: Does anyone know what changes, if any, have occurred at IMHS regarding their policy on killing cats for ringworm?

If you pm creaturekeeper or Steve-o I'm sure they can provide an update.

28 Mar 2011 12:25 #25 by Wily Fox aka Angela
no, I want an update that comes from IMHS

28 Mar 2011 12:51 #26 by JMC

Wily Weasel wrote: no, I want an update that comes from IMHS

Sorry,WW, they told us they will not post here (even for adoptions). I think they got bent when we allowed the local vets to question their position on the killing of the cats with ringworm. You may have to call them. My understanding is that they are not changing the existing policy. That is 2nd hand info.

30 Mar 2011 11:12 #27 by Wily Fox aka Angela
unbelievable... I am very upset. I was supporting them, giving them the benefit of the doubt. I will find out and report back.

30 Mar 2011 11:25 #28 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Local Vets/IMHS Ringworm Discussion Reference.
We would like to have some info. If anyone can post it.

15 Apr 2011 17:27 #29 by chickaree
I notice that IMHS has gone very quiet on this. I can only presume that they haven't changed their policy. I'll be distributing my funds accordingly. I find this whole affair incomprehensible.

15 Apr 2011 17:29 #30 by JMC

chickaree wrote: I notice that IMHS has gone very quiet on this. I can only presume that they haven't changed their policy. I'll be distributing my funds accordingly. I find this whole affair incomprehensible.

I agree, EAPL is getting all my $ since IMHS won't even communicate.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds