Local Foothills Weather Forecasts

14 Aug 2015 16:51 #41 by ScienceChic

Chief Meteorologist wrote: The weather at game-time only affects the air pressure inside a football at a very minimal level. So, the only times I'd have an advantage would be for Patriots games.

LOL!
File Attachment:

See more on Know Your Meme

Chief Meteorologist wrote: I'd like to try my hand at Fantasy Football, but I don't know the rules all that well. If you can enlighten me, I'm happy to give it a try. ;)

The rules can vary league to league, but essentially you try to pick players that you know will play on a regular basis and hopefully themselves score at least once a game if not more. It's a different mindset because you are focused on the individual players; however, you have to take into account how well the whole team plays against their opponent that week (for example, Manning has a horrible record playing in Foxboro in cold weather, so while he's great to have on your fantasy team, if he's playing an away game against Belicheck in December, you will want to have a backup QB on another team who you can play instead). Most leagues award 6 points for touchdowns scored by wide receivers and running backs, 3 points for kickers making field goals, etc, same as the team actually scores, but then there can also be points scored by defenses for forcing turnovers and preventing an opponent from scoring at all - it depends upon what the participants want to set up. You can also allow negative points to accumulate, say for example, taking away 4 points for every interception by a QB or fumble by a running back.

To make a short story long, ;) I'm not 100% what our exact league rules are, but they are spelled out somewhere in our league website once you get registered. If you aren't comfortable picking your own players, you can do an auto-draft where ESPN chooses your team for you. The last two winners of our league used autodraft so it's not a death sentence to go that route. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2015 22:59 #42 by HappyCamper
Ok, just got back from a wedding but we left here in DCVR at about 4:10 and with the wind and the rain it looked like a hurricane!!

My driveway is washed out big time but hey the past few years we are use to that. I wish I had a rain meter as when we left it was crazy.

Wedding was in Evergreen and we just got light showers there.

16 Aug 2015 09:18 #43 by Chief Meteorologist
There is a program you can join to become a weather observer. It's the Colorado Collaborative Rain and Hail Study. www.cocorahs.org . They have gauges for $30.00. I also have some, since I'm the Coordinator for Denver. Give me a shout if you want one. They are the next-best thing to an $800.00 brass "official" gauge. In fact, we did tests and they were only off by less than 0.01 inches. (Or maybe the expensive gauge was off LOL.)

Anyway, I have some if you want one. Just let me know.

- Steve

16 Aug 2015 09:35 #44 by HappyCamper

Chief Meteorologist wrote: There is a program you can join to become a weather observer. It's the Colorado Collaborative Rain and Hail Study. www.cocorahs.org . They have gauges for $30.00. I also have some, since I'm the Coordinator for Denver. Give me a shout if you want one. They are the next-best thing to an $800.00 brass "official" gauge. In fact, we did tests and they were only off by less than 0.01 inches. (Or maybe the expensive gauge was off LOL.)

Anyway, I have some if you want one. Just let me know.

- Steve

Thanks I will take a look at the website and see what they want you to do.

My best guess is that we were about 2 inches of rain that day.

Sounds like we could have another big weather day today!!!

16 Aug 2015 09:57 #45 by Mountain-News-Events
It certainly does. Forecast for Conifer, Morrison, Evergreen, Pine, & Bailey:
mymountaintown.com/weather-traffic/super-local-weather

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rain.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

16 Aug 2015 12:32 #46 by HappyCamper
The clouds are beginning to build and they do look angry today the picture does not do them justice.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MountainTownAlerts, Chief Meteorologist

16 Aug 2015 13:07 #47 by HappyCamper
Same picture about 35 minutes apart it is now raining in DCVR and the thunder is going.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MountainTownAlerts

23 Aug 2015 09:11 #48 by HappyCamper
Sure wish that they would get some help from Mother Nature on the wildfires in the Western US.

My eyes are burning bad from the smoke but that is nothing compared to what I am sure they are going through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief Meteorologist

23 Aug 2015 12:37 - 23 Aug 2015 12:38 #49 by MountainTownAlerts
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief Meteorologist

23 Aug 2015 13:06 - 23 Aug 2015 13:08 #50 by Chief Meteorologist
This is a good site for tracking air pollution: airquality.weather.gov/

It gives the current ozone concentrations. Brighter colors indicate worse air quality. This is updated pretty frequently by NOAA.

It is indeed hard to believe that smoke from Montana and Washington is making it all the way down here. But, remember when Mt. St. Helens exploded in 1980? We had ash on our windshields here in Denver. When particulates make it into the mid and upper atmosphere, they can travel great distances before settling out of the air.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds