What's Your Favorite Quote?

08 Oct 2014 20:12 #1 by ScienceChic
Though I am known for having long posts at times, I love the wisdom that can be found in short snippets of words. Sometimes a quote just sums up the mood, feelings, and/or experience of the moment. I thought I'd start a collection here, please add yours!

This was my original signature quote for the longest time, and still my all-time favorite for it applies to pretty much everything in life.
"I can think of nothing more gallant, even though again and again we fail, than attempting to get at the facts; attempting to tell things as they really are. For at least reality, though never fully attained, can be defined. Reality is that which, when you don't believe in it, doesn't go away." ~Peter Viereck
Last lecture, Mount Holyoke College, 1997. (Quoted in Profile, New Yorker, October 24, 2005, by Tom Reiss)

Science...because it is all that and a bag of chips. :P :labexplosio
‘I’ll tell you what you need to be a great scientist. You don’t have to be able understand very complicated things. It’s just the opposite. You have to be able to see what looks like the most complicated thing in the world and, in a flash, find the underlying simplicity. That’s what you need: a talent for simplicity.’
~Mitchell Wilson

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
~Buckminster Fuller

And a little humor, cuz this one makes me chuckle every time I read it. :biggrin:
“I love how the internet has improved people’s grammar far more than any English teacher has. If you write “your” instead of “you’re” in English class, all you get is a red mark. Mess up on the internet, and may God have mercy on your soul. ~K Whatley

Wine is the answer. What was the question? ~Unknown
:oregonwine:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Oct 2014 21:05 #2 by otisptoadwater
"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you." - A Senior Master Chief who shall remain nameless addressing a very junior enlisted Otis in CTR A school, NTTC Corry Station Pensacola Florida.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"Fix the problems now, have your panic attack in private later on when it won't effect operations." CDR Spike Rumley, USN

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." - Leonardo da Vinci

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Oct 2014 07:45 #3 by Nobody that matters

ScienceChic wrote: Though I am known for having long posts at times, I love the wisdom that can be found in short snippets of words.
Wine is the answer. What was the question? ~Unknown
:oregonwine:

Only one of your quotes could be called a snippet, the others are paragraphs. :biggrin:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J Hanlon

"Whatever you are, be a good one" Abraham Lincoln

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
--Robert Heinlein

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Oct 2014 09:11 #4 by homeagain
"When they FIRST show you who they are...believe them"...Maya Angelo

"The most common way people give up their power is thinking they don't have any"...Alice Walker

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth"...Albert Enstein.

09 Oct 2014 10:08 #5 by Blazer Bob
I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do is to shut up.

Tom Lehrer

09 Oct 2014 15:37 #6 by Photo-fish
You can lead a gift horse before the cart, but you can't stone a moss.

My Grandmother
(she liked her whiskey)

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

09 Oct 2014 22:20 #7 by Wicked
Replied by Wicked on topic What's Your Favorite Quote?
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

Gloria Steinem

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.

10 Oct 2014 07:53 #8 by homeagain

Wicked wrote: The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

Gloria Steinem

OH HELL YES...I forgot this quality quote...one of my fav's also.

15 Oct 2014 21:34 #9 by Wicked
Replied by Wicked on topic What's Your Favorite Quote?
“Guilt is not a response to anger; it is a response to one’s own actions or lack of action. If it leads to change then it can be useful, since it is then no longer guilt but the beginning of knowledge. Yet all too often, guilt is just another name for impotence, for defensiveness destructive of communication; it becomes a device to protect ignorance and the continuation of things the way they are, the ultimate protection for changelessness.”
― Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches

www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Ginger/ginger-article2.htm

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.
Attachments:

16 Oct 2014 08:28 #10 by ComputerBreath
The one below was first quoted to me by SMSgt Curt Luce when I was assigned to the 96th Air Refueling Squadron at Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington. He had to say it a few times for me to actually "get" it...now I say it and sometimes the person I'm saying it to gets the lightbulb above their head...other times, I have to explain it to them.
~~ "I hear the wind blowing, but I see no movement."

The one below was written to me in a letter my dad, Richard L. Talbott Sr., sent me when I was stationed at Blytheville Air Force Base, Arkansas...
~~ "If you treat every situation as a life or death situation, you will die a thousand times."

I must have been in 11th or 12th grade in a History class taught by Mr. Gary Bird when at Glenwood Springs High School and he gave the class a bunch of Time Magazines to read. As I was reading, I noticed the part of the magazine that talked about deaths and saw that Martin Luther King Sr (Junior's father)had died (I just looked up when he died...it was in November 1984, so I was in 12th grade). Anyways, his biography said that his eldest son Martin Luther King Jr was murdered in 1968, his youngest child and second son died of drowning in 1969 and his wife was murdered in 1974. I was absolutely in awe that someone could experience so much loss and pain in such a short period of time...it had been not quite six years since my little sister had been murdered. Then I read the below quote attributed to Martin Luther King Sr and it struck me to my soul and has resounded with me since then. If he could forgive and not hate with what he'd experienced...then I could too. It brought peace to a young 17 year old girl's life! I immediately wrote the quote down on a piece of notebook paper and have carried it with me in my purse for 30 years.
~~ "Nothing a man does takes him lower than when he allows himself to fall so low as to hate anyone." Martin Luther King, Sr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds