Local Foothills Weather Forecasts

29 Jun 2015 13:34 #11 by jf1acai
My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Of course they come first.

I think it is wonderful that you and he are getting this set up, Thank You!

But, I still have to harass you when I get the chance :P :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2015 14:03 #12 by NeutralGuy
Hope all goes well.

We are all looking forward to having you here!!!

08 Jul 2015 12:37 #13 by ScienceChic
The first forecasts are up! mymountaintown.com/weather-traffic/super-local-weather

We're keeping it simple for now, but expect Steve to be updating in the morning and afternoon, and as-needed when severe weather rolls in.

Please let us know what you think, what you'd like to see, what you like, what we can do to improve, and please ask any questions you have for Steve!

Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Jul 2015 16:03 #14 by ScienceChic
I have a question for our Chief Meteorologist, when he has a moment to post. :) What are your thoughts on this?

Yeah, Colorado's Been Wet Lately -- And Here Comes Monsoon Season
By Colorado Public Radio Staff
Jul 9, 2015

No question about it, we've had a wet spring and early summer. And now it looks like the rest of the summer could be even soggier than usual.

Mid-July is the start of Colorado’s monsoon season, and it could get a boost from all the recent rain and the vegetation that wet weather has produced. David Barjenbruch, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Boulder, told CPR News' Mike Lamp that more grass, brush and trees put more moisture in the air -- and that comes back as rain.

- See more at: www.cpr.org/news/story/yeah-colorados-be...sthash.QysgCogl.dpuf

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Jul 2015 17:33 #15 by HappyCamper
I have the answer SC...Become a DUCK :ohmy: :P

14 Jul 2015 12:42 #16 by Chief Meteorologist
I'll give you my personal thoughts on this, because everyone has a different opinion. The "normal" atmospheric patterns have been somewhat disrupted this year so far. We've had highly-amplified high pressure ridges, but more low pressure troughs, over Colorado. Hence the increased rainfall. July is normally one of our driest months, and that has held true so far, except for some isolated heavy-rain events. July and August are the traditional months where we get the monsoon. Keep in mind, a "monsoon" is not just a rainy season. The term "monsoon" refers to both a wet and dry season. The word describes a seasonal shift in weather patterns from wet to dry and back again. Now, for this year, we've had a taste of some "monsoon" rain already, thanks to a couple of low pressure areas that have ridden the Jet Stream to our south. We are also transitioning to an El Nino by this Autumn, according to recent data. If this holds true, the wet part of the monsoon may be interrupted and occur earlier or later than usual. We also don't know the effect the El Nino transition will have on the amount of rain we will receive. The best-case scenario is for a later wet monsoon, to decrease the fire danger in August/September/October. This is still being researched. We will know when the wet part of the monsoon comes back, based on satellite water vapor imagery. And, I'll keep you posted here of course. This doesn't completely answer the question for this year, because frankly we simply do not yet know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, RenegadeCJ

14 Jul 2015 12:44 #17 by Chief Meteorologist
Yeah, but then you'd have to go find your own food, and you'd be wet all the time. ;-)

14 Jul 2015 13:58 #18 by ScienceChic

Chief Meteorologist wrote: Yeah, but then you'd have to go find your own food, and you'd be wet all the time. ;-)

My kids resemble that remark. :P

14 Jul 2015 17:19 - 15 Jul 2015 06:15 #19 by NeutralGuy
Thanks for the information can't wait to hear what you think this winter will be. Everyone says bad but the last two winters in my opinion for our area were pretty mild.

Quack Quack

14 Jul 2015 18:57 #20 by Chief Meteorologist
Hi NeutralGuy... It's a little early to tell what this winter will mean for us here along the Front Range. If you talk to 20 meteorologists, you'll get 25 different opinions. I try to look at the available data and formulate a likely scenario based on that. Could be right, could be wrong. El Nino is a tricky and variable anomaly. It all has to do with the position of the southern branch of the jet stream. If it's in the right spot, we tend to get hammered with a decent snowstorm about once a month, with a few smaller events in between. Temperatures vary widely too in an El Nino event. I'm expecting fresh data from NOAA this month, and their model runs will probably point to something significant. Their next long-term forecast for El Nino will cover fall and early winter. Once that's out, I'll be posting some info, since this greatly affects us here in the Front Range. Remember 2003 when we had 70 inches of snow in the foothills? - Steve

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds