Local Foothills Weather Forecasts

15 Jul 2015 06:18 #21 by NeutralGuy
Yes, I remember the big snow 7 1/2 feet at my house with some drifts over 12 feet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2015 12:22 #22 by HappyCamper
Storms started rolling through Evergreen about an hour ago.

10 Aug 2015 12:50 #23 by Chief Meteorologist
You've got an isolated cell over the Evergreen area at the moment. We're tracking it on NEXRAD KFTG. We're going to see some upslope and orographic development all afternoon. Nothing severe is expected, however I would not be surprised to see some small hail from these. More widespread rain is forecast later this afternoon into tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

10 Aug 2015 14:43 #24 by ScienceChic
The hail you showed pictures of on your Facebook page that hit Elizabeth and made the ground look white got me all depressed thinking winter is almost here. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Aug 2015 14:47 #25 by HappyCamper
Hubby came from Conifer about an hour ago and got hit with hail right by Marshdale he hid under a tree so when it quits raining here in Evergreen we will have to see if there is any damage.

He said it about the size of a marble and when it quit there was about 3 to 4 inches on the ground.

10 Aug 2015 14:53 #26 by Chief Meteorologist
Yes. And we are heading into the first full-blown El Nino winter in quite some time. As you know, we usually get two or three major snowstorms in El Nino winters here along the Front Range. Personally, I enjoy the big snows, as long as the power stays on and I don't have to go anywhere. What I do not care for is the "dry, windy cold" where it's -10, cloudy and doing nothing but being windy.

11 Aug 2015 10:54 #27 by mountaindollar
I don't mind the rain but can we do without the hail today!!!

All of my flowers in Bailey got crushed yesterday and the daisies were just getting pretty.

13 Aug 2015 20:30 #28 by HappyCamper
So Steve what do you think or is the jury still out?

kdvr.com/2015/08/13/el-nino-2015-what-do...t-mean-for-colorado/

14 Aug 2015 09:07 #29 by Chief Meteorologist
Well, for weather in Colorado, the jury is always out LOL. I think every TV station did an article about El Nino this week. But, it is a hot topic. My take on the whole thing is that we will most likely have a snowy fall (possibly including a Halloween snowstorm), and then things will get quiet from about Christmas until early March. During winter, we'll flux between warm spells and cold snaps. Then an active spring with a couple of significant wet-snow events. All of this is speculation based on what I've seen since moving to the Denver/Front Range area in 1979.

The strength of this El Nino is one of many factors we'll have to watch. Sometimes when El Nino is this strong, it pushes the southern branch of the Jet Stream a few hundred miles south, giving us nothing. Matt Makens from KMGH did a really good blog yesterday, including the position of the southern Jet. As we know, this is critical to our Front Range snowfall. If it's off by even 50 miles, it makes a huge difference.

What we can (and will) do, is watch. Every meteorologist in the state has their eyes on what this strong of an El Nino will mean for Colorado. We're wanting to record and try to predict it. But keep in mind, there are other atmospheric patterns we have to consider. The "biggies" are the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, The Atlantic Multi-Decadal Oscillation and the Madden-Julian Oscillation. The other smaller factors are local terrain, local surface wind vectors, dew point, temperature, localized cold-air Jet support and upper-level winds. The Madden-Julian oscillation happens faster than El Nino/La Nina or ENSO. MJO has an effect on mid-latitude temperatures.

You can see, there is a lot that goes into making a big snowstorm. It's not just El Nino. Of course, now we have to add in the effects of Human intervention and what some meteorologists call Global Warming. If it's too warm over the northern Pacific, we end up with a high pressure ridge and cold, dry weather. That's why we are watching temperatures in the Gulf of Alaska now.

As you may have already seen, it's a big picture thing that has to be considered in order for us to narrow things down to our smaller Front Range picture. You've seen my general predictions above, which is based on climate history during a strong El Nino year. This particular El Nino is almost in the "super" category, or very strong. We are all going to be tracking things and making very good observations this year to see how we do with the coming Winter. I'm actually looking forward to it, because no two El Nino Winters are ever the same for Colorado. We hope for major snowfall. We may end up cold and dry. And, as climate-change continues, that is going to have to be factored in.

Stay tuned...

Meteorologist Steve Hamilton
The following user(s) said Thank You: HappyCamper

14 Aug 2015 11:03 #30 by HappyCamper
Well I guess we will all just have to wait and see but glad your hear to warn us should you see something developing.

I don't mind the snow as long as it is on a day I don't have to drive anywhere and the power stays on.

Hubby likes it on Sunday so he does not feel guilty camping out on the couch watching football and having a beer :cheersbeer: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief Meteorologist

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds