Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

03 Jun 2011 18:48 #61 by LadyJazzer
Freedom FROM religion is implied as well. Nobody is going to tell me what I have to believe...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2011 18:49 #62 by archer

neptunechimney wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: So, you can all breathe easier... An incantation to an invisible being will be allowed....

As an atheist, I don't really give a carp about that. I just find it curious that liberals are so amenable to censorship when it suits them.

It is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

If that were actually true then why do righties get so upset when muslims get to practice their religion in public places? And no one answered the question.....would you support the prayer at graduation if it were a muslim prayer? (or did I just miss the answer?)

03 Jun 2011 18:55 #63 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: Freedom FROM religion is implied as well. Nobody is going to tell me what I have to believe...

Is anyone trying? I mean other than right wing boogie men you read about at media matters or somewhere similar.

03 Jun 2011 18:56 #64 by Kate

PrintSmith wrote:

Kate wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: How about we put it up to a democratic vote of the students who are graduating whether or not they wish to receive a benediction instead of letting a single student, that student's parents and a judge decide what will or will not happen at their graduation?

Now you have just confirmed that it's okay by you if religion is imposed on others, since the majority rules.

Got news for you Kate. It only takes 75% of the states to amend the Constitution. If the 80% of us who believe in God ever decide to band together and decide to allow the states to establish religion once again via Constitutional amendment there isn't a blessed thing you can do about it. Keep pushing such ridiculous nonsense like this and we may be convinced we actually need to do it just to put an end to it. This ludicrous nonsense about any prayer in a public building being a violation of the establishment of religion grows tiresome. Tell me Kate, which religion does the mention of God establish as the state religion. Catholicism, Anglican, Methodist, Judaism, Lutheran, Quaker, Seventh Day Adventist or perhaps even Islam? How about the utterance of "Amen"? Unless and until you can eliminate every religion other than one that is established when "God" is invoked, your premise fails. Christianity is not a religion, by the way, anymore than American is a race.

Thanks for the civics lesson. I had absolutely no idea how to amend the US Constitution.

Keep pushing your religion on others and see just how far your amendments actually get in the States. I'm sure that you, a self proclaimed expert on the Constitution, know that this country was founded on, among other things, religious freedom.

Which religion? Any religion that invokes a deity or deities. Surprised that I have to explain that to you.

Prayer at taxpayer funded events like this, or celebrating religions on public lands, etc, is in fact an endorsement of religion with a wink and a nod. Let down your guard for one moment and you know what will happen next? Sharia law, like you've all proclaimed for so long now. Allow any religion to be endorsed by the government will allow a foothold for any religion to take over and impose their religious laws. Again, I'm surprised you cannot see that.

BTW - Christianity is indeed a religion. Surprised yet again that I had to explain that to you.

03 Jun 2011 18:59 #65 by Kate

neptunechimney wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: Freedom FROM religion is implied as well. Nobody is going to tell me what I have to believe...

Is anyone trying? I mean other than right wing boogie men you read about at media matters or somewhere similar.

When people attending a High School graduation are expected to sit through a ceremony where the worship and acknowledgement of a deity is invoked, it is indeed an implicit indication that this is what we all believe. That's forcing a religion on those who may not want it.

03 Jun 2011 19:03 #66 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote: [
If that were actually true then why do righties get so upset when muslims get to practice their religion in public places? And no one answered the question.....would you support the prayer at graduation if it were a muslim prayer? (or did I just miss the answer?)

I guess you missed it. They can sacrifice a goat for all I care. ( As long as it is done humanely and the ceremony is dismissed before Obeerthirty). I hate long ceremonies and meetings. I get ansi at tea party meetings. Thank God for cell phone interruptions.

03 Jun 2011 19:06 #67 by Blazer Bob
Kate, I have always found it prudent to stop posting after about 8 beers or 6 shots. woot woot

Kate wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

Kate wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: How about we put it up to a democratic vote of the students who are graduating whether or not they wish to receive a benediction instead of letting a single student, that student's parents and a judge decide what will or will not happen at their graduation?

Now you have just confirmed that it's okay by you if religion is imposed on others, since the majority rules.

Got news for you Kate. It only takes 75% of the states to amend the Constitution. If the 80% of us who believe in God ever decide to band together and decide to allow the states to establish religion once again via Constitutional amendment there isn't a blessed thing you can do about it. Keep pushing such ridiculous nonsense like this and we may be convinced we actually need to do it just to put an end to it. This ludicrous nonsense about any prayer in a public building being a violation of the establishment of religion grows tiresome. Tell me Kate, which religion does the mention of God establish as the state religion. Catholicism, Anglican, Methodist, Judaism, Lutheran, Quaker, Seventh Day Adventist or perhaps even Islam? How about the utterance of "Amen"? Unless and until you can eliminate every religion other than one that is established when "God" is invoked, your premise fails. Christianity is not a religion, by the way, anymore than American is a race.

Thanks for the civics lesson. I had absolutely no idea how to amend the US Constitution.

Keep pushing your religion on others and see just how far your amendments actually get in the States. I'm sure that you, a self proclaimed expert on the Constitution, know that this country was founded on, among other things, religious freedom.

Which religion? Any religion that invokes a deity or deities. Surprised that I have to explain that to you.

Prayer at taxpayer funded events like this, or celebrating religions on public lands, etc, is in fact an endorsement of religion with a wink and a nod. Let down your guard for one moment and you know what will happen next? Sharia law, like you've all proclaimed for so long now. Allow any religion to be endorsed by the government will allow a foothold for any religion to take over and impose their religious laws. Again, I'm surprised you cannot see that.

BTW - Christianity is indeed a religion. Surprised yet again that I had to explain that to you.

03 Jun 2011 19:14 #68 by Kate

neptunechimney wrote: Kate, I have always found it prudent to stop posting after about 8 beers or 6 shots. woot woot

Then stop posting.

03 Jun 2011 19:20 #69 by Blazer Bob

Kate wrote:

neptunechimney wrote: Kate, I have always found it prudent to stop posting after about 8 beers or 6 shots. woot woot

Then stop posting.

Touche.

03 Jun 2011 19:46 #70 by jf1acai

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Can someone explain to me how "Congress" was involved in this at all, or how any religion was being established?

It appears to me that some individuals were and are attempting to prohibit the free exercise therof.

When someone has problems, and I say that they are in my prayers, am I forcing my religion, whatever that may be, down their throat? :no2:

This is nothing more than PC BS, IMO.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds