Local Vets/IMHS Ringworm Discussion Reference.

13 Jan 2011 17:27 #11 by Lucky
Thanks for consolidating this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2011 19:14 #12 by MyMountainTown
The Flume article.

Intermountain Humane Society hit by contagious ringworm fungus

http://theflume.com/main.asp?SectionID= ... cleID=7748

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

16 Jan 2011 09:46 #13 by MyMountainTown

720-608-0285

16 Jan 2011 12:29 #14 by Dave OBrien DVM
Dave OBrien DVM

My name is David O’Brien. I am a veterinarian who has practiced in Colorado for 34 years and lived in Pine for 21 years. I have provided volunteer work for the Intermountain Humane Society in the past, and would donate services to the shelter if asked. I presently practice at several clinics, one of which is MaxFund, a large animal shelter in Denver. At present I do not own a practice and stand to gain nothing financially from this response.

The nature of ringworm has been covered extensively by several people on this website already, but I would like to make a couple of points. It is everywhere. It can be isolated from every square foot of soil in these mountains, and it is zoonotic, meaning people can catch it. However, with a minimal amount of training, education, and precaution, transmission is rare. I have treated many ringworm cases and never contracted the disease. Ringworm in people is generally easily treated and cured. Treatment of ringworm in animals has always been successful in my experience. In addition, the cost of treatment is not excessive.

In discussing the topic with the staff at the MaxFund, I was told that at one time they had 30 cats with ringworm. These cats were treated daily by one staff member alone, in addition to his other regular duties, for an average of six weeks. This MaxFund employee felt that treating cats for ringworm was easily accomplished, and he has never contracted ringworm. In addition to the MaxFund, I contacted pertinent personnel for the Cat Care Society, the Denver Dumb Friend’s League and the Denver Municipal Shelter. These shelters differ greatly in their euthanasia policies in general, but none of them euthanize cats with ringworm infection as a matter of policy. They treat these animals, cure them, and find them homes.

We have a responsibility to the animals in a shelter. When an animal comes into a shelter, it’s the shelter’s responsibility to do its best to keep that animal healthy and happy until it can be adopted into a new family. Dealing with ringworm infection in cats is part of running an animal shelter. Euthanasia in such cases is irresponsible and wrong.

The Intermountain Humane Society has a unique posistion to provide a better standard of care for this community than most shelters. This community cares, and provides compassionate support, but also needs the opportunity to have adequate input to assure that proper policies are in effect and practiced. As such, this shelter needs to openly and honestly provide that opportunity, and reflect their supporting community's philosophies in the policies they adopt.

Sincerely,

David G. O’Brien, D.V.M

16 Jan 2011 13:16 #15 by JMC
Thanks for giving us your opinion on this topic, it is very much appreciated.

16 Jan 2011 13:23 #16 by MyMountainTown
Intermountain Humane Society euthanizes 23 cats after ringworm outbreak

Westword magazine

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/20 ... ociety.php

​Intermountain Humane Society in Pine Junction is embroiled in a controversy sure to stir any animal lover. After an outbreak of ringworm, center personnel decided to euthanize six cats that came down with the ailment, as well as seventeen others, in an effort to halt the epidemic. But as noted in a Channel 7 report, plenty of commenters on message boards like this one feel medical treatment should have been substituted for more drastic measures.

720-608-0285

16 Jan 2011 14:59 #17 by JMC

Dave OBrien DVM wrote: Dave OBrien DVM

My name is David O’Brien. I am a veterinarian who has practiced in Colorado for 34 years and lived in Pine for 21 years. I have provided volunteer work for the Intermountain Humane Society in the past, and would donate services to the shelter if asked. I presently practice at several clinics, one of which is MaxFund, a large animal shelter in Denver. At present I do not own a practice and stand to gain nothing financially from this response.

The nature of ringworm has been covered extensively by several people on this website already, but I would like to make a couple of points. It is everywhere. It can be isolated from every square foot of soil in these mountains, and it is zoonotic, meaning people can catch it. However, with a minimal amount of training, education, and precaution, transmission is rare. I have treated many ringworm cases and never contracted the disease. Ringworm in people is generally easily treated and cured. Treatment of ringworm in animals has always been successful in my experience. In addition, the cost of treatment is not excessive.

In discussing the topic with the staff at the MaxFund, I was told that at one time they had 30 cats with ringworm. These cats were treated daily by one staff member alone, in addition to his other regular duties, for an average of six weeks. This MaxFund employee felt that treating cats for ringworm was easily accomplished, and he has never contracted ringworm. In addition to the MaxFund, I contacted pertinent personnel for the Cat Care Society, the Denver Dumb Friend’s League and the Denver Municipal Shelter. These shelters differ greatly in their euthanasia policies in general, but none of them euthanize cats with ringworm infection as a matter of policy. They treat these animals, cure them, and find them homes.

We have a responsibility to the animals in a shelter. When an animal comes into a shelter, it’s the shelter’s responsibility to do its best to keep that animal healthy and happy until it can be adopted into a new family. Dealing with ringworm infection in cats is part of running an animal shelter. Euthanasia in such cases is irresponsible and wrong.

The Intermountain Humane Society has a unique posistion to provide a better standard of care for this community than most shelters. This community cares, and provides compassionate support, but also needs the opportunity to have adequate input to assure that proper policies are in effect and practiced. As such, this shelter needs to openly and honestly provide that opportunity, and reflect their supporting community's philosophies in the policies they adopt.

Sincerely,

David G. O’Brien, D.V.M

Would anyone like to comment?

16 Jan 2011 16:53 #18 by jf1acai
We need comment from IMHS, IMO.

Nearly everyone else seems to agree that what IMHS did is wrong, yet all I have seen anywhere from IMHS is that they will not even reconsider what they did, or change in any way in the future.

There seems to be a major disconnect here.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Jan 2011 20:10 #19 by jf1acai
It saddens me that IMHS does not appear to be willing to get involved in open discussion about this situation.

I think that open discussion would lead to a satisfactory solution much more quickly than defensiveness. I believe we are all interested in doing the best we can for the animals.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

19 Jan 2011 19:57 #20 by MyMountainTown
From the IMHS website-

The IMHS Board of Directors will meet in open session on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at the Elk Creek Fire Station off Richmond Hill Road. The meeting is open to the public, however, if you wish to be put on the agenda, please provide your name and the topic you wish to discuss in advance. Guest speakers are allowed up to five minutes' presentation time each; a maximum of ten guest speakers will be included on the agenda. All requests to be included on the agenda must be received by IMHS no later than Monday, January 17, 2011 by 5 pm. Please click here . to email your name and presentation topic.

720-608-0285

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds