Lime Gulch Fire-Evacs Lifted, Estimated Containment 6/23!

21 Jun 2013 16:26 #321 by Reverend Revelant

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2013 16:30 #322 by CinnamonGirl
Thanks Walter, I am going to go run some errands. I think you guys are on it but if I hear any breaking news I will let you know as I know you will post if you hear. Stay safe and have a great night.

Hope for rain.

21 Jun 2013 16:41 #323 by Joann Lavis
a big thank you goes to the folks that have the scanner back up.. :)

21 Jun 2013 16:50 #324 by CinnamonGirl

Joann Lavis wrote: a big thank you goes to the folks that have the scanner back up.. :)

I will pass that on.

21 Jun 2013 17:18 #325 by Joann Lavis
sounds like ffs need help, just heard an all call +( calfornia fire talk ) for any ffs not on scene to report
to base 1 for a fire assignmnet= scanner

21 Jun 2013 17:37 #326 by jf1acai
Sorry for the late response, Walter, I have been out of touch today working on a project without radio or Internet access.

I haven't had time yet to look at the scans from the briefing that you posted, will try to do that in a bit.

As a general rule the USFS Incident Management Teams (and also the county Type 3 Incident Management Teams) do not release the frequencies that they will use on an incident. They do not want "casual listeners" to be hearing those communications. The last time I worked with one of them I was told that the frequencies and communications thereon were to be considered confidential, and were not to be released to non-authorized personnel. For that reason I will not provide it, even if I have it :wink:

I believe that policy has been relaxed a bit in recent years, mostly on an individual IC basis. And as you noted, they use entirely narrow band frequencies, mostly analog. You may or may not be successful listening to them on a wide band receiver. They also may change frequencies from day to day.

Another reason why you may have trouble receiving their fire communications, even if you know the frequencies and have a suitable receiver, is that they use portable repeaters set up specifically to cover only the area of the incident.

I realize this is not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it is helpful anyway.

BTW, I hope you do not hear the codes you provided used by any fire departments on an incident. Per ICS and NIMS, communications are to be clear only, no codes, for interoperability and better understanding by personnel involved. Law enforcement, however, does still use codes - they have not entirely embraced ICS or NIMS.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

21 Jun 2013 17:43 #327 by CinnamonGirl

21 Jun 2013 17:47 #328 by Reverend Revelant

jf1acai wrote: [snip]

As a general rule the USFS Incident Management Teams (and also the county Type 3 Incident Management Teams) do not release the frequencies that they will use on an incident. They do not want "casual listeners" to be hearing those communications. The last time I worked with one of them I was told that the frequencies and communications thereon were to be considered confidential, and were not to be released to non-authorized personnel. For that reason I will not provide it, even if I have it :wink:

I believe that policy has been relaxed a bit in recent years, mostly on an individual IC basis. And as you noted, they use entirely narrow band frequencies, mostly analog. You may or may not be successful listening to them on a wide band receiver. They also may change frequencies from day to day.

[snip]

Well. in this case they must have really relaxed... Incident Commander Dan Dallas gave me his copy of today's Incident Action Plan... with his signatures on it (not a copy of the documents)... these were his originals that he signed off on.

The Incident Action Plan had a page of the frequencies they were using today... plus the frequencies being used by the support agencies (like Elk Creek). Of course, when I saw that most of the frequencies were narrowband, I knew my Radio Shack Pro-50 would not be able to listen to them... well... not clearly... although the Air Ground Primary worked fine for most of the morning... then got a little dodgy later this afternoon.

I'm not very shy in asking for information and usually a direct approach, like you really know what you're doing works best. Besides... I think he was taken aback yesterday by my question at the Q&A portion of the press briefing about the compatibility of the various radio systems being used. I don't think he wants to go there.

P.S. I used to have a number of fancy handheld scanners and a 2 meter TR but I've sold off most of my toys. Kept the RS Pro-50 so I could get the 2 meter repeaters.

21 Jun 2013 19:01 #329 by Reverend Revelant
Update: 498 acres and 15% containment... Jeffco sheriff.

21 Jun 2013 19:09 #330 by otisptoadwater

Walter L Newton wrote: Update: 498 acres and 15% containment... Jeffco sheriff.

Finally some progress! I was worried as the wind kicked up this afternoon out of the northwest that there would be more spotting and movement. Hats off to all of the first responders and fingers crossed for those still in harms way.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds