Local Foothills Weather Forecasts

14 Aug 2015 11:20 - 14 Aug 2015 11:20 #31 by Chief Meteorologist
I feel the same way. I do all my work from a specially-modified studio, located... (drum roll) At my house! :)

We're going to be making some upgrades on the weather page here soon, including some handy graphics, and explanations of what I'm talking about. And of course, when we have something big coming, I'll be on top of the situation for you.

Believe it or not, most of the meteorologists in Denver are all friends of mine, and we occasionally collaborate if there's a big event happening. I also have close contact with plenty of people at NOAA and other forecast outlets. We all chat and come up with a consensus of what's probably going to happen.

We're in the Dog Days now, but I have a hunch that cold weather will be slapping us in the face early this year, and then we'll go back to warmth for a while before the real Winter sets in.

I always tell people to check the forecast often. I hear complaints from people saying things like, "You said it was going to be sunny this weekend and it rained!" Well, more often than not, they checked the forecast Monday for the following weekend, and then did not bother checking again, LOL.

- Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2015 12:35 #32 by ScienceChic
Oh goodie, spiffy new graphics! Yay!

Hey, are you a football fan Steve, or do you know anyone who likes Fantasy Football? We need a few more to join our league!
mymountaintown.com/forum/15-the-sports-f...ootball-time-of-year

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Aug 2015 12:40 - 14 Aug 2015 12:41 #33 by HappyCamper
Wait he might have an unfair advantage knowing what the weather is going to be in all of the cities might have to have a new thread for game time forecasts. :biggrin:

14 Aug 2015 12:48 #34 by HappyCamper
Weather is moving in over the divide right now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief Meteorologist

14 Aug 2015 12:52 #35 by ScienceChic

HappyCamper wrote: Wait he might have an unfair advantage knowing what the weather is going to be in all of the cities might have to have a new thread for game time forecasts. :biggrin:

Hmm, you may have a point there and I like the solution you've suggested! :P

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Aug 2015 13:14 #36 by FredHayek
So do the dire warnings of Super El Nino this winter appear valid? Should I split another couple cords of wood? Or wait until you get more data? :campfire:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Aug 2015 16:15 - 14 Aug 2015 16:16 #37 by Chief Meteorologist
The weather at game-time only affects the air pressure inside a football at a very minimal level. So, the only times I'd have an advantage would be for Patriots games.

14 Aug 2015 16:23 #38 by Chief Meteorologist
Split more wood. Always be prepared. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Those are the best cliche sayings I can come up with, (except for the one about splitting wood, which is mere advice).

The media outlets really make a lot of money off stories like this. Doom & Gloom = Ratings = $$$. So, they do their best to hype things. Matt Makens at KMGH did a really good piece about what is likely to happen, and it isn't hype at all. But what is strange is this: I hear all sorts of "trending" national stories about El Nino. It does not affect the entire nation in the same way. I actually saw a story saying "Record Setting El Nino: Snow And Cold For U-S This Winter". That is absolute garbage. Don't waste time reading that kind of stuff.

As I mentioned in a different string here, there are at least 10 other factors that contribute to whether we're going to get a huge snowstorm along the front range. I'll cite 2003 and the 70+ inches in some Foothills communities. That one skewed the entire season, and it only lasted three days.

What I'd recommend for us here, is to keep posted on weather. Either check out my forecasts on MMT, or NOAA Weather Radio, or even email me personally. With all the other factors in play, it's impossible to say how often, how bad, or how many in reference to snowstorms.

For the wood, yes. Split another cord or two, just in case ;)

14 Aug 2015 16:26 #39 by Chief Meteorologist
Nice image! I love the trees ;)

We have a low-level air flow from the SE, and mid-level flow from the SW. Thunderstorms are popping up, as forecast. Most of these are going to be short-lived, but you might get a brief soaking, and even some small hail cannot be ruled out. There is plenty of warm air in the mid-levels to generate strong updrafts with equal potential hail.

Just stay inside when the lightning comes!

- Steve

14 Aug 2015 16:27 #40 by Chief Meteorologist
I'd like to try my hand at Fantasy Football, but I don't know the rules all that well. If you can enlighten me, I'm happy to give it a try. ;)

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds